Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    an sum1 plzz give me an exact definition of an ionic bond...not the formation ust wat an ionic bond is. thanx for any replies

nemo

ReputationRep:
    "A chemical bond in which atoms of opposite charge are held together by electrostatic attraction."

"A chemical bond in which electrons are transferred from one atom to another so that one bears a positive and the other a negative charge, the electrostatic attraction between these opposite charges forming the bond."

There's two basic definitions, I suppose. I'm only a GCSE student, I don't know if the theory changes slightly at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    thanx a ton

ReputationRep:
    It's the electrostatic attraction between two oppositely charged ions. The most important bit of that definition is 'electrostatic attraction'. In the exam, if you don't put that, you're not going to get the mark.

ReputationRep:
    cool thanx..theres no prob in sayin a 'short-range' electrostatic attraction is there?

ReputationRep:
    Well... Not really. If anything it's one of those extra things that if you put in an exam could (but probably not) confuse the examiner marking your script. It's unneccesary, basically, but there's not major problem in putting it down.

ReputationRep:
    while we talking about bonds, can sum1 explain the difference between van der waals forces and hydrogen bonds? If im not mistaken hydrogen bonds can also be formed if no hydrogen is present rite?? so then wats the difference?

ReputationRep:
    Hydrogen bonds are only between Hydogen and either Nitrogen, Oxygen and Fluorine because of the difference in electronegativity.

ReputationRep:
    Simply, Van der Waals forces are the weak forces of attraction between atoms or molecules.

However, a hydrogen bond is a type of attractive intermolecular force that exists between two partial electric charges of opposite polarity, only occuring between H (with ∂+ charge) and O, N or F atoms that have a ∂- charge.

Also, hydrogen bonds are weaker than ionic bonds and covalent bonds.

ReputationRep:
    alrite thanx again i always get confused with those 2 lolz..

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 9, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.