Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sammmmmmmmmme. :eek: I'm going to be 17 for most of the 1st year at uni. And most of teh peoeple in my year at school were 6-12 months older than me. :/

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah you will hate it.. mine is july and it was rubbish. fake ID is your best chance... otherwise you're a girl so just wear a low cut top and youll probably get into clubs anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    And I agree with PQ - being you is actually pretty cool
    yep
    you finish secondary school at 15 :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a July and I'm right in the middle of my year

ReputationRep:
    I'm the 2nd youngest in my year (and there's 260 kids in my year!) and yes, it's VERY annoying! The most annoying thing though is not being able to get a job when all my friends can.

It's also weird that I was born a few days early and if I'd been born on my proper 'due date' I would've been in the year below now, and the kids in the year below me are generally v.annoying - I'm so glad I managed to get into my yeargroup!

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    just have a gap year, then you'l be the oldest?

ReputationRep:
    Had I been on time i'd have been in the year below :eek: thank goodness for prematurity

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel. I'm born in February (cut off dates end of Feb) so i just made it into my year. Sucks cos all my mates are turning 16 this year (or already have) and i need to wait til next year. Whats good about it is, that a lot of my mates out of school are in the year below me but cos i'm one of the youngest , they're only a few months younger than me so i can still feel older than some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    I know how you feel. I'm born in February (cut off dates end of Feb) so i just made it into my year. Sucks cos all my mates are turning 16 this year (or already have) and i need to wait til next year. Whats good about it is, that a lot of my mates out of school are in the year below me but cos i'm one of the youngest , they're only a few months younger than me so i can still feel older than some people.
    Same as me need_money. :eek: :love:

ReputationRep:
    Its great being the youngest except for when you need ID for something... then it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    I'm the 2nd youngest in my year (and there's 260 kids in my year!) and yes, it's VERY annoying! The most annoying thing though is not being able to get a job when all my friends can.

It's also weird that I was born a few days early and if I'd been born on my proper 'due date' I would've been in the year below now, and the kids in the year below me are generally v.annoying - I'm so glad I managed to get into my yeargroup!

MissSurfer
    Kind of same here, if I was born when I was meant to be instead of a week late on 2nd Sept I'd be in the year above, and I didn't really like that year group much! However, on my 18th I couldn't really go out to the pubs and stuff because all my friends are younger than me so didn't have ID, yet none of us looked old enough to get away with not having it, so just had to go for a meal instead!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Had I been on time i'd have been in the year below :eek: thank goodness for prematurity
    If I'd been 12 days late instead of 11....doesn't really have the same ring to it

*swans round showing off 31st August birthday*
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Amy)
    says the wise old one
    Oi!

I was youngest in my year until staring uni for the second time:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilal786)
    Same as me need_money. :eek: :love:
    :eek: :p:

ReputationRep:
    I like being a young 'un. My birthday is in mid to late August, and it means that I always get to spend it in the sun with my family, and most of the time abroad in nice exotic countries. I'd hate to have a birthday in school, it'd be so mundane and boring, and filled with horrible lessons and teachers! :p: I mean, I'd just find it strange because I haven't experienced it (obviously), but I'd feel like it wasn't really a celebration, just another normal day.

As for the merits of age. I like it. I liked it in my football club because I was always really young in whatever age group I was in, and then I looked like some kind of child prodigy with all the elder kids who I was just as good as. I think it has that advantage. Apart from that, who cares?!

Yeah ID and stuff is a bummer, but it's not like an age limit actually ever prohibits anything. Who waited until they were 15 to see a 15 certificate film?!!! Who waits until they're 18 to drink...! The only problem is driving, and I probably wouldn't want one at this stage anyway - it'd be too expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I like being a young 'un. My birthday is in mid to late August, and it means that I always get to spend it in the sun with my family, and most of the time abroad in nice exotic countries. I'd hate to have a birthday in school, it'd be so mundane and boring, and filled with horrible lessons and teachers! :p: I mean, I'd just find it strange because I haven't experienced it (obviously), but I'd feel like it wasn't really a celebration, just another normal day.

As for the merits of age. I like it. I liked it in my football club because I was always really young in whatever age group I was in, and then I looked like some kind of child prodigy with all the elder kids who I was just as good as. I think it has that advantage. Apart from that, who cares?!

Yeah ID and stuff is a bummer, but it's not like an age limit actually ever prohibits anything. Who waited until they were 15 to see a 15 certificate film?!!! Who waits until they're 18 to drink...! The only problem is driving, and I probably wouldn't want one at this stage anyway - it'd be too expensive!
    Does just feel like a normal day. Thats why i don't think birthdays are a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigmy Goat)
    I wonder if I will ever find out anything good about being one of the youngest of my academic year. An august birthday myself, I find it utterly frustrating. I couldn't find a job when all my friends had jobs, I couldn't enter the lottery when my friends could (not that I wanted to, it's just the restriction). Imagine how it is going to be when everyone starts turning 18 - pubs - oh no. I think the only option is fake ID! Fellow august birthdays, we really do have a rubbish time! We should get extra money or something.

The moral of this story is - mothers don't give birth in August.
    Hey hey having a birthday in August is cool! - my birthday's in August - just had my 18th last week at New Wine (Christian camp I worked in doing kids work) and I mean, people get sung Happy Birthday in school and I never do cus my b'day is in the holidays. This year at New Wine hehe so many people sang to me bless it's nice - the sweetest is probably when my team (Groundbreakers people) sang to me in the catering hall and Mark gave me a birthday hug bless

I don't mind my birthday being in August - it's better than having it in late June when you can have an exam during your b'day! I see b'day in August as: no school, no exam on your b'day, which can't be a bad thing!

ReputationRep:
    My sister is August 31st.

She doesn't give a monkeys. She'll always be older than someone. Once she's out of school it won't be relevant again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    My sister is August 31st.

She doesn't give a monkeys. She'll always be older than someone. Once she's out of school it won't be relevant again.
    Exactly. What does it matter anyway? Why is there this huge obsession with being 'old' and 'grown up' these days? :rolleyes: It all seems a tad desperate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Does just feel like a normal day. Thats why i don't think birthdays are a big deal.

Aww gutted. *Pats back*, there, there.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.