Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherunsaway)
    Actually I agree about that. Even though I'm the youngest, I'll probably be amongst the top 10 come results day which kind of pisses my friends off and allows me to smirk at them.
    I can see a good and a bad...My birthday is August 28th so I really take this to an extreme but my mum says I was really ready for school so she's glad I wasn't a few days younger!

ReputationRep:
    I really liked being a young'un (well, august 3rd) until it came to being 17. Most of my friends had passed their test (first time obviously, blimmin overachievers) before I was even allowed lessons, and that really demotivated me a lot. Then everyone was turning 18 and instead of our little video nights and parties where we all got drunk people were down the pub and off to nightclubs. Sometimes I got away with joining in but they were really strict on ID so more often than not, I'd stay in rather than get all dressed up only to be kicked out. Was reeeally irritating that I couldn't just be in the pub, not even if I wasn't drinking, just completely made me realise how silly the attitude to alcohol in this country really is. It's lucky I had a boyfriend who I could spend weekends with instead really!

As for education, I think younger people are at an advantage if anything. The younger you learn, the more sticks, plus we can take gap years etc easily without then being too old for uni or a post grad job. There are no advantages in important exams (as in A levels and GCSE's), but there were in my 11+ exam when there really shouldn't have been.

Birthdays are good in a way cos you never have school and often it's nice weather, but also people forget, and on my birthday the vast majority of my friends are on holiday every year, so it can be pretty lonely. At uni I'm confused as to which friends I will spend it with! Now I'm 18 so there isn't anything else really, therefore I'm happy with being the youngest again .

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    18 on 6th august myself and my one of my best friends from school was on the 5th so jsut had one kick arse weekend.

Good thing about having late birthday is everybody is already 18 so you can go out werever you want and everyone gets in.

It doesnt feel any different being 18 tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an October baby, and I'm one of the youngest, but not THE youngest.

There was a girl in university who had a March birthday and was 17 for most of the year.

My cousin is a December baby and is the youngest in her year.

So August isn't that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigmy Goat)
    I wonder if I will ever find out anything good about being one of the youngest of my academic year. An august birthday myself, I find it utterly frustrating. I couldn't find a job when all my friends had jobs, I couldn't enter the lottery when my friends could (not that I wanted to, it's just the restriction). Imagine how it is going to be when everyone starts turning 18 - pubs - oh no. I think the only option is fake ID! Fellow august birthdays, we really do have a rubbish time! We should get extra money or something.

The moral of this story is - mothers don't give birth in August.
    Just take pride in the fact that you are a Leo.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if I will ever find out anything good about being one of the youngest of my academic year. An august birthday myself, I find it utterly frustrating. I couldn't find a job when all my friends had jobs, I couldn't enter the lottery when my friends could (not that I wanted to, it's just the restriction). Imagine how it is going to be when everyone starts turning 18 - pubs - oh no. I think the only option is fake ID! Fellow august birthdays, we really do have a rubbish time! We should get extra money or something.

You'll get the last laugh when growing older becomes a bad thing. I'm the same by the way, my birthday was last week, but when you get to 40 or 50 or whatever you'll be the last of your year to do it .

It is a disadvantae yes but it has its many bonuses. You have a year more education, you can pay child prices for a year longer, you can use your age as an excuse for nearly everything you can't do.

I don't see it as massively important when your birthday is - particularly over the age of 18. So don't worry about it :cool: Being a young'un is best :proud:

ReputationRep:
    I did. Wait until 15 to see an MA 15+. And we're allowed to take the highway code when we're 16 here so that's not a problem. I never wanted to drive before then anyway. Only problem was getting people to stop calling me "cute"- it gets very frustrating when people just go "awww you're so cute" every time you ask questions!

(Original post by zhivago)
    Yeah ID and stuff is a bummer, but it's not like an age limit actually ever prohibits anything. Who waited until they were 15 to see a 15 certificate film?!!! Who waits until they're 18 to drink...! The only problem is driving, and I probably wouldn't want one at this stage anyway - it'd be too expensive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubysolstice)
    I did. Wait until 15 to see an MA 15+. And we're allowed to take the highway code when we're 16 here so that's not a problem. I never wanted to drive before then anyway. Only problem was getting people to stop calling me "cute"- it gets very frustrating when people just go "awww you're so cute" every time you ask questions!
    well on the positive side aww cute is better than hey ugly or oldun or similar.

ReputationRep:

I know just how you feel - I'm early September birthday (started school early OK!) and all of my mates (bar one stupidly clever person who's birthday is in December :eek: ) were 18 before me. It does suck majorly and there's no getting away from the fact that they can go out without having to worry about getting asked for ID. It's crap. Some of my 'aquaintances' (I use that word because I don't actually like them....) used to patronise me big time.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Meh. I'm 18 now so it doesn't matter! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a mid-August person too. It was good when I was younger and I used to get some slack for tests and stuff (not that I really used it, I was a right little smart-arse). Still, birthdays in summer holidays are a bonus and I do probably do better academically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    I'm an October baby, and I'm one of the youngest, but not THE youngest.

There was a girl in university who had a March birthday and was 17 for most of the year.

My cousin is a December baby and is the youngest in her year.

So August isn't that bad.

Well, August is 'bad' in England and Wales, as they'll be the youngest in the year here.

Course, like I said, my sister's birthday is 31st August making her definitely the youngest in her year, but she doesn't care.

ATLEAST YOU'RE NOT THE YOUNGEST ON TSR!!*throws tantrum*

and possibly the most immature :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Im an early sept in the yr above what i should be (Thank god im not the only one Becca =D) and i turn 18 this year. Should be a really good bday cos none of my friends will have probs getting in anywhere but it also means results day il be stuck at home whilst all my mates are out cos they ID everywhere I think i kinda make it worse for myself thou because most of my mates are at least 19, i have loads of friends who have just finished their third year at college (resitters!!) and i should have just finished my first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    you could go to the pub with your 'older' friends and have a valid reason for not getting a round in
    Good one. I'll have to try that one sometime

ReputationRep:
    Was my 17th yesterday and I love being one of the youngest. I needed less marks to get into the local grammar school. I can do loads of driving over 5 weeks whereas my mates took longer so I can say to them that I am ahead of them or equal to them when they have been driving for ages. Also I am always on holiday for my birthday - can do what I want that way. Erm...........NO SCHOOL ON YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! DUH! It is great. Dont get what you are moaning about!

ReputationRep:
    Being born the 30th August, I'm happy with my birthday, sure it has its disadvantages, but this is only really a problem for 4 years at most: 15-19 years. The rest of the time I like my birthdate

> entitled to child fare
    > others buy my beloved alcohol (& **** if I'm lucky)
    > bfs always older
    > summer sunshine
    > poor academic achievement excuse
    > occasional benefit in exams
    > delayed expectations from parents

:p: Proud to be an August babe x

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt bother me that much having an August birthday but it sucked this year when all my m8s were 18 and i had to wait till last weekend!

Especially patronising 18 year olds christ, 18 is an age not a priveledge! talk to you liek there 18 and your never gonna be annoys me so mucH!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 18 until the 24th....it's so annoying! Being 16 after everyone was good in that it meant I got cheap rail fares etc but being 18 after everyone means you miss out! I can't go clubbing (i look really young so i can't get in), i can't see an 18, i can't get served in a pub etc. Grrrr. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble Fairy)
    > occasional benefit in exams
    eh? how does that work?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand. August isn't really a late birthday. That's the normal time for people to have their birthdays and be "on time" for school.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.