Turn on thread page Beta

Most popular courses! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Heya
    So which do you think are the most popular courses and where? (apart from medicine!)
    Sxx

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science is the most popular course, including Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Realli? i wldn't have said so...i thopught that course was going down? What about law and Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelzland)
    Heya
    So which do you think are the most popular courses and where? (apart from medicine!)
    Sxx
    Veterinary medicine...at any of the six universities that offer it!

(Original post by angelzland)
    Realli? i wldn't have said so...i thopught that course was going down? What about law and Economics?
    Its the most applied for course in the UK so I can't see it going anywhere for a while...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Its the most applied for course in the UK so I can't see it going anywhere for a while...
    Is there really a demand for so many computer scientists? It seems like a pretty vocational course to me.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    Apparently not. The unemployment thingy for CS on the Times is higher than average.

That said, I've heard it's a very enjoyable course.

(Original post by hildabeast)
    Is there really a demand for so many computer scientists? It seems like a pretty vocational course to me.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    There are more vocational courses at... errmmm "lesser" universities but at the more "prestigious" institutions the course is very academic and involves copious amounts of maths. Demand for graduates has decreased in recent years because of the industry slowdown but if you are good enough at what you do and have a degree from a good university then it's still a strong degree to have behind you!!!

ReputationRep:
    I do one of the more vocational courses mentioned and I don't think its fair for it to be put down. When I graduate I will leave university with the skills required to develop multimedia applications and websites. I will be able to proove to an employee that I can do the stuff requred so shouldn't find it hard to get a job. The employment rate for my course last year was 95%.

This is the webisite I have been working on for an assignment (its still very buggy and I have a long way to go before hand in in 3 weeks time)

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/shop/products.asp?cat=1

There is quite a lot of skill involved in doing a site like that as you have to know many different langauges, for example to make my shopping site I have had to know how to program in ASP, HTML and SQL.

Many people thing computer courses are all about using a mouse but if you want to know how a site like mine above is created open up notepad and start coding :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Med
    VetSci
    ComputerSci
    Law
    Economics

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    I do one of the more vocational courses mentioned

I don't think its fair to call the course at Salford (assuming thats where you are refering to) vocational at all. While its not as "mathsy" as some of the other course it is supposed to teach the principles of computing very well. The more vocational courses I was was refering to are at places like Staffs Uni which appears to be an I.T course in Comp Sci clothing!!!

ReputationRep:
    This is my course

http://www.cse.salford.ac.uk/coursev...cations&ref=46

Its not actually computer science but its the same depertment. The first year is probably rather I.Ty (excuse bad english) but in the second year and third year there are a lot of harder subjects such as C++ and Java.

ReputationRep:
    correction

http://www.cse.salford.ac.uk/coursev...cations&ref=46

Damn it you have to follow the links

http://www.cse.salford.ac.uk/undergrad.php?view=

Its a bit stupid.

ReputationRep:
    geography has become really popular lately due to the sensationalism in the press to do with global warming etc etc apparanlty. Hugely oversubscribed at places like Bristol, Durham, Exeter, Southampton, and from what the admissions tutors were telling me, ridicoulsy oversubscribed at durham esp this year, and there was over 2500 applications so far for geog at bristol - for about 65 places - 38:1.

ReputationRep:
    Did u do the coding yourself, what i mean is this, u do aload of copy and paste from other sources? :confused:

I done very basic HTML before , and i am quite impressed with the stuff u have done, i hope u get a quality finished product!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    Did u do the coding yourself, what i mean is this, u do aload of copy and paste from other sources? :confused:

I done very basic HTML before , and i am quite impressed with the stuff u have done, i hope u get a quality finished product!!!!!
    I did all the coding myself the only cheating I have done is I've used Dreamweaver for the HTML. All the ASP I have coded myself, I have taught myself the syntax from lectures and a book but logic is all mine.

When its finished, hopefully this time next week according to my gantt chart it will have an admin area where the staff can login and add new products etc, and the system will also send staff an email when stock runs low.

For my final year project I want to make a site like this:

http://www.studentuk.com

only much better. Jobs in web development are still quite easy to get if you have a degree and you can show that you have the experience and knowledge. The good thing is I should be able to walk into a job with little training needed. I can also edit videos and stuff which is handy as an extra thing.

I work very hard on my course because there are so many graduates but hopefully mine will be one of the better portfolios and I should have at least an average grade (nationaly) if not better.

I am only half way through my course as well. When I leave I want to a masters part time, I doubt I end up like my cousin who is currently doing an PhD but I would be happy with a masters considering my modest educational background.

P.S Thanks for you nice comments

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.