Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    er...whizzkid and stoney, if it makes any difference, I'm definitely taking Maths and Physics. They are both respected enough for me! I want to take Pyschology as I've always wanted to study it and I think it's alright having one subject that is considered less reputable as I can drop it after a year anyway if I need to.

My main problem really is whether to take Business Studies or not. If I were to drop it I would most likely take French instead, I'm just a bit worried it will be TOO dificult! However, I could always drop it after a year leaving me with Maths, Physics and Psychology A Levels for the uni application. Would that get me into a good uni? (Obviously there's no good answer to this as I don't know what degree I want to do yet but just in general..... or considering I might want to do a Maths, Psychology, Business/PR or MAYBE Physics degree).

Hmmm....getting complicated now! Any thoughts anyone?

MissSurfer

P.S. Economics? I did consider it but my gut reaction is "No"!!" LOL - don't know why. Maybe because economics I associate with money and even though I can do maths fine and I can manage my own personal money ok, for some wierd reason I cannot do the finance topics in Business Studies that well - well, I can do finance but it's a weaker area of mine.

ReputationRep:
    Consider swapping Business for Biology or Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Consider swapping Business for Biology or Further Maths.
    Why? Ok that sounds really rude but I don't mean to sound like that! I just mean what benefits would it bring me? I suppose if I'm considering doing a maths degree then yes, further maths. However, as i'm already doing physics as well as normal maths, then doing further maths too would just mean that I'm doing maths all week! (I've actually got a friend doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics...I feel a bit sorry for her but it's her choice!)

Biology - hmmm....what makes you say biology? The thing about biology for me is the practicals. On the 6th form open night they had people disecting a rat, breeding flies etc etc and I thought 'eugh!' - I honestly could not do that! But is it just one of those tricks teachers think will make people take the subject (doing loads of practicals on the open nights when real lessons are never really like that)??

I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on your suggestions (elaborate...that sounded posh!)

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    I just mean what benefits would it bring me? I suppose if I'm considering doing a maths degree then yes, further maths.
    Further maths is not only interesting in its own right but it will also give you the edge if you decide to apply for subjects such as Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science or Engineering and it can't hurt as both the traditional and social sciences feature uses of statistics.
    However, don't forget that everyone here is slightly biased so consider asking your teachers first.

However, as i'm already doing physics as well as normal maths, then doing further maths too would just mean that I'm doing maths all week!
    I hear that A-Level physics uses very little A-Level mathematics and mostly uses GCSE techniques (remember the patronising 'magic triangle' that was used to manipulate equations such as A=B \times C?) It doesn't even feature calculus whose applications I hear are an integral (I ask those who have any experience of calculus to pardon the terrible pun) part of physics.

Biology - hmmm....what makes you say biology? The thing about biology for me is the practicals. On the 6th form open night they had people disecting a rat, breeding flies etc etc and I thought 'eugh!' - I honestly could not do that! But is it just one of those tricks teachers think will make people take the subject (doing loads of practicals on the open nights when real lessons are never really like that)??
    My lessons certainly weren't anything like that. Indeed, the worst thing I touched was an animal heart (using gloves) and we didn't have to do that if we didn't want to. In fact, I can't recall touching any living animal in the lessons.
    I suggested Biology because it's quite an interesting subject and you mentioned you liked sciences. You might also enjoy the contrast that a Biological science offers given that you've already decided to do a physical science.

I think psychology is becoming more accepted as a viable subject at A-Level but the opinions of people on business studies are arguable.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Gaz031
    My lessons certainly weren't anything like that. Indeed, the worst thing I touched was an animal heart (using gloves) and we didn't have to do that if we didn't want to. In fact, I can't recall touching any living animal in the lessons.
    I suggested Biology because it's quite an interesting subject and you mentioned you liked sciences. You might also enjoy the contrast that a Biological science offers given that you've already decided to do a physical science.

I think psychology is becoming more accepted as a viable subject at A-Level but the opinions of people on business studies are arguable.[/QUOTE]

Thats interesting, thanks for that. This is so annoying!! I was stuck thinking about A Level options when i was at school but I made my decision. Now I'm all unsure again and i have no subject teachers to give advice!! Biology was another one I considered but I wanted to do so many subjects I had to cut my list down so I thought I'd just do one science (Physics).

It was so annoying as well because all my teachers just assumed I would do an A Level in their subject - there's actually about 6 subjects I really wanted to do - maths, french, business studies, psychology, physics, biology, art

I gave up thinking about doing Art because it is my weakest subject (Art is my only grade predicted at a B) and I can do painting n stuff at home or eveing classes quite easily.

So I really don't know what to do! As things stand atm I'm taking all the same subjects as my best friend and when I started talking about changing business studies to something else I could tell my friend looked a bit upset. I know I really mustn't base my A Level choices on what my friends are doing but, erm, I'm going to miss Business Studies lessons if I drop it because we had so much fun (probably coz we knew we could get away with dossing/having laughing fits for half the lesson and still understand everything as it was easy). If I take French then I might just get depressed as the only people who are taking it at my school are the kids who are really clever and posh (know the type??) and all hang around together, whereas I'd just be stuck there like a loner!

Ok ok I'm rambling, sorry. Ok. Does anyone know how, for university applications, an A grade in A Level Business Studies would compare to a C in French?

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    er...whizzkid and stoney, if it makes any difference, I'm definitely taking Maths and Physics. They are both respected enough for me! I want to take Pyschology as I've always wanted to study it and I think it's alright having one subject that is considered less reputable as I can drop it after a year anyway if I need to.

My main problem really is whether to take Business Studies or not. If I were to drop it I would most likely take French instead, I'm just a bit worried it will be TOO dificult! However, I could always drop it after a year leaving me with Maths, Physics and Psychology A Levels for the uni application. Would that get me into a good uni? (Obviously there's no good answer to this as I don't know what degree I want to do yet but just in general..... or considering I might want to do a Maths, Psychology, Business/PR or MAYBE Physics degree).

Hmmm....getting complicated now! Any thoughts anyone?

MissSurfer
    What makes you think French will be too difficult? It is one of the most respected subjects and supposedly one of the hardest, but to be honest I haven't found it hard at all really. It will seem hard at the beginning, mostly because you'll have to do a lot more spontaneous speaking in lessons than you did at GCSE and the topics will be a lot more sophisticated, but you soon get used to that and then you're just building on all the same skills you've learnt before. One thing I will say is that a solid knowledge of grammar will help you loads- if you've covered the imperfect, pluperfect and conditional tenses at GCSE, the only new things at AS will be the subjunctive mood and the present participle. If you get an A* or an A, you shouldn't have any problems as long as you put the work in, and I know I'm biased, but it really is a very rewarding subject and will give you so many opportunities in the future. You can probably switch subjects within the first few weeks anyway if you don't like or find it too hard. Maths, physics and psychology with AS French would be fine for application to a good uni; 3 very well respected subjects, and as someone else mentioned, psychology is becoming a lot more respected now too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    Does anyone know how, for university applications, an A grade in A Level Business Studies would compare to a C in French?

MissSurfer
    Depends what the grade requirements were for the uni you applied to. If they only wanted BBC, a C in French would be fine, but if they wanted AAB, it obviously wouldn't. Universities say they don't discriminate against any subject (except General Studies lol) so in theory that means the A in business studies would be better, but again it would depend on the uni whether or not that was true in practice.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.