Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh i've been jumbling career ideas around my head for the past 10 years now - from baker to Architect - and finally settled on forensics!

Form my sig you can see what i'm planning to do but i really like the idea of being a Paramedic now!

Has anyone done the paramedic thing and how did they get into it? And will it be negative or positive to get my degree (bit too late but would like to know)?

Cheers in advanced!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absolutional)
    Oh i've been jumbling career ideas around my head for the past 10 years now - from baker to Architect - and finally settled on forensics!

Form my sig you can see what i'm planning to do but i really like the idea of being a Paramedic now!

Has anyone done the paramedic thing and how did they get into it? And will it be negative or positive to get my degree (bit too late but would like to know)?

Cheers in advanced!
    I think its pretty much experience based so you may not even need a degree.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are provided with training to become a paramedic, a degree isnt needed.

Whether or not you want to carry on with doing a degree is up to you, but you might find that your career choices change as you get older. Im doing a degree in forensics and when I first started I wanted to work for the police after graduating, but now Im thinking about doing a postgraduate course and teaching. Education is always there anyway, and so are career choices, so its not like whatever decision you make will be 'wrong', as you can always go back.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I looked into becoming a paramedic once, and although there are degrees (in Hertforshire I think) most paramedics seem to dislike them as they say all these graduates come in knowing everything in their mind but are useless at doing in for real. I think the best thing you can do it if you're completely sure this is the right career for you, then apply to train to be an Ambulance Technician, which will allow you to work your way up. If you're not 100% sure its for you and you're just thinking about it, I'd go for doing a degree in something you like, such as forensics you mentioned, then at least if you change your mind you have something to fall back on. You need to have a clean driving license which you've had for 2 years when you apply, and need to pass various fitness tests. Have a look here especially at the forums, as they're really helpful, as there are real paremedics that post on them, who can give advice. At the moment I think the 'General Discussion' forum is down, but the rest are working, maybe try the careers forum here

I hope this is some help, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Oh and this link might help too *clicky* and there are more links at the bottom!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! You're all really helpfull (that's why i love TSR! )

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.