The Student Room Group

Eating Tips(thread) [WARNING: potential trigger material for ED sufferers]

I feel like putting some eating tips that might help in losing weight,being healthy ....etc :p: so people might have some points too and they can add it

1-Measure what you eat,honestly use a cup,like 1 cup of rice 3 carb meals,make sure you know what you are going to eat that day,at meals if 1 cup wasn't enough then you can add another 1/3 and so on

2-eat slowly,I've just saw this on tv,your body needs 20 minutes to fee full,so by eating slowly you eat less

3-subtitute,instead of fatty yellow cheese,have a nice diet yellow cheese,chedder or white cheese

4-Try to make similar but less fatty meals,for example if you feel like eating a fried egg,gofor it but use 2 tea spoons of oil instead of going for a gallon:p:*measure again*

5-eat vegtables and fruits,they make you full with the ordinary meals,so that you dont have to sneak snacks inbetween,fruits can be a sugary subtitute so they can be a chocolate creeving stopper,moreover it contains alot of vitamins

6-Do not forbid your self,ok that is important I guess,inorder tobe a healthy eater,you have to make a free day,that will make the value of junks bigger,so you wont be able to eat a chocolate so easy in a non-free day,on that day you shouldn't binge but just have a nice thing that you want.

7-ask your self what do you really want,water ,food,what kinda food,some rest
sometimes we dont know what do we want,*talking about her self* ,you find your self creeving for something but you just dunno what is it,so you see your self eating a chocolate,and your not satisfied,you go for a cake followed by a pizza,a coke,a chips ,and it might be water what your creeving for

8-don't bve hungry,cause when your hungry you tend to eat anything that falls between your hand,but if you have a nice snack between meals (a fruit,milk,tea) you wouldn't feel hungry

9-if your hungry,go make your self a propper meal,have an early meal,just dont entertain your self with a bag of chips till it's food main meal time

ok if anybody got anything more to add feel free :wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
hmm eating tips: place food in mouth

chew

swallow

repeat as required
Reply 3
TKR
hmm eating tips: place food in mouth

chew

swallow

repeat as required

*hits TKR on his head* :biggrin:
Nice thread. Shall be keeping all of those points in my head for future reference.

Also drink water. It is very good, it keeps you hydrated and often when you think you are hungry you actually just need a drink. Water is good. Other drinks are full of hidden liquid calories.
Reply 5
Good idea for a thread. Here's my tips anyway (some stolen from my super skinny boyfriend):
1. If you chew gum ALL the time, the mint flavour makes food taste icky, so you won't snack. Brushing your teeth has the same effect.
2. Eat slowly; if your friends have finished before you, they'll drag you off and you won't eat as much!
3. The atkins diet works and apparently you can eat kebabs (without the pitta bread) :smile:
4. If you feel hungry, drink some water first. Your body can confused thirst and hunger.
5. Eat ice cubes.
6. Keep busy. I snack when I'm bored.
7. Drink diet fizzy drinks. They fill you up, taste nice and it's like a snack but no calories.
8. If you do exercise, it makes you feel less hungry afterwards. You also feel like eating a chocolate bar would be wasting all that exercise you've just done.
9. Special herbal weightloss pills probably don't work. But if you believe they make you less hungry, then they will.
10. Your body gets used to getting less food after three days. If you diet, it WILL get easier.
Reply 6
Don't do Atkins!
Reply 7
Lauren

5. Eat ice cubes.

Like that idea!!! lol
Reply 8
Helenia
Don't do Atkins!

agreed. Its not proven that it works like they make out. It could be doing more harm than good in the long run.
Reply 9
i eat raw spaggetti too :smile:
Reply 10
lessthanthree
I didn't eat my tea today - I wasn't hungry. Ordinarily I'd have forced myself to eat it, but to be honest, I didn't see the point. If you're not hungry, and the situation isn't dire - don't fill yourself up.

if you eat only when you feel hungry you would eat alot more than what you might eat while feeling less hungry,a good thing to eat a cucumber(sp?) before eating the meal, :biggrin:
Reply 11
Atkins is bad as is chewing gum..it produces more saliva which makes your body more hungry.

- Eat regular meals balancing all the food groups in their correct proportions.
- Don't eat because you are bored, do something interesting instead.
- If you are hungry count to 60, have a glass of water, wait a few minutes, and you'll sometimes find you were just dehydrated/thirsy and not hungry.
- Avoid takeaway/eating out, the food is so fatty and full of E-numbers etc.
- Flora Pro Activ spread, milk and yoghurts can help to reduce your cholesterol and are generally better for you
- For cooking use olive oil rather than vegetable or sunflower oil, less fatty and tastes nicer IMHO
counting calories are a waste of time.
1) eat what you want but be sensible e.g not 5 packets of crisps, one after the other.
2)eat veg and fruit.

If you are getting the nutrients in 5 portons of friut and veg then you will be fine. be sensible. dont gorge yourself but let yourself eat when you are hungary.

if you diet too much , you will mess up your metabolism and in effect your weight will fluxuate.

enjoy food - one of life's few pleasures
Reply 13
my advice... I LOVE fruit... but if you eat too much of them you'll get fatter!!! just eat 3-4 a day and do not eat bananas unless you want energy...
the diet fizzi drinks bit... well it's true they fill you up with very few calories BUT... they may harm you in the long term if you drink them every single day!
Try drinking skim milk and saccharine and then calcium pills if you are under 20 years old...
I also eat cereals / rice "cakes" I dont know the word... it's like a round thing made of cereals or rice... less than 30Kcal each one... taste good (the cereal ones) and they fill you in with a glass of water!!!
Do sports like running nor gym! At least at the beginning... when you have put down those kgs... then start gym if you want to get fit... otherwise you'll look fat although what you have are muscles!!!
I need to go down 4-5kgs before uni! :P:
Reply 14
Ok how the hell will you get fatter from a lot of fruit.....i really doubt the calories involved in fruit (very very very low) is enough to make you fat.
And stop being racist against bananas.
Don't start taking supplements - get your vitamins and minerals from real foods. It's a lot better for you.
And rice cakes are bad for you as they have a high glycaemic index (GI). They cause a rapid rise in blood-sugar, which makes you feel hungry really quickly again.
Eat something wholegrain or oat-y because they release sugar slowly.
And going to the gym doesnt just mean doing weights. Do a lot of cardio work and yes weights are advisable (not v heavy) as they increase your metabolism and leave you toned.
Reply 15
whey good post, ummm my tip go running, its fun!!! and do a reace too u will raise some money 4 charity, get fit and if u pick a cool one like the Grizzly then u will sound cool too.

apples are good
Reply 16
apparently its often quite hard to tell hunger from thirst sometimes.

so if youre hungry, have a pint of water. wait 5 mins.
still hungry? eat something.

if you finish eating and still feel hungry, wait a while. if youre still hungry 10mins after finishing then go make something else.

like habosh said, 'free' days are good. but that doesnt mean you can go mental! just a little bit more rubbish and its all good :smile:
Reply 17
Fleece
Ok how the hell will you get fatter from a lot of fruit.....i really doubt the calories involved in fruit (very very very low) is enough to make you fat.
/QUOTE]

though too much of anything can end up being bad for you
Reply 18
It is possible to get ill from too many vitamins but honestly....i doubt anyone eats like 30 apples a day.
Reply 19
I used to think of fruit and veg as "free" in terms of calories, I thought you could just eat as much of them as you wanted. Thats not true! A "large" apple is 132 calories, a "large" orange 86, a cup of cherries is 95, and a "medium" banana is 94. Meanwhile, if you like exotic fruits (like I do, yum!), a "medium" mango will set you back 203 calories!!!!

I eat loads of fruit, 500 grams of blueberries (280 calories) will disappear while I type emails, and I generally get about 5-6 servings of fruit a day, BUT, I make sure I pay attention to the calories because they are far from "free"!

My doctor, by the way, says I eat too much fruit and that it will damage my liver in the long-term, but I've cut way back on my alcohol consumption recently, so I think my liver can handle a few extra blueberries.

Latest

Trending

Trending