Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Good idea for a thread. Here's my tips anyway (some stolen from my super skinny boyfriend):
    1. If you chew gum ALL the time, the mint flavour makes food taste icky, so you won't snack. Brushing your teeth has the same effect.
    lol that is exactly what i do. I eat gum all the time now if i feel i want something to eat. It's a good way of making yor teeth feel clean so you won't want to eat anything anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcelina)
    I used to think of fruit and veg as "free" in terms of calories, I thought you could just eat as much of them as you wanted. Thats not true! A "large" apple is 132 calories, a "large" orange 86, a cup of cherries is 95, and a "medium" banana is 94. Meanwhile, if you like exotic fruits (like I do, yum!), a "medium" mango will set you back 203 calories!!!!

I eat loads of fruit, 500 grams of blueberries (280 calories) will disappear while I type emails, and I generally get about 5-6 servings of fruit a day, BUT, I make sure I pay attention to the calories because they are far from "free"!

My doctor, by the way, says I eat too much fruit and that it will damage my liver in the long-term, but I've cut way back on my alcohol consumption recently, so I think my liver can handle a few extra blueberries.
    that's scary :eek: i'm always eating fruit. That and too much bread- it can't be good

ReputationRep:
    I used to think of fruit and veg as "free" in terms of calories, I thought you could just eat as much of them as you wanted. Thats not true! A "large" apple is 132 calories, a "large" orange 86, a cup of cherries is 95, and a "medium" banana is 94. Meanwhile, if you like exotic fruits (like I do, yum!), a "medium" mango will set you back 203 calories!!!!

I eat loads of fruit, 500 grams of blueberries (280 calories) will disappear while I type emails, and I generally get about 5-6 servings of fruit a day, BUT, I make sure I pay attention to the calories because they are far from "free"!

My doctor, by the way, says I eat too much fruit and that it will damage my liver in the long-term, but I've cut way back on my alcohol consumption recently, so I think my liver can handle a few extra blueberries.
    That is the biggest pile of ********. An apple does not have 132 calories..A bag of crisps has less than that.It's about 40 if that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    That is the biggest pile of ********. An apple does not have 132 calories..A bag of crisps has less than that.It's about 40 if that.
    phew, thank god i was starting to worry lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, like I just pulled those numbers out of my ass. Go to www.calorieking.com and see for yourself! Its not the only calorie counter out there, I'm sure you can get a second opinion if you want. Fruit is pure sugar and sugar means calories. But an apple is better than a bag of crisps because its a good source of fiber and vitamins while crisps pile on the fat and salt. An apple will make you feel full for a lot longer than a bag of crisps too!

In terms of carbs and calories though, it doesn't matter if you're eating a handful of crisps or a piece of fruit. Sorry you don't want to believe me, but its true, a calorie is a calorie.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of carbs and calories though, it doesn't matter if you're eating a handful of crisps or a piece of fruit. Sorry you don't want to believe me, but its true, a calorie is a calorie.
    a calorie is ofcourse a calorie, tcelina - but to clarify (as im sure you know, etc ¬_¬) thats not to say just eating 500g of sugar (2000cals ?) per day will lead to the same state of physique and phitness as other diets, for example

some good ideas here: http://www.trickstutorials.com/index...e=content/adin

--Joe

ReputationRep:
    I did get a second opinion. and a third and a fourth......

http://www.caloriecounting.co.uk/res...ries_fruit.htm - 53.
    http://www.weightlossforall.com/calories-apple.htm - 36
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk...uit.htm#apples - 53.

ReputationRep:
    Right, did you look at the sizes in question? Those are for apples that are 100-112g. I just weighed the apples in my fruit bowl and I don't have a single one less than 250g. I would call the ones I have "medium" and the quote I gave you for 132 calories was for a "large" apple.

ReputationRep:
    rock_tenth, of course my point about an apple making you feel full for longer and providing valuable fiber and vitamins was supposed to indicate that you can choose your calories wisely. It is unfortunately not true that eating fruit is a zero-calorie activity, and it needs to be factored into your diet just like everything else.

ReputationRep:
    Woo you for being so anal as to go and weigh an apple.

ReputationRep:
    you tried to make me feel like an idiot for telling the truth, I'm currently sitting in my kitchen with a fruit bowl and a scale, it hardly required enough effort to justify being called anal.

ReputationRep:

:eek: :eek: :eek: ,how is that possible,I thought they are good for the whole body I eat about 10 fruits daily of 120 grams :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    you tried to make me feel like an idiot for telling the truth, I'm currently sitting in my kitchen with a fruit bowl and a scale, it hardly required enough effort to justify being called anal.
    I'm still not convinced it is the truth

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my doctor might be on crack, I don't believe him, I'm just repeating what I was told when I showed him my food diary. It has to do with the sugar fermenting into alcohol in your body.

ReputationRep:
    well my slim fast book says that for an average sized raw eating apple there are 68 kcals

ReputationRep:
    And what kind of apples are you eating because i went and weighed mine (just to see now) and they were all around 150g.

ReputationRep:
    you're so anal for weighing an apple.

Look. I said 132 calories for a "large" apple. I even had "large" in quotation marks to express that it was not an exact figure. I think we all know what a large apple looks like. I have "medium" apples in my fruit bowl, and you have "small" apples in your fruit bowl, but that doesn't change the total calories. You said "an apple is about 40 if that" and you were clearly wrong, because even your "small" apples according to YOUR source add up to 75 calories. It is not unreasonable to assume that a "large" apple could be twice the size of your "small" apples and I am therefore STILL RIGHT.

ReputationRep:
    I dont have small apples at all, they're clearly medium. And how the hell do they add up to 75 for a small? it was 53 for a "small".

Jeez...you have an obsession with being right, chill out a bit.

ReputationRep:
    53 was not for "small" it was for 100g. Your apples are 150g, therefore, your apples are 75 calories. I'm just calling them small, because I consider the 250g apples I have in front of me medium. If you want to call mine large, and yours medium, I don't have a problem with that. The calories remain the same.

ReputationRep:
    It was for 112g actually if we're concerning ourselves with being right.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.