The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Doom_and_Gloom
Woh that seems quite alot to me. So far today I've eaten about 850 calories and I doubt I will eat more as it is late now. I don't see how people can eat over 1200cals now as I'm used to eating this much. Maybe some people might not think I eat enough but it does keep me going. As I'm quite an energetic person this has to be okay for me otherwise my body would shut down.

3 olive tea spoon:120 cal
2 cucumbers about:42 cals
2 carrots:90
2tomato: something like 50
luctus :dunno put something like 60
broccli: dunno amount not alot but I've put 100
3 pieces of toast :150
grilled chicken breast:230
2 apples:160
1 peach:80
2 pears:160
thats all
that is about 1242
not sure about the veggi portions or cals,I just put them down for fun
Reply 161
What if you had the perfect diet though? Variety wouldn't be needed then would it?

As for contributing something useful, nobody ever bloody listens anyway so whats the point?
Reply 162
habosh

not sure about the veggi portions or cals,I just put them down for fun

But then what's the point if you can't do it accurately? I dislike calorie counting in all but the vaguest of forms (I was v upset to discover that the M&M's chocolate brownies they sell in the Chemistry cafe at uni have over 400 calories in them :frown:) as it does develop VERY obsessive behaviour.

habosh - I really think you need to change your protein/complex carb intake.
Reply 163
Helenia
But then what's the point if you can't do it accurately? I dislike calorie counting in all but the vaguest of forms (I was v upset to discover that the M&M's chocolate brownies they sell in the Chemistry cafe at uni have over 400 calories in them :frown:) as it does develop VERY obsessive behaviour.

habosh - I really think you need to change your protein/complex carb intake.

but the yougert thingie is protiens and so is humus,I've eaten them today,1 teaspoon of each,chicken is protine,should I eat less carbs??
Reply 164
habosh
but the yougert thingie is protiens and so is humus,I've eaten them today,1 teaspoon of each,chicken is protine,should I eat less carbs??

Wow, a whole teaspoon of yoghurt. That's gonna do a lot. :rolleyes: Yoghurt is mainly water and some sugar; it has a bit of protein but not significant amounts.

And no, I think you should eat more complex carbs (brown rice, wholegrain/rye bread, potatoes, wholegrain/corn pasta), whilst perhaps cutting back (not cutting out) on the fruit you eat for the sugar.
Reply 165
Helenia
Wow, a whole teaspoon of yoghurt. That's gonna do a lot :rolleyes:

And no, I think you should eat more complex carbs (brown rice, wholegrain/rye bread, potatoes, wholegrain/corn pasta), whilst perhaps cutting back (not cutting out) on the fruit you eat for the sugar.

so how many should I have :confused: I've eaten 6 today,and I'm addicted to apples :frown:
Reply 166
and it was table spoon :p:
Tips I have that I use and find work really well :

1. Drink at least 6 glasses of fluid a day as it helps flush toxins and the like out of your body.

2. Try to avoid junk food the best you can but if you really want to you can have some junk food about 2-4 times a week this is so you don't get tempeted to much as you know you can still have it.

3. Snack on nuts, banana chips, seeds and the like during the day especially when you feel tempted and you don't want to have any junk.

4. If you feel hungry drink something first. Then wait a while. If you still feel hungry eat something.

5. Foods like Ryvita are helpfull for me as they are few in calories but just a few of them can fill me up as a snack between meals.

6. Eat fruit instead of chocolate as it has natural sugars in it, is healthier than chocolate and is just as sweet. Kiwis for example I find are sweeter than chocolate so I eat them instead.

7. Eat meals slowly to savour the taste and also so your brain can tell you when you are full so you can stop eating. If you eat fast your brain doesn't tell you till later that you are full. It takes about 20mins for the brain to register that you are actually full and don't need anymore food.
Reply 168
habosh
and it was table spoon :p:

That might as well make no difference at all.

I'm not a dietitian, I'm not going to give you numbers. You need to work it out best for you.
Reply 169
Honestly habosh, is there really any point in asking for advice anymore? Its like talking to a bloody brick wall with you.

If you eat too few calories your metabolism will slow down and fat burning goes out the window. - What you're doing

If you eat too much sugar then you not only reduce insulin sensitivity but you also have raised insulin levels throughout the day - insulin is extremely anabolic, promoting the storage of fat - again, something you're doing

Not eating enough carbohydrates - your body will look at other sources to fuel its efforts - such as muscle

Not eating enough protein - again, your body being in such a calorie deficit will be in a very catabolic state, not eating enough protein will just encourage the body to dig into your muscle for energy - remember, muscle is the most demanding metabolic tissue in the body, when times get tough and your body needs to save energy, guess whats first to go? The stuff that uses the most energy ie. muscle.

I'm intrigued to see, have you actually acomplished any of the goals you set out to achieve? Was your goal to lose weight? Have you lost any? Was it to lose inches from your waist? Have you lost any? I suspect the answers to the above questions are probably no, even if you have lost weight, it won't be much fat.

Unless you start paying attention to what people are telling you I suggest you just completely give up asking for advice or posting what you eat everyday - cuz to be honest, nobody gives a **** about people who are ignorant.
Reply 170
Goodness me! Isn't 2500 cals the recommended amount for a man trying to maintain his weight, and 2000 for women? Plus I'm sure I heard on the news or something that, as we burn around 1000 cals just from being alive, you should never go under that amount in your intake.

I just eat what I want, trying to get plenty of fruit and veg, cut down if I feel a bit fat. I'm at least a stone overweight and my BMI is 27.2 but I'm happy! Isn't that the most important thing?

And chocolate and crisps are nice :rolleyes:
Reply 171
what the hell are you talking about,I do eat enough carbs ,my diet is kinda balanced I just was wondered if I overeat fruits,it's not full of sugars or whatever,they are vitamins,I don't have anyother source of sugar so thatmight subtitute,and dont forget a size of a fruit does matter,and yes i've lost fats thank you ,if doctors recommends 5 fruits aday then what did I do wrong ?. and that is not without anyother source of sugar,and don't call me ignorant I don't know why your aggressive after all I didn't ask for your advice I was asking for helenia's
Reply 172
No, you don't eat a balanced diet, yes, you do overeat fruits, yes, fruits are full of sugars, no, they're not just vitamins, what are you trying to compensate for by eating loads of sugar exactly? Doctors don't recommend 5 apples a day, they recommend 5 bits of fruit and veg a day, the key word being veg, because if they had their way they would only recommend 5 bits of veg, as its far better for you than fruit, but they know people won't do it, so try and make it more attainable by saying fruits as well. Infact, I think the recommended amount is 10 bits of "fruit" and veg a day, but again, nobody is going to do that are they? Also, eating an apple counts as 1 portion, eat another apple and its still 1 portion, eat another and its still 1 portion, get the picture?

I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone but I'm sure Helenia isn't too happy repeating the same stuff over and over again to you either.
Reply 173
imasillynarb
No, you don't eat a balanced diet, yes, you do overeat fruits, yes, fruits are full of sugars, no, they're not just vitamins, what are you trying to compensate for by eating loads of sugar exactly? Doctors don't recommend 5 apples a day, they recommend 5 bits of fruit and veg a day, the key word being veg, because if they had their way they would only recommend 5 bits of veg, as its far better for you than fruit, but they know people won't do it, so try and make it more attainable by saying fruits as well. Infact, I think the recommended amount is 10 bits of "fruit" and veg a day, but again, nobody is going to do that are they? Also, eating an apple counts as 1 portion, eat another apple and its still 1 portion, eat another and its still 1 portion, get the picture?

I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone but I'm sure Helenia isn't too

happy repeating the same stuff over and over again to you either.

I've just searched the net and it says a portion is a fruit of 100 grams so 5 or 6 i've eaten 6 portions of blabs,so what,and well if somebody doesn't like to reply they don't have to,after all I can ask whatever I want,whenever I want, I eat hell enough of veggi aday and yet they are like 10 portions, and what is a balanced diet after all??
Reply 174
*sigh* suit yourself.
Reply 175
imasillynarb
*sigh* suit yourself.

actully I prefer to have a sensible discussion that have a worthless argument over nothing really,and you just wanna argue for the sake of it
Reply 176
I'm not arguing, I gave you plenty of good advice, you just chose to bloody ignore it, like I said, just do what you want, good luck.
Reply 177
sarah1987
Goodness me! Isn't 2500 cals the recommended amount for a man trying to maintain his weight, and 2000 for women? Plus I'm sure I heard on the news or something that, as we burn around 1000 cals just from being alive, you should never go under that amount in your intake.

I just eat what I want, trying to get plenty of fruit and veg, cut down if I feel a bit fat. I'm at least a stone overweight and my BMI is 27.2 but I'm happy! Isn't that the most important thing?

And chocolate and crisps are nice :rolleyes:

Hurray!

Not that I'm advocating being overweight, but being comfortable and happy is v important. Just make sure it doesn't become more so.

habosh, calm down - narb has a point but unless you stop panicking and getting upset it won't help. I'll reply to your PM tomorrow.
Reply 178
the thing is that I don't see any adive,people are not telling me eat 2 fruits daily and that would be enough,they are going like you eat too much fruits,ok I agree but give me an amount and then it's all ok,and nerb I 've posted what I've eaten today so that somebody could possible highlight something and say there is the wrong thing.
Reply 179
You ate 3 bits of toast - thats about 60g of carbohydrates, excluding what you've eaten through veg and fruit, that is nowhere near enough.

You ate 1 chicken breast - 30g of protein if you're lucky.

The rest of what you ate was sugar, fibre, and water, you're not getting enough energy from your diet, simple as that. Eat more complex carbohydrates - as helenia told you to do a few pages ago, and double - treble your intake of protein.

Latest

Trending

Trending