How does deforestation lead to a DECREASE of CO2 levels?

Watch this thread
*theKid*
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I understand how large-scale deforestations may lead to an increase of CO2 levels in the atmosphere in the area, but not a decrease?

Does anyone have any reasonable ideas?

Thank you.
*theKid*
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Anyone?
x
Johno10
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Deforestation removes the ability of trees to sequester carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and it also adds excess oxygen into the atmosphere.

I am not sure how deforestation would lead to a decrease. Though there is an air of uncertainty surrounding boreal forests. Research shows that the low surface albedo may in fact counterbalance carbon storing, so in a way boreal forests warm the climate
*theKid*
Rep:
(Original post by Johno10)
Deforestation removes the ability of trees to sequester carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and it also adds excess oxygen into the atmosphere.

I am not sure how deforestation would lead to a decrease. Though there is an air of uncertainty surrounding boreal forests. Research shows that the low surface albedo may in fact counterbalance carbon storing, so in a way boreal forests warm the climate
Thank you for your input =)
atheistwithfaith
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Common sense suggests that oxygen production is photosynthesis outweighs carbon dioxide production in respiration for plants and trees, however I cannot find any data giving the relative levels of oxygen produced and carbon dioxide produced per year for plants.

As common sense is not a measure alone, I would propose the hypothesis that trees produce more carbon dioxide (during respiration) than oxygen (during photosynthesis).
*theKid*
Rep:
(Original post by atheistwithfaith)
Common sense suggests that oxygen production is photosynthesis outweighs carbon dioxide production in respiration for plants and trees, however I cannot find any data giving the relative levels of oxygen produced and carbon dioxide produced per year for plants.

As common sense is not a measure alone, I would propose the hypothesis that trees produce more carbon dioxide (during respiration) than oxygen (during photosynthesis).
Ahh, thank you for your input =)
Colesylad
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Sup guy, in my opinion this question is about succession more than anything. Deforestation leads to an effective reset of the succession cycle, reverting to stage 1-2 in which most the inhabitants are plants. Hence CO2 conc is reduced as the new species photosynthesise without other organisms respiring and increasing the CO2 conc in the atmosphere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (67)
66.34%
No (26)
25.74%
I didn't use it to prepare (8)
7.92%

Watched Threads