The Student Room Group

How does deforestation lead to a DECREASE of CO2 levels?

I understand how large-scale deforestations may lead to an increase of CO2 levels in the atmosphere in the area, but not a decrease?

Does anyone have any reasonable ideas?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Anyone?
x
Reply 2
Deforestation removes the ability of trees to sequester carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and it also adds excess oxygen into the atmosphere.

I am not sure how deforestation would lead to a decrease. Though there is an air of uncertainty surrounding boreal forests. Research shows that the low surface albedo may in fact counterbalance carbon storing, so in a way boreal forests warm the climate
Reply 3
Johno10
Deforestation removes the ability of trees to sequester carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and it also adds excess oxygen into the atmosphere.

I am not sure how deforestation would lead to a decrease. Though there is an air of uncertainty surrounding boreal forests. Research shows that the low surface albedo may in fact counterbalance carbon storing, so in a way boreal forests warm the climate

Thank you for your input =)
Common sense suggests that oxygen production is photosynthesis outweighs carbon dioxide production in respiration for plants and trees, however I cannot find any data giving the relative levels of oxygen produced and carbon dioxide produced per year for plants.

As common sense is not a measure alone, I would propose the hypothesis that trees produce more carbon dioxide (during respiration) than oxygen (during photosynthesis).
Reply 5
atheistwithfaith
Common sense suggests that oxygen production is photosynthesis outweighs carbon dioxide production in respiration for plants and trees, however I cannot find any data giving the relative levels of oxygen produced and carbon dioxide produced per year for plants.

As common sense is not a measure alone, I would propose the hypothesis that trees produce more carbon dioxide (during respiration) than oxygen (during photosynthesis).

Ahh, thank you for your input =)
Reply 6
Sup guy, in my opinion this question is about succession more than anything. Deforestation leads to an effective reset of the succession cycle, reverting to stage 1-2 in which most the inhabitants are plants. Hence CO2 conc is reduced as the new species photosynthesise without other organisms respiring and increasing the CO2 conc in the atmosphere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending