The Student Room Group

'matriculation offer' (ie 2E grades at A level)...What does that mean?

College is prepared to make a 'matriculation offer' (ie 2E grades at A level) to applicants who show clear evidence of being equal to the challenge of the course.

I have done all the neccessary research but none was fruitful. Please what does the 2E grades mean?

Does it mean with my 2E grades i can still get in cambridge? I guess "NO"

Manifest
Reply 1
That the offer you receive which you must achieve to be able to go to Cam will be for two grade E A-levels. As In A, B, C, D, E
It's a matriculation offer because two passes is the minimum the university will accept for you to be able to come up (matriculate) and as such is the lowest offer a college can make.
Reply 2
i believe this means if you get a genius or someone the uni definitely want then they use this arbitrary requirement to illustrate this i.e. 2 a levels is apparently the min you need to go to any uni on an academic course etc. and obviously an e grade is a pass as u dont get fs in a levels. Christs college use it quite a bit as they renowned for being very academic and attract some seriously intelligent ppl.
Reply 3
beaten to it
Reply 4
Not necessarily that clever I don't think. I know of several Matric offer students who got 2.is and 2.iis.
(I'm just jealous :smile:) They are more common in some courses than others and more at some colleges than others..
Reply 5
Manifest
College is prepared to make a 'matriculation offer' (ie 2E grades at A level) to applicants who show clear evidence of being equal to the challenge of the course.

A few colleges (well mainly Christ's) still make offers of two E grades - the minimum the University Matriculation requirements allow (this used to be the minimum to get Government funding as well, but I suspect that has long gone.)

They make these offers to people 'who show clear evidence of being equal to the challenge of the course', ie people who are expected to get 3,4 or more good A grades. I don't believe they would use this offer for a borderline candidate - that would be an AAB or exceptionally an ABB offer and would mean there were extenuating circumstances.

These offers derive from the time when Cambridge had their own separate entrance exams, taken in October. If yo won a place through these then all you had to do was meet the university requirements of 2 A-levels and 5 0-levels (ie GCSE A-C, including English, Maths and a foreign language). They are now given to strong candiates whom the college believes deserve to enjoy a couple of terms with no pressure. I really enjoyed mine - as my A-level results show :frown:
Reply 6
It's really just synonymous with an unconditional offer. Semantics.

I got a BB offer from Sheffield, which I thought was a little odd. Apparently it's because they accept General Studies.

Latest

Trending

Trending