The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
priya
they should make suits at formal compulsory everywhere. boys just look so smart in them :smile: :p: changes their whole image in a second :biggrin:

(have found real reason why i love formal)

Mmm yes they do look nicer in suits. And it means I get to steal people's ties! :biggrin: (I even got mentioned in Clareification for my kleptomaniac tendencies once :redface:)
Reply 21
I love it when people dress all posh, what are girls supposed to wear, is a nice skirt and top fine?
Reply 22
JHutcher
surely i'm not the only person who thinks the idea of striding about town with a gown sounds glourious?

You think like me.
What's a townie?
minimo

What's a townie?

Two different meanings. In london it means a chav, in cambridge it means someone from the town (rather than uni)

MB
Reply 24
JHutcher
surely i'm not the only person who thinks the idea of striding about town with a gown sounds glourious?

You're going to be so disappointed when you don't get to wear a sorting hat at matriculation.

Townies in Cambridge ARE chavs. They hate the students as well and have bloody annoying accents.
Reply 25
i remember the woman in clintons having a particularly atrocious accent...made me want to laugh. ah well, i'm sure people feel the same way about scouse accents.

minimo- top and nice skirt is fine. i have never worn denim in any form to a formal, and very rarely trousers. usually skirt or dress. but depends on the person.

helen- ties!! woo!! i can't wait for the first slag formal of term, my tie is gonna look oh-so-pretty tied around my waist :p:
Reply 26
minimo
I love it when people dress all posh, what are girls supposed to wear, is a nice skirt and top fine?

Yeah it's fine - smart trousers are also ok. Some colleges really don't care what you wear in formal as long as it's got a gown over it *cough*Caius*cough* - though obviously there you can't wear your college gown.

Reminds me - I must get some more clothes for formals next term :biggrin:

Priya - my record is 6 bow ties after my first BCD. That was a beautiful collection :biggrin:
Reply 27
karen millen outlet store :biggrin::biggrin: formal outfits galore, woo! hence my needing a nice pair of gold heels now...methinks a trip to shoe shops in camb when i go back is in order
Reply 28
You're going to be so disappointed when you don't get to wear a sorting hat at matriculation.

Haha, imagine if we didn't actually apply to a college but to Cambridge Uni as such and then when we matriculated they put a sorting hat on our heads that would choose the college for us...

*potential conversation between minimo and the Sorting Hat*
"Right then, minimo, seems you're a bit of a keeno, you've memorised pi and e to 30 decimal places, I see."
"Ooh yes, and I've read all my textbooks before coming up."
"Indeed, I can see, but to be frank my dear, I note a distinct lack of what one may call natural intelligence. I do believe you'd be better off at APU."
No...please...not APU!'
"Not APU? Well in that case it will have to be..................GIRTON!!"

:rolleyes:
Reply 29
Lauren

Townies in Cambridge ARE chavs. They hate the students as well and have bloody annoying accents.

In what way does this 'hatred' manifest itself?
Reply 30
Am slightly confused, do you only wear your college gown if you are going to formal at another college as opposed to your own?
Reply 31
minimo
Am slightly confused, do you only wear your college gown if you are going to formal at another college as opposed to your own?

You have to wear your gown to your formal. Guests might not necessarily be from the university, hence won't have gowns, hence you do not have to wear a gown when you are a guest at another college. The exception to this is if you go to Caius second sitting for dinner (where they all have to wear gowns but over any type of clothes), and if you don't have a guest ticket you have to pretend to be a member of Caius, and wear one of their gowns.
Reply 32
minimo

Some colleges (Trinity included) insist on gowns for their own students. Some don't - e.g. Clare, where you can either wear a suit/smart clothes for girls, or a gown over basically anything. Other colleges have differing rules on whether visiting students have to/may/can't wear them.
Reply 33
Lauren
What's with the 'hatred' in inverted commas?

Ooh, have I touched a nerve! Sowwwy

Well, that is the word you used when you posted the thread. I was quoting you. It is the convention?

Starting on students when they're in clubs (although why townies are out on a students night :rolleyes: ), shouting insults in the street, one of my friends got punched by one because he "thought he was better".

Ignore. Shout insults back. (Something they don't understand!)

My fave is a particular group of teenage townies who started on me when I walked past them in a Liverpool shirt a few days before the champions league final. They were shouting "oh you think you're gonna win?". I was like "er, yes actually". Then saw them again after the final...no comments from them that time :biggrin:

I did hesitate to wonder if you had felt wounded more deeply than the others had. Football is life in that city. Denigrating any one football team, he is attacking, you, your football team - a vital part of your identity -worse that

Liverpool and football :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Or, even, envious. You' ve not managed to divest yourself of that Liverpudlian accent yet then.

<snipped>

I see here a young woman who seems desperate to belong...you are in chains.
Reply 34
BellaCat
I did hesitate to wonder if you had felt wounded more deeply than the others had. Football is life in that city. Denigrating any one football team, he is attacking, you, your football team - a vital part of your identity -worse that

[In the style of Little Britain]Yeeeessssssss.

BellaCat
Liverpool and football
...makes a winning combination. :yy:

BellaCat
Or, even, envious. You' ve not managed to divest yourself of that Liverpudlian accent yet then.

Envious of our Champions League glory. And the awesome match last night. Oh, and I'm not actually from Liverpool. Hence I don't have a Liverpool accent.

BellaCat
<snipped>

Again, [Little Britain]Yeeeeeesssssssss

BellaCat
I see here a young woman who seems desperate to belong...you are in chains.

Bit kinky for this early in the afternoon isn't it?
Reply 35
random nutter
Well they will never have a club fit to lick Liverpool's football boots

Damn right!
Reply 36
Why doesn't anyone but minimo think gowns are a grand idea?
And surely stereotypical/historical recreated photographs are a good idea for family and friends who won't be damaged by the stereotypes?
(*evil Laugh* perhaps i should go back to my own school and tell them gowns are compulsory)

*I had notices townies in cambridge are chaved up just a tiny little bit*
Reply 37
because when you get to university, you tend to grow out of such behaviour!
Reply 38
minimo

"Indeed, I can see, but to be frank my dear, I note a distinct lack of what one may call natural intelligence. I do believe you'd be better off at APU."
No...please...not APU!'
"Not APU? Well in that case it will have to be..................GIRTON!!"

:rolleyes:

I get this feeling that I'm going to restrict myself to Girton College for a large part of my time at Cambridge :wink:. Oh the jests, the jests!
Reply 39
Willa
because when you get to university, you tend to grow out of such behaviour!

well i'm not comng then :mad: lol

Latest

Trending

Trending