The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Lauren
It's just jealousy of the fact we get to live in mini castles.

So presumably Churchill students are safe from this sort of thing then :wink: .
Reply 41
minimo and jhutcher- gowns may be fun/amusing at first, but the novelty wears off very quickly. you'll realise that they're not really all that they're cracked up to be. it's not like you'll be the only ones wearing them, all 10000+ students at the uni will own one.

its like the wow factor of the architecture. i've (unfortunately) got kinds used to walking through kings every day, and seeing that chapel every time i walk back.
Reply 42
priya
minimo and jhutcher- gowns may be fun/amusing at first, but the novelty wears off very quickly. you'll realise that they're not really all that they're cracked up to be. it's not like you'll be the only ones wearing them, all 10000+ students at the uni will own one.

its like the wow factor of the architecture. i've (unfortunately) got kinds used to walking through kings every day, and seeing that chapel every time i walk back.

well shame on you for taking things for granted... lol

I'm sure your right... butwhile i can pose for photos and enjoy it i will.

seems 3 categories... gown lovers - don't care either way - gown haters ummm
Reply 43
JHutcher
well shame on you for taking things for granted... lol

I'm sure your right... butwhile i can pose for photos and enjoy it i will.

seems 3 categories... gown lovers - don't care either way - gown haters ummm

You'll change when you get here. If any student sees you posing in your gown with a Japanese tourist they'll think you're an idiot (unless said tourist is seen to hand over large sums of money - unlikely). They're just not that exciting really. And when you get the sleeves in your dinner it's a pain.
Reply 44
Helenia
You'll change when you get here. If any student sees you posing in your gown with a Japanese tourist they'll think you're an idiot (unless said tourist is seen to hand over large sums of money - unlikely). They're just not that exciting really. And when you get the sleeves in your dinner it's a pain.

there is an idea... perhaps we could prostetute our gowned bodies for the purpose of photographs... like those fools who do the punts!
Reply 45
JHutcher
there is an idea... perhaps we could prostetute our gowned bodies for the purpose of photographs... like those fools who do the punts!

You're not the first person to have that idea :rolleyes:

Punt touts are paid though.
Reply 46
Helenia
Punt touts are paid though.

And banned from approaching people now, aren't they?
Reply 47
JHutcher

If I see you I'm going to push you in the river :smile:
Reply 48
d750
And banned from approaching people now, aren't they?

they must be, you don;'t see them on kings parade anymore- they got me there a couple of years ago :mad:
Reply 49
priya
they must be, you don;'t see them on kings parade anymore- they got me there a couple of years ago :mad:

They're definitely limited to the area around Magdalene bridge and Silver Street Bridge (though I have seen them stray down as far as the mini-roundabout next to the side of John's) but I'm not sure about approaching people - they ignore me because I look like a student.
Reply 50
priya

best thing to do is walk down king street in the middle of the day on the way to matriculation photo, with your gown on- the tourists love it

Hehe, in my year eight or nine of us from Clare went to Burger King after our matric photo. Lording it up proper style in our gowns. After that the novelty wanes...

...until graduation! If you get excited by gowns :rolleyes: then graduation is even more fun in a dinner jacket, white bow tie and bands, gown AND huge fluffy black and white hood! The tourists love it. So I went to MaccyDs that time :p:

A.
Reply 51
Lauren
What's with the 'hatred' in inverted commas?

Starting on students when they're in clubs (although why townies are out on a students night :rolleyes: ), shouting insults in the street, one of my friends got punched by one because he "thought he was better".

My fave is a particular group of teenage townies who started on me when I walked past them in a Liverpool shirt a few days before the champions league final. They were shouting "oh you think you're gonna win?". I was like "er, yes actually". Then saw them again after the final...no comments from them that time :biggrin:

It's just jealousy of the fact we get to live in mini castles. Plus we don't talk like complete drongos.

You're talking about immature teenagers. The older people don't care like that, I used to play at a local badminton club and they're all fine with students there.

A.
Reply 52
Where do we get college scarfs?
Reply 53
That website posted a couple of weeks ago selling gowns also sells scarfs ... indeed any kind of merchandise.
Reply 54
minimo
Where do we get college scarfs?

From the shop by St Mary's Church at the top of King's Parade. You can also get jackets and hoodies there with your name on the back.
Reply 55
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: and I even know how to get to St Mary's from Trinity wooooo
Reply 56
minimo
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: and I even know how to get to St Mary's from Trinity wooooo

Walk down Trinity Street.

Edit: you'll soon learn where everything is in Cambridge because it's the size of a small village, and whoever decided it's a city must have been having a very stressful day.
Reply 57
i've still not ventured up lensfield road mind.... my antics have been limited solely to town centre and sidgewick site this year. must explore rest of cambridge next year
college cufflinks are available from Ryder and Amies (the shop by St Marys) as well. so when (if) you get bored of your gown (jhutcher :p: ) there's something else to keep you amused
Reply 58
Do they make college tea towels? :wink:
Jokie
Reply 59
if your degree thing doesn't work out, you've got yourself a little business there....

Latest