Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    You're talking about immature teenagers. The older people don't care like that, I used to play at a local badminton club and they're all fine with students there.

A.
    Apparently, my contention that the entire population of a city cannot be regarded as 'chavs' simply because one has had the odd negative experience in said city is 'obnoxious'.

Oh, well, 'obnoxious' I am then...

I think I can live with that.

ReputationRep:
    Back to the gowns topic... I hate them. I'm not at Cam yet - I haven't even taken my A levels. But at my school all the scholars have to wear out gowns for morning lessons, and we get *******ed by the teachers if we don't. Oh how I hate them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_brainaic)
    Back to the gowns topic... I hate them. I'm not at Cam yet - I haven't even taken my A levels. But at my school all the scholars have to wear out gowns for morning lessons, and we get *******ed by the teachers if we don't. Oh how I hate them...
    what school did you go to?

think of all of us though who have been starved of tradition at post-war comprehensives!

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi...dge_University

I haven't read it, but if you're in dire need of knowledge then wikipedia is there for yooo.

ReputationRep:
    Which college is it with strips sewn into the Gown sleeves which can't be anything but specially designed to store pennies in? Now that's a college who considers its students needs

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Kings Canterbury - and still there. Tradition isn't all it's made out to be. The only good thing about being a scholar is the money off. Apart from that I have to wear a gown (it's very, very similar to the undergrad gown at Cam), I have to get up an extra 15 mins early on Sunday so that I can process (ie walk, while *****ing about waking up early), with the other scholars, around a lawn in into the Cathedral, and then once inside we get everyone staring at us.
    Trust me - Japanese tourists (or any other kind of tourists for that matter) are fairly stingy with their cash. My brother took a photo with some of them in his gown when he was at Kings and they paid him in... wait for it... fish-flavoured sweets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    Which college is it with strips sewn into the Gown sleeves which can't be anything but specially designed to store pennies in? Now that's a college who considers its students needs
    I think Emma have little pockets all down the front facing that are just designed for pennies. It might not be them though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Kings Canterbury - and still there. Tradition isn't all it's made out to be. The only good thing about being a scholar is the money off. Apart from that I have to wear a gown (it's very, very similar to the undergrad gown at Cam), I have to get up an extra 15 mins early on Sunday so that I can process (ie walk, while *****ing about waking up early), with the other scholars, around a lawn in into the Cathedral, and then once inside we get everyone staring at us.
    Trust me - Japanese tourists (or any other kind of tourists for that matter) are fairly stingy with their cash. My brother took a photo with some of them in his gown when he was at Kings and they paid him in... wait for it... fish-flavoured sweets.
    And you've got the over the top winged shirts too!

If I say that my school had the second most distinctive uniform after yours on Canterbury high street then you'll probably know where I went.

A.

ReputationRep:
    Oh the shirts... Honest to god, I think they were designed to stop us falling asleep during lessons. Any way you tilt your head means getting some sharp, overstarched collar poking into it.
    I'm notmally too lazy to go out into town, but are you from the school with the purple uniform then? I might be being rediculously stupid though.

ReputationRep:
    beats getting to school early to get the register... would you really wanna go to some concrete building where there isn't an ounce of history or tradition.

Justin

ReputationRep:
    Oh the shirts... Honest to god, I think they were designed to stop us falling asleep during lessons. Any way you tilt your head means getting some sharp, overstarched collar poking into it.
    I'm notmally too lazy to go out into town, but are you from the school with the purple uniform then? I might be being rediculously stupid though.
    Technically it's maroon, but yes, that was my school. Urgh, how to be hated by all the kids in town with one easy piece of uniform. :rolleyes:

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I think Emma have little pockets all down the front facing that are just designed for pennies. It might not be them though.
    technically they arent designed for pennies (i think), but they are perfect for such a task!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    Technically it's maroon, but yes, that was my school. Urgh, how to be hated by all the kids in town with one easy piece of uniform. :rolleyes:

A.
    And you think we're not hated? When we start school we're told not to go into town with the uniform on - thats how bad it is!

ReputationRep:
    The whole idea of uniforms at school is ****ing ridiculous. I don't know why these places insist on acting in such an authoritarian manner. It can't make a good atmosphere for learning.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Yes... I don't understand the concept at independent schools but at state schools it makes perfect sense... I knew people who were very rich and some very poor... and once you are all wearing the same uniform it just doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    My school had a purple blazer from yrs 7-9. Easiest way to get kids beaten up on the way home. Changed to black in yr 10 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    My school had a purple blazer from yrs 7-9. Easiest way to get kids beaten up on the way home. Changed to black in yr 10 though.
    Mine just let you wear a suit, as long as it was dark. That seems a very good solution - it doesn't stand out or identify you when you're walking down the high street, but it's probably better than having no dress code at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Try an ankle length tartan skirt :puke:

Or a nice tweed blazer for the boys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Mine just let you wear a suit, as long as it was dark. That seems a very good solution - it doesn't stand out or identify you when you're walking down the high street, but it's probably better than having no dress code at all.
    but surely the problem with such a scheme is that kids end up comparing each others suits and some may feel embarassed that their suit isnt as cool or new or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    but surely the problem with such a scheme is that kids end up comparing each others suits and some may feel embarassed that their suit isnt as cool or new or whatever.
    Didn't happen, 'though. Suits aren't exactly :cool:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.