Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Didn't happen, 'though. Suits aren't exactly :cool:
    but they come in quite a variety. For example when I went to a fancy 18th birthday party, you could tell who owned their own suits and who were just wearing their dads. Likewise at the prom.

I personally think uniform was a good thing, in my school once you got into 6th form you didnt have to wear the uniform any more, and so that made you feel more grown up around school and i reckon students respected the teachers more!

ReputationRep:
    My school just let you wear whatever you like. Everyone just wore jeans and tshirts. Even in a school where there's uniform surely everyone knows how well off everyone else is. I personally cannot work when I'm not relaxed and comfortable. How many people do you see in the UL wearing suits? NONE. Why do you think that is?

MB

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty comfortable in decent trousers, black shoes, nice shirt and an overcoat. All it needs to be formal-wear is a tie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Try an ankle length tartan skirt :puke:
    *Wibble*

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you don't notice uniform after a while. Sure, it was hideous, but I don't think it really impeded my learning. Besides, I don't like to imagine the bullying I'd have got if we were allowed to wear our own "comfortable" clothes.

ReputationRep:
    uniforms give you all something to moan collectively about as well. plus it makes it more of a novelty when you enter 6th form and can wear anything (or nearly anything)

plus, as i've already said, boys look better in blazers/suits :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_brainaic)
    And you think we're not hated? When we start school we're told not to go into town with the uniform on - thats how bad it is!
    Oh I know you are
    Very sensible advice, unfortunately my school has a policy that we could take the blazer off and stuff in school, but have to wear it out of school even in the height of summer. :rolleyes:

On one occasion I had abuse shouted at me from a bin lorry, what amused me though was they were sufficiently keen that they did a U-turn at the Westgate roundabout to come back and shout at me some more. You've got to admire that kind of determination. All because of a maroon blazer, which doesn't make boys look good Priya :p:

I think the only real reason for it was to stop us going into the pub really.

A.

ReputationRep:
    Its only the grammar school in my area that has a coloured blazer

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.