Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I feel your pain. I was regularly getting blasted at a very young age and still do (though I try to control myself these days)

I'd like to see an increase in the legal age for consumption of alcohol to 21. No ID, no service.

I'd also like to see laws on public intoxication established/strengthened.
    INcrease of the legal age 21 isnt gonna make much difference as people jsut wait anotehr 3 years anyways its not going to control it is it.

Dont knwo were you live, but in Manchester all bars and club are strict on ID you wont see many underage people out in manc.

If by that you mean stuff liek drunk and disorderly then if there just smashed and abusive just stick em in the cells and leave em to sober up and wap in with thte fine, but for violent crime then they should defo get prison sentences, i dont see wots wrong with binge dirnking aslong as you dont affect anyone else but yourself ie. the few idiots that go out to start a fight. They also have these town ban thigs aswell were if your convicted of drunk and disorderly or a similar crime you gett a bannign order form thte town centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    oh, you've seen into the future, you know exactly what will hapen.you know the various bar budgets, and so know they wont have the money to say open hat- a few hours longer than usual.and the money they'd make from selling in these hours would balance out staying open anyway.
    On the "Today" programme on R4 a couple of days ago they were discussing this and saying that a lot of applications were already in, and most of them were only applying to extend hours to 12 or 1am. I doubt very much many bars will choose to stay open 24 hours - there may be some in very big cities etc, but I wouldn't expect to see them out here.

I am divided on this. I think in some places it'll have a positive effect; the sorts of bars where you go just to relax and have a chat, it'll give you more time to do so and not cut off your evening short. Having said that, a lot of the pubs that I know of in my town stay open past 11 anyway, so it'll make little difference. It'll be nice in Cambridge though - I don't know if my college bar is applying for an extended licence but if they do then they'll make more money for the SU which can only be a good thing!

However, there are also some pubs, generally the larger ones e.g. Wetherspoons, or bars like Yates, that are a hybrid between a pub and a club (especially the ones with music and a mini-dancefloor). These places tend to be the ones packed with drunk people and I don't think the extended hours will help with that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that history bears this out as truth. When I started drinking Sunday hours were 12:00-2:00pm and then 7:00-10:30pm It's now all day but have we seen less drunkeness on a Sunday because of these extended hours? I don't think so.

And of course, we don't see the Brits drinking in moderation when on holiday in Spain/Greece etc just because they have relaxed opening hours.
    do you not think that the novelty will wear off though. I don't know anyone who can remain drunk on the scale that you can on holiday for much longer than the period of one holiday. I think that attitudes will change, especially if the bars that do break the law are clamped down on whilst those that encourage sensible drinking (no matter what time of day) are left alone.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that history bears this out as truth. When I started drinking Sunday hours were 12:00-2:00pm and then 7:00-10:30pm It's now all day but have we seen less drunkeness on a Sunday because of these extended hours? I don't think so.

And of course, we don't see the Brits drinking in moderation when on holiday in Spain/Greece etc just because they have relaxed opening hours.
    That's because they're making the most of it while they can.

And very few people gets aggressive/violent when inebriated. The media highlight extreme cases. And it's not restricted to under 25 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    That's because they're making the most of it while they can.

And very few people gets aggressive/violent when inebriated. The media highlight extreme cases. And it's not restricted to under 25 year olds.
    I agree here, it is the few who cause the most hassle and probs for Police and door people. Myself when I am very drunk, all I want to do is curl up and go to sleep!!

ReputationRep:
    The new licenses will, IMO, encourage quieter café bars, and the worst offenders, the big clubs, are really going to feel the squeeze.
    I doubt this will have a huge imapct as I would expect most people who go clubbing go because they like it rather than they prefer it to going home.

On a personal level, I would love my favorite pub to stay open to say 1 o clock. I really do like having a drink with friends in the pub and maybe getting a bit drunk, but the atmosphere isn't right to binge drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaBabe)
    I agree here, it is the few who cause the most hassle and probs for Police and door people. Myself when I am very drunk, all I want to do is curl up and go to sleep!!
    Same here but I doubt anyone would want to make a documentary about it.

As an insomniac I'd love to be able to meet up with friends for a drink at 2 in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    I doubt this will have a huge imapct as I would expect most people who go clubbing go because they like it rather than they prefer it to going home.

On a personal level, I would love my favorite pub to stay open to say 1 o clock. I really do like having a drink with friends in the pub and maybe getting a bit drunk, but the atmosphere isn't right to binge drink.
    And that's the kind of thing they're aiming for - not clubbing, but intense conversations spurred on by a moderate amount of alcohol. (Like ancient Greek philosophers, worshipping at the feet of the God Dionysus...um, or maybe not!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    That may be true. But the fact remains that a very significant number of violent encounters can be attributed to alcohol abuse.

ReputationRep:
    That may be true. But the fact remains that a very significant number of violent encounters can be attributed to alcohol abuse.
    True and I dont think any of us will dispute this. I think the consensus amongst most is it will ease problems that do occurr from over indulgence that happen all at the same time. You will always get some who binge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChelseaBabe)
    True and I dont think any of us will dispute this. I think the consensus amongst most is it will ease problems that do occurr from over indulgence that happen all at the same time. You will always get some who binge.
    Well, time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    Well, time will tell.
    It will be interesting to see how it will tun out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but thats got nothing to do with age though

ReputationRep:
    My personal view on this is I think late night opening of pubs and bars is a good idea provided the venue has a good track record with the police. I think late night opening times will help a lot as people won't be as rushed to drink up.

I am not convinced people will drink more, I think people will just drink the same amount but in more time meaning that there will be less drunk people. Also as many bars will have different opening times it means drunks won't be all spilling out onto the streets at the same time.

With regards to the smoking ban I don't think it goes far enough, I think if venues must allow smoking such as gig venues there must be very good ventelation and do as much as they can to ensure the smoke dosn't end up in peoples lungs.

I think it should be banned in all venues though like Ireland. I have been observing this a lot lately and most people don't seem to smoke any more, its always the odd 10-20% of smokers which cause smoke related health problems such as stinging eyes and breathing difficulties so don't say we are the ones that should go out.

This just my opinion what do other people think?

ReputationRep:
    Its not when you have an alcoholic as a father.

You put with enough cr.ap all day as it is without having to put up with it all the way through the night as well. The government doesn't think sometimes.

I'm all for extending it by a little, and perhaps buying drink from the supermarket at night, but not pubs being open all night long.

How we should start feeling sorry for the residents of what once would be considered a quiet Town.

Smoking should just be kept to designated zones. They should not be expelled completely as it was the government again who got them smoking. Its wrong.

ReputationRep:
    My dads an alchoholic as well believe I know more than most people about how damaging alchohol can be this why I support the plans. Also I wish people would realise that no pub on earth wants to open 24 hours a day, all it means realisticaly is that some pubs can choose to stay open an hour or two later.

Smoking area zones don't always work as the smoke just blows across and I don't see how the government got our generation smoking and a lot of bars/pubs its mainly younger people in them.

Most pubs will keep their existing opening hours and if people live near pubs they have to expect noise. One of the pubs near me is a trouble spot and I object to them wanting to extend their licence to serve to 1:00am, but the rest of the places near me that have applied I fully support as there is never in trouble and most their drinkers are respectful.

Little village pubs are different but then I doubt they would have enough business to stay open past 11:00 anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The longer people have to drink..the more they will drink..at least thats what i've witnessed where i live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    No, I mean at the level of the licensing authorities, who will grant extended licenses to café bars and pubs and clubs who's clientele are better behaved. At the same time the licensing authorities will clamp down on bars and clubs which are known to be troublespots will be fined and eventually have their licenses revoked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I think if venues must allow smoking such as gig venues there must be very good ventelation and do as much as they can to ensure the smoke dosn't end up in peoples lungs.
    then -

(Original post by AT82)
    I think it should be banned in all venues though like Ireland.
    inconsistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    then -

inconsistent.
    Not really, unless you choose to take it that way. You could also read it as "If the situation must persist, it should do so under x conditions, but ideally I would prefer it to be done away with altogether." Where's the problem there?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.