Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    And that's the kind of thing they're aiming for - not clubbing, but intense conversations spurred on by a moderate amount of alcohol.
    Yeah, but I don't think I'm your average 18 year old! And I do like clubbing, I'd just probably not do it as much.

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was I would like an Ireland style UK ban but if that was never going to happen then I would be ok with it as longs as everywhere had very good smoke ventalation unlike they currently do.

Also perhaps they could allow pubs to allow smoking if they don't serve food but make them pay an expensive licence for it or somthing. This would encourage a lot of none smoking pubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    What I meant was I would like an Ireland style UK ban but if that was never going to happen then I would be ok with it as longs as everywhere had very good smoke ventalation unlike they currently do.

Also perhaps they could allow pubs to allow smoking if they don't serve food but make them pay an expensive licence for it or somthing. This would encourage a lot of none smoking pubs.
    thanks for the clarification.

i'd go for a complete ban too. no excuses or exemptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    thanks for the clarification.

i'd go for a complete ban too. no excuses or exemptions.
    I just don't get it, the other day I went to a gig, The Editors (I won't name the venue but it would be easy to research if anybody wishes) and it was so full of smoke my eyes were stinging and I had breathing problems. I looked round the venue and there was no where for the smoke to get out.

I reckon out of the room full of 200-300 people only 10% if that were smokers I have also noticed that the less people seem to smoke these days. If wetherspoons can do it why can't the UK government?

I don't want to get lung cancer becuase I have a passion for music.

ReputationRep:
    The important thing about the late nite open is that you wont have hundreds of people being thrown out onto the streets at the same time, reducing a massive amount of potential violence - how many times have you seen a fight flare up over a taxi or a kebab shop...its ridiculous.
    Also, 10.30 syndrome wouldn't occur, since people wouldn't buy a few pints to finish before closing time and get tanked up just as they walk out the door.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    The important thing about the late nite open is that you wont have hundreds of people being thrown out onto the streets at the same time, reducing a massive amount of potential violence - how many times have you seen a fight flare up over a taxi or a kebab shop...its ridiculous.
    Also, 10.30 syndrome wouldn't occur, since people wouldn't buy a few pints to finish before closing time and get tanked up just as they walk out the door.
    Exactly and this why I fully support it, I am fed up off having to buy drinks in quick becuase of closing. Although I tend to go places that shut between 12:00-2:00am anyway for this exact reason. At the moment though apart from my local irish club all the bars shut at 12:00. I don't feel like going into town for clubs every weekend.

I do believe it will solve a lot more problems than it creates and the media are over hyping the situation far too much, nobody is saying these pubs want to open for 24 hours, they would have no business but the media likes to pretend this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Well...anyone who has been to New Orleans will know how good at atmosphere you can have in 24hr drinking establishments (i must admit there were 1 or 2 sinister ones...but thats still cool)

ReputationRep:
    Well...anyone who has been to New Orleans will know how good at atmosphere you can have in 24hr drinking establishments (i must admit there were 1 or 2 sinister ones...but thats still cool)
    I agree, its also great in Barcelona and Dublin, but none of them really stayed open much beyond 2:00-3:00am.

My only concern with this I do have is at the moment a lot of clubs shut at 3:00am but have to stop serving alchohol by 2:00, this gives people time to sobour up and I think that needs to be preserved. Places shouldn't just through drunk people out on the streets.

I am speaking as a person with ambitions to own his own night club as well.

ReputationRep:
    Quite right. 10.30p.m. syndrome is dead.

Long live 1.00a.m. syndrome.

Let's face it folks - the british as a whole have no idea how to drink sensibly.

ReputationRep:
    ........totally agree with you there - and not only new orleans either - but americans have a whole different concept on drinking than we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    My personal view on this is I think late night opening of pubs and bars is a good idea provided the venue has a good track record with the police. I think late night opening times will help a lot as people won't be as rushed to drink up.

I am not convinced people will drink more, I think people will just drink the same amount but in more time meaning that there will be less drunk people. Also as many bars will have different opening times it means drunks won't be all spilling out onto the streets at the same time.

With regards to the smoking ban I don't think it goes far enough, I think if venues must allow smoking such as gig venues there must be very good ventelation and do as much as they can to ensure the smoke dosn't end up in peoples lungs.

I think it should be banned in all venues though like Ireland. I have been observing this a lot lately and most people don't seem to smoke any more, its always the odd 10-20% of smokers which cause smoke related health problems such as stinging eyes and breathing difficulties so don't say we are the ones that should go out.

This just my opinion what do other people think?
    What smoking ban?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    What smoking ban?
    I'm not sure if its been passed through parliament yet, but I think it would come into effect in 2007 if/when it is passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    I'm not sure if its been passed through parliament yet, but I think it would come into effect in 2007 if/when it is passed.
    Where does it ban smoking? Public places/pubs etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Where does it ban smoking? Public places/pubs etc?
    Yeah in most public places, there are some exemptions though not many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Yeah in most public places, there are some exemptions though not many.
    Oh, well. It was only a matter of time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still concerned what will happen to smoking clubs, or eastern european style restaurants, where obviously smoking is an essential part of the atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    I read some where that is 2006 now, I it was a general news paper article saying that there was only 6 months to ago (this was last month).

I wouldn't believe whats written in the papers though.

The way I understand is anywhere that serves food must obay the ban, but pubs may stop serving food to get round this. From what I can tell smoking will be allowed in most night clubs and gig venues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    Quite right. 10.30p.m. syndrome is dead.

Long live 1.00a.m. syndrome.

Let's face it folks - the british as a whole have no idea how to drink sensibly.
    i do...by not drinking at all

you cant get more sensible than that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i do...by not drinking at all

you cant get more sensible than that
    :dito:

Though apparently Howard thinks it makes you less "British"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    :dito:

Though apparently Howard thinks it makes you less "British"
    i dunno how i could be more british really.

it says british citizen on my passport. i was born in the UK and have lived here all my life

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.