Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    The foreign service doesn't only cover diplomats. The people who hand out visas, run the economic side of an embassy, talk to the press, etc. are all part of the foreign service.
    I know but the original poster specifically asked about becoming a diplomat, hence my response

ReputationRep:
    Am i the only one who finds the original posters username hilariously ironic?

ReputationRep:
    Lol!

ReputationRep:
    Hey There's more than one way to become 'diplomatic'....

Am I a diplomat - hell no!
    Do I get a diplomatic visa when I go to the states for work - hell yes!

I think it's hilarious at passport control when they see it. A whole new world of respect opens up The delusions of grandeur generally last until I get out of the airport!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phillipsm)
    Unfortunately, the only scheme running now is the Economics Sandwich Students Placement Scheme: one year placements for two or three undergraduates, who are interested in working for the FCO. To be eligible to apply candidates need to be on courses with a substantial economics element. FCO stress that they do not run any other work experience or temporary work placement schemes, which is a shame.
    :eek: I *so* wish my degree was a sandwich course. That'd be utterly perfect for me if it was over a summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aalish)
    Hey There's more than one way to become 'diplomatic'....

Am I a diplomat - hell no!
    Do I get a diplomatic visa when I go to the states for work - hell yes!

I think it's hilarious at passport control when they see it. A whole new world of respect opens up The delusions of grandeur generally last until I get out of the airport!!!
    :eek: What do you do? Diplomatic Visa's sound swish!

ReputationRep:
    G'ment scientist. Who says science doesn't pay??

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do Japanese and Politics at SOAS. i hope that's good enough to get into the fast stream!
    I speak 5 languages so far, will be 6 if i manage to learn russian over the next few years.
    fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    I'm on to the Assesment Centre stage of the application process and so far there seem to be no obvious old boys network etc etc. Though I think that may rear it's head if I get through the Assesment Centre. I think that certainly the Fast Stream itself is very open, your degree which needs to be a 2:2 is only just a key to opening up the application process after that it is all down to ability. I am a dyslexic Manchester student and I met other applicants and they have been really varied, though I suppose they are all from primarily top 20 unis Cambridge, Sheffield, Manchester etc.

My current boss was seconded to the FCO from BP and she said it is very much about networking and a very strange though interesting place to work. And she maybe is an example of knowing all the right people gets you where you want to be (Oxbridge grad etc).

One of my concerns is the pay it is the lowest of the fast stream, the average is over £23,000 but they only pay just over £20,000 which is London really doesn't go far (this coming from a Londoner).

Also with reference to the original post....the range of jobs for the UN etc is very varied. The UN can be a matter of who you know, a friend recently got a job with them from a professor of hers, withought even as much as a interview. And for the EU you couldn't go far wrong with joining the fast stream on graduation to get a good national grounding.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need an MA? As that would limit it to only those with parents able or willing to fund them...

ReputationRep:
    Well certainly you don't officially need one though I suppose it may be a bonus, I hope they take the approach of more enlightened recruiters such as Goldman’s that Academia is only one element of what you have to offer. You need to be a well rounded candidate like many other people have said you have to have good soft skills (communication, team working etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexmanc83)
    I'm on to the Assesment Centre stage of the application process and so far there seem to be no obvious old boys network etc etc. .
    Snap. At my e-tray there was me and eight guys, of which six were oxbridge :rolleyes: Not sure about the lack of old boys...

ReputationRep:
    Ok maybe Manchester is just that bit further from Oxbridge hence the lack up here of the old boys network...

ReputationRep:
    well most who go oxbridge have the best job situation and have all the relevant contacts to get ahead of those from the other unis, so have a relative advantage over other graduates when it comes to diplomat service

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 25, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.