The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What's wrong with communism? Apart from the power hungry lunatics it has been associated with throughout history, it can work.

If you think, our society isn't far from communism, we can vote yes, but we can't on major issues (apart from referendums, but they still have to be called by someone else). We have the illusion of people who "represent" our views, voicing our ideas in parliament, yet they clearly don't. How many people agreed with the iraq war? the action Gordon Brown took in dealing with the recession? Clearly not the majority.

You can't do anything nowadays without the man slapping a big red cross on it. And yes, I am very cynical.:smile:
Reply 21
Say hello to people in the street.
Alexzap8
What's wrong with communism? Apart from the power hungry lunatics it has been associated with throughout history, it can work.

Everything. It is the complete antithesis of human interaction and individual desires. It is hostile to freedom.

If you think, our society isn't far from communism, we can vote yes, but we can't on major issues (apart from referendums, but they still have to be called by someone else). We have the illusion of people who "represent" our views, voicing our ideas in parliament, yet they clearly don't. How many people agreed with the iraq war? the action Gordon Brown took in dealing with the recession? Clearly not the majority.

So you say "what's wrong with communism?" whilst complaining about how our system is so close to communism?

You can't do anything nowadays without the man slapping a big red cross on it. And yes, I am very cynical.:smile:

That kind of bureaucratic **** would just multiply under communism.
Reply 23
You're opinion. As I said previously, those 4 steps, and the UK will be a better place for everyone. Freedom doesn't exsist by the way, it's a fabricated idea. Human beings are never free, nor will be.

edit: I wasn't complaining about communism either, just stating the facts of modern britain.
Alexzap8
You're opinion. As I said previously, those 4 steps, and the UK will be a better place for everyone. Freedom doesn't exsist by the way, it's a fabricated idea. Human beings are never free, nor will be.

edit: I wasn't complaining about communism either, just stating the facts of modern britain.

It's not my opinion, it's proven fact from every communist society that has existed. Those four steps were awful (apart from the tougher prisoning one). National service is force, is it not? The majority of people do not "mug old ladies" and wish to have an education. Nat service is forcing them away from this to do a job they may not wish to do. It is parallel to slavery. Immigration is good at controlled levels, and universities can research whatever they want.

It's all very well to repeat Marxist lines like "freedom is an illusion" etc., but it's really not. The purpose of government in liberal democracies these days is to limit government to allow man to be as free as possible without infringing on the rights of others.
Reply 25
Alexzap8
4. Stop universities wasting money on research which isn't helping anyone. Eg, you don't need to research art, or languages, keep it science/engineering/cutting edge technology etc.

Seriously...wtf

The development of humanity allows us to explore things other than our basic needs.
We may as well scrap 'science/engineering/cutting edge technology' and go back to animalistic living if we're to discard the arts
Alexzap8
How is that naive? I'm sure the youth of days gone by had more respect and pride for their country when they were forced to do service. Unlike the chavs of today, assaulting and robbing old ladies.

Wrong. Throughout history there have always been subcultures and groups of (mostly poor and working class) young people who have been seen as rebellious, violent, uncouth, etc. In the Fifties it was the Teddy Boys, in the Sixties and Seventies it was the Mods and Rockers, in the Eighties it was Punks and skinheads.... Hell, crime and violence amongst young people (including vast quantities of street children) was absolutely rife in the early 20th century and all though 19th century! There were groups of violent young men in every century, terrorising more respectable people in the cities.
Reply 27
It is very well to repeat Marxist lines, when they're true, freedom as I imagine it doesn't exsist.

National service was only for a year. It could easily be fitted in after a uni degree or further education. You would then be free to do whatever job you pleased. It is hardly slavery, it is called working. If universities quit researching pointless subjects they could increase teacher and student levels, I don't think they should be free to waste money then complain to the government at a lack of funding.
Reply 28
thunder_chunky
Take the Jeremy Kyle show and add a few hungry lions.

That would mean putting you and your family at a great risk.
Alexzap8
It is very well to repeat Marxist lines, when they're true, freedom as I imagine it doesn't exsist.

Yes, as you imagine.

National service was only for a year. It could easily be fitted in after a uni degree or further education.

Most people who take a gap year don't go back. How would this be any different?

You would then be free to do whatever job you pleased. It is hardly slavery, it is called working.

No, forced work is slavery. National service is forced work.
Reply 30
Be less greedy.
Reply 31
I think the best thing to do is to be the best person that you can, work on yourself first. Lead by example. If you start living an inspiring life, that will inspire the people around you. If they become motivated to change themselves, that will then inspire the people around them.

We all have the power to do 'small' things which can have a positive impact, such as voluntary work and giving blood. Do a first aid course and the next time you're on public transport or wherever, the peope around you will be alot safer as a result.

If you see any injustice in your local community, voice your concerns, contact the local media and local MPs. Evil prevails when good men do nothing.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Nope, but this guy gives a good go!

WOOO RUSSELL HOWARD :biggrin: :p: :woo:
leave.
justwanttobefriends
WOOO RUSSELL HOWARD :biggrin: :p: :woo:

See, we've got the right idea :wink:
We can each kill ourselves a politician and a chav.
Reply 36
So, Finland, Germany, Denmark, Austria, Greece and Estonia should be kicked out of EU for supporting slaving?

You can also call compulsory education forced work/slavery, paying taxes too, etcetc.

It's all very well to repeat Marxist lines like "freedom is an illusion" etc., but it's really not. The purpose of government in liberal democracies these days is to limit government to allow man to be as free as possible without infringing on the rights of others.

Ironic, by reading what you said, I see that you agree, with the statement of "freedom is an illusion."
Reply 37
by making rape legal.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
See, we've got the right idea :wink:

Lol he is amaazing plus pretty fit lol omg i havent seen him on telly for ages am i missing out ??? :frown: has he been on telly?
Vismut
So, Finland, Germany, Denmark, Austria, Greece and Estonia should be kicked out of EU for supporting slaving?

If the EU had a backbone they'd do this. Many do not realise, though, the parallels between them.

You can also call compulsory education forced work/slavery, paying taxes too, etcetc.

Yes, I do.

Ironic, by reading what you said, I see that you agree, with the statement of "freedom is an illusion."

Explain where I said this?

Latest

Trending

Trending