Turn on thread page Beta

Times Or Sunday Times? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    I agree. That said , it seems people can't have enough of these celebs. I've never heard of a celeb. reality show being used as the main prime time programme at the christmas period before ( posh & becks ITV)
    I know, Xmas eve, 9:00pm, and there was nothing good on TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I know, Xmas eve, 9:00pm, and there was nothing good on TV.
    Worst christmas TV in years this year I reckon

ReputationRep:
    What is sad is that people actually buy magazines just to look at pictures of celebrities - they are normal people! they are not interesting at all! At least The Times deals with issues that matter and actually have an impact on the world and at least its readers have more intelligence than a mentally deficient stag beetle!
    You mean like Heat, Hello, Ok, Closer, Now, HotStars etc. All very interesting magazines and have given me a great education on celebrities. My knowledge on Celebrities is very high, I know lot's of random knowledge about different people. If someone would create something like HotPolitics magazine, I'd read it... but until they don't I'll stick to my gossip magazines.

It doesn't mean you are unintelligent just because you read about celebrities, infact it shows you have a broad knowledge. I think it is soo boring as a typical times reader is usually a swot who wears geeky clothes. I don't think anyone can enjoy reading that paper, they just read it because they think it makes them intelligent. There are papers which are good which are a cross between the tabloid and broadsheets, ie. Daily Mail/Daily Express.

ReputationRep:
    So you both watched Posh and Becks then? Sorry but on Christmas Eve what do you expect? The Christmas Politics Show?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    So you both watched Posh and Becks then? Sorry but on Christmas Eve what do you expect? The Christmas Politics Show?
    Nah, I didn't watch it. I actually expected a movie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    :rolleyes:

Have you ever read these papers? Do you honestly consider them as better than the sun?
    I've got two copies in the House. They are better than The Sun, but that says alot. The guardian is much better than the times.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is soo boring as a typical times reader is usually a swot who wears geeky clothes. I don't think anyone can enjoy reading that paper, they just read it because they think it makes them intelligent. There are papers which are good which are a cross between the tabloid and broadsheets, ie. Daily Mail/Daily Express.
    Have you read the Daily Mail? What do you think of it?

People don't just read The Times because they want to look intelligent, it's because they want to know what is happening in the world becasue that interest them. Many incredibly interesting people read broadsheets. Have you ever read or attemptd to read The Times?

The Daily Mail is not a cross between a tabloid and a broadsheet, it is a tabloid in the classical sense as opposed to the red-top tabloids like the Sun and their notoriously poor quality.

ReputationRep:
    My definition of what makes a good paper is a mix of being interesting and objective. The mail does good puzzles which I suppose means it does ok on the interesting side of things bit the biased hate filled articles that comprise about 75% of the paper (10% of the rest being the actual news and the remaining 15% being photo pages showing celebrity cellulite) are so far from objective that it isn't funny. Propaganda is not a nice thing for a newspaper to aspire to.
    That's fine if you prefer other Newspapers, I suppose it's just down to the reader if they want to look at celebrity cellulite.

ReputationRep:
    I've got two copies in the House. They are better than The Sun, but that says alot. The guardian is much better than the times.
    Well that's just your politics, but you can never say The Sun or The Mail are of a superior quality to The Times.

ReputationRep:
    Have you read the Daily Mail? What do you think of it?

People don't just read The Times because they want to look intelligent, it's because they want to know what is happening in the world becasue that interest them. Many incredibly interesting people read broadsheets. Have you ever read or attemptd to read The Times?

The Daily Mail is not a cross between a tabloid and a broadsheet, it is a tabloid in the classical sense as opposed to the red-top tabloids like the Sun and their notoriously poor quality.
    I have two latest copies in my house. I like the Daily Express a lot, I do think even if you don't that the articles are not quite The Sun and not quite The times and fall somewhere between them.

ReputationRep:
    If that's your priority when looking for a newspaper buying one which only contains 15% isn't really a wise move :0|
    Oh 15% is quite enough for me, I like reading the articles best.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see - it's reading the opinions of Lorraine Kelly that appeals?
    You mean Richard and Judy. No I think you'll find if you read the paper I'm talking about you will find intelligent articles.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see - it's reading the opinions of Lorraine Kelly that appeals?
    Which paper does she write in?

ReputationRep:
    You mean Richard and Judy. No I think you'll find if you read the paper I'm talking about you will find intelligent articles.
    The Express!!

They have Richard and Judy.

The Times has Matthew Parris, Mary-Ann Sieghart, Ben Macintyre and the Sunday Times has John Humphrys, Jeremy Clarkson and many more quality journalists.

ReputationRep:
    She spent some time writing for the Mail on Sunday (IIRC).

And Happy - I've read the mail - I found a lot of articles spouting the same ignorant opinions based on hearsay and fear that I can hear at any BNP meeting.
    I don't read the Mail on a regular basis, I read the Express. If I like to read these kind of papers then that is up to me despite you believing they are not papers for intelligent people.

ReputationRep:
    The Express!!

They have Richard and Judy.

The Times has Matthew Parris, Mary-Ann Sieghart, Ben Macintyre and the Sunday Times has John Humphrys, Jeremy Clarkson and many more quality journalists.
    Haha, I usually don't pay much attention to those pages.

Maybe I should take back what I said that these people who read it are boring (I did want to start an argument) but I failed! But I'm still not very interested in The Times as a paper.

ReputationRep:
    I don't read the Mail on a regular basis, I read the Express. If I like to read these kind of papers then that is up to me despite you believing they are not papers for intelligent people.
    But you were insisting that they were superior to The Times.

ReputationRep:
    But you were insisting that they were superior to The Times.
    Yes I prefer that paper.

ReputationRep:
    My mother and father used to read the Express, until they realised it was s***. Now they read all three main broadsheets, on different days.

I read the Independent, and sometimes the Guardian (or the Times if i'm desparate).

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.