Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I read some articles two days ago regarding Delbo King here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...er/4131798.stm
    http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ne..._on_video.html

I wonder, how can there be a lack of evidence here? If it featured rape or paedophilia do you think it would be any different? I think so.

I have personally witnessed the police using excessive force when there was no need when I was playing football at the local astro-turf where an arrest was made on the grass surrounding one side of the pitch. After playing football I said to some of my mates I was playing football with about the arrest and one of them said it's police brutality in a way because there was no need to use the amount of force that we noticed (as the arrestee gave himself up and was unarmed and not violent).

Has anybody noticed the police using excessive force to apprehend a suspect? It might seem not such a big deal but if ordinary citizens were to use excessive force in fights etc they can be in trouble, so if we are so should the police.

Any views anyone?

ReputationRep:
    wel they have to be sure dont they?? i mean- say they went in like pussys, then the suspect may just beat them off and leg it. their safetys in the balance as well. what if the suspect has a knife? they dont want to give them the chance to use it, so the go in making use of their training, which, to be effective is forceful

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely hope that the suspect wouldn't beat them all off.

I think that excessive force would be shoving a compliant suspect to the ground, trapping them and cuffing them.

ReputationRep:
    Sure it's good to be sure but I feel some people enjoy abusing their authority and sometimes it's just not worth going OTT because it will go against you. Bad enough having seen Cops (TV programme) years ago, one person on the ground with about 13 coppers with guns shouting etc. *ugh*

ReputationRep:
    The police force in this country is a complete disgrace. Pathetically power hungry.

Ever seen any of these programmes about crime in city centres? Booze britain and the like? Its horrendous, people are getting arrested just for being DRUNK, they'll arrest you for swearing, they'll arrest you for insulting them, for absolutely anything, and the funniest thing is they need about 10 police officers to detain one person. Even better - if the police ever try and chase you, its just laughable, if I'm ever in trouble like that, I will literally just leg it, they are absolutely shattered after about 100m of running, its quite laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. I've known some police officers and they're hardly as fit as you would expect them to be - too much drinking down the pubs over the years and all.

Some people may advocate that the police need a hard line but if it goes over the line you exceed society's trust which is not exactly what you want. You need people on your side not against.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and I for one am completely against them, they've never done anything helpful when things have gone wrong for me/my family, like things being stolen etc. and seem to be just after arresting me whilst I'm out on the piss.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Wonder if this has anything to do with the government.

I had a classmate once who was killed over a decade ago. Apparently it was an 'accident' but several years later they looked into it and then decided to think differently. What if that was the daughter of a policeman instead of a daughter of not so great parents living in a council house? Hmmmm. Yet, there was hardly any press stuff on this and it did my head in when we had the Soham murders because people were making out as if they were the only ones who got murdered etc.

ReputationRep:
    if theres not enough evidence theres not enough evidence. its that simple.

at any rate i dont see any problem with police officers giving a guy who admitted criminal damage and disorderly behaviour a bit of a roughing up.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say I agree with tek on the last bit of his post. Of course, if the person they'd roughed up had been innocent, then that may pose a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    if theres not enough evidence theres not enough evidence. its that simple.

at any rate i dont see any problem with police officers giving a guy who admitted criminal damage and disorderly behaviour a bit of a roughing up.
    Agreed! these things happen all the time and rightly so, if peopel are drunk and disorderly, resisting arrest etc then they should be giving a hiding by the police teach em not to do it again, lets face it in court wot do they get a small fine WOW big deal.

The only reason there putting it in the media is because he is Black lets face it.

Anyone who goes out at weekends to the loacl town centre etc will se police "brutality" all the time and its normally captured on cctv as there is very good coverage around town centres, but that dfoesnt make the news does it.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel the police in this country are a disgrace then you should move and live else where, rather than living under the "protection" they provide to society and massive generalisations about them being bad at their job. I think it's hard for the police to determin how much force to use. I personally consider "excessive force" to mean punching or kicking an unarmed / non-dangerous person, or using a baton/CS spray against them. Although there are miscarriages of justice, the police ultimately don't have time to arrest you, for isntance on a drunken night out, simply for their own amusement.

If someone feels they have been brutalised in some way then there are methods in place to allow them to complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goody1)
    Agreed! these things happen all the time and rightly so, if peopel are drunk and disorderly, resisting arrest etc then they should be giving a hiding by the police teach em not to do it again, lets face it in court wot do they get a small fine WOW big deal.

The only reason there putting it in the media is because he is Black lets face it.

Anyone who goes out at weekends to the loacl town centre etc will se police "brutality" all the time and its normally captured on cctv as there is very good coverage around town centres, but that dfoesnt make the news does it.
    indeed...its all going too soft these days.

the other day when i was coming home from armagh on the motorway the car behind us (an evo8 and probably some paramilitary drug dealers in it) got pulled over. the police didnt hang about and had rifles and guns drawn on it instantly. bet if that happen in the rest of the UK the people in the car would try to sue for stress.

a bit of a kicking never did anyone any harm, especially when they've been up to no good themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    indeed...its all going too soft these days.

the other day when i was coming home from armagh on the motorway the car behind us (an evo8 and probably some paramilitary drug dealers in it) got pulled over. the police didnt hang about and had rifles and guns drawn on it instantly. bet if that happen in the rest of the UK the people in the car would try to sue for stress.

a bit of a kicking never did anyone any harm, especially when they've been up to no good themselves.
    Yup,

We need to teach these fools somehow, if soem drunken idiot is going abotu causing criminal damage and generally being a disturbance he deserves everything he gets.

Yup they would and they would prolly win aswell and get a huge sum of money. Typical uks compensation culture. Police cant do right from doing wrong.

ReputationRep:
    bet if that happen in the rest of the UK the people in the car would try to sue for stress.
    Too true. I don't know weather this is deliberate policy or not, but if you're stopped by an armed car in my local force (for a non firearms related incident, obviously) they leave their guns in the car. Empty holsters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Yet, there was hardly any press stuff on this and it did my head in when we had the Soham murders because people were making out as if they were the only ones who got murdered etc.
    I completely agree there. That incident was tragic, but even more so overhyped. Apparently you need to be cute girls in Man Utd tops to get the nation's sympathy and coverage. (Do you remember every single Premiership match held a minute's silence for the death of those 2 girls - wtf??)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    I completely agree there. That incident was tragic, but even more so overhyped. Apparently you need to be cute girls in Man Utd tops to get the nation's sympathy and coverage. (Do you remember every single Premiership match held a minute's silence for the death of those 2 girls - wtf??)
    Or a black teenager.

Its up to the media what they report always been like that, any murder of an innocent person is tragic.

ReputationRep:
    police need to be more heavy handed, because this will scare youngsters from getting involved with them. afterall, when you were younger weren't u always afraid to get into trouble when the strict n loud teachers were around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    The police force in this country is a complete disgrace. Pathetically power hungry.

Ever seen any of these programmes about crime in city centres? Booze britain and the like? Its horrendous, people are getting arrested just for being DRUNK, they'll arrest you for swearing, they'll arrest you for insulting them, for absolutely anything, and the funniest thing is they need about 10 police officers to detain one person. Even better - if the police ever try and chase you, its just laughable, if I'm ever in trouble like that, I will literally just leg it, they are absolutely shattered after about 100m of running, its quite laughable.
    Not heard of the public disorder act? that is why people get arrested for swearing etc, and if people are to drunkj and abusive they should be locked so they dont pose a danger to others, but if there just smashed outof there brains trygin to get a taxi fairy muff, its easy to get arrested whilst out on the dirnk but they still dont arrest you for no reason. They use ten polcie officers because drunk people can be unpredictabel how do they know your not carrying a knife?

Power to the police id say if the police gave more durnken nob head s a kicking then perhaps there would be less violent by drunken idiots who think that a fight is the normal part of the night.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad NDGAARONDI started this thread, its good to talk about these things. That said, I don't really see the point about police brutality.

I think it's important to remember that King was resisting arrest (after having committed serious public damage/breach of peace) when he was kicked. Plus he was himself a boxer of sorts, so we must assume quite a good fighter. It's not as if the policeman in question went up to someone committing a minor crime, hurled them to the ground, and started kicking them.

Of course I'm not suggesting that if you commit a crime you automatically wave all your rights to protection by the law, but ultimately, IMHO, you can't legitimately get into a fight with the police and then complain you got hurt.

Even then, the officer concerned has only escaped criminal charges, it's not as if he's got off completely with the whole affair.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.