Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    She said size 5 US, and i don't think that really is equivalent to a 6 UK. I'm pretty sure a girl who's a 10 in us sizes isn't very fit.

ReputationRep:
    What are you on with. a US 10 is about a Uk 12 i think

ReputationRep:
    http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/sizes.html

So i guess if she's going to a five it's almost a uk 8. Which is what was said to be acceptable. Dresses run large many times to make the woman feel like she's smaller.

ReputationRep:
    from http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/sizes.html
    Dresses and Suits (women)

UK 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
    USA 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18

think there is some confusion in this thread.

it looks to me as if a US size 5 is a uk6-8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirPimpsALittle)
    http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/sizes.html

So i guess if she's going to a five it's almost a uk 8. Which is what was said to be acceptable. Dresses run large many times to make the woman feel like she's smaller.
    lol snap!

ReputationRep:
    add 4 to the US size and you have the british size, then you have crazy sizes like 1,2,3,4,5 in places like gap and morgan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soapysudds1)
    add 4 to the US size and you have the british size, then you have crazy sizes like 1,2,3,4,5 in places like gap and morgan
    seems more like add 2, conflicting information everywhere :confused:

I have noticed those crazy sizes as well, and often there are no conversion charts to be seen, in places like that i just guess and take one of each sensible looking size into the changing rooms!

ReputationRep:
    oh well

ReputationRep:
    U.S. Sizes 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42 44 46 48 50 52
    U.K. Sizes 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42 44 46 48 50 52 54
    E.U. Sizes 42 44 46 48 50 52 54 56 58 60 62 64 66 68 70 72 74 76 78 80
    Aust. Sizes 16-18 18-20 20-22 22 24 26 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42 44 46 48 50 52
    Russian Sizes 48 50 52 54 56 58 60 62 64 66 68 70 72 74 76 78 80 82 84 86

one I found... it seems to be add 2 and you have the UK sizes. So this would mean a US 5 is a EU size 33 (33 doesn't exist, 34 does though). 34 is very small though, 36 and 38 are the normal sizes for someone that height. 36 at that hight would not look that good really, but again, all makes of clothes are different. Some makes I'm a 36 others I'm a 38, just cause they all seem to have a different idea of what a 36 or 38 is. So it really depends if this dress really is extremely small in which case get it larger, because 34 is more like the size you'd have if you were 1.50 to 1.60 meters tall (sorry, no idea about Imperial measurements).

ReputationRep:
    whenever i see celebs in size 6 clothes, they look just TOO thin..stay the way you are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirPimpsALittle)
    She said size 5 US, and i don't think that really is equivalent to a 6 UK. I'm pretty sure a girl who's a 10 in us sizes isn't very fit.
    i really don't understand US sizes. if i'm in gap, which sells jeans in US sizes, i take a 6 (which is a UK 10, apparently), but when i was in america i got some levi's jeans which say on the label that they are a size 3.

to be honest, i'm stumped. i can't even remember the name of the person who started this thread but, whoever you are, if you give your size in cm/inches then it might sort out what size you are trying to be? because UK and US sizes really don't match up very well.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by buttons7)
    i really don't understand US sizes. if i'm in gap, which sells jeans in US sizes, i take a 6 (which is a UK 10, apparently), but when i was in america i got some levi's jeans which say on the label that they are a size 3.

to be honest, i'm stumped. i can't even remember the name of the person who started this thread but, whoever you are, if you give your size in cm/inches then it might sort out what size you are trying to be? because UK and US sizes really don't match up very well.
    Well, UK sizes vary sometimes too! So that would be a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    I think that yes, a size 6 at 5ft 7 is a bit on the small side but if she's happy then thats whats important.

But I hate the way that everyone disses the people who are size 6s.

I'm 5ft 5, a size 6 top (when they have them in the shop), and wear 6 and 8 in trousers/skirts/dresses. I dont consider myself 'disgustingly thin'.

We talk about slightly overweight people like they are 'curvy', putting the nice spin on it, why cant we do the same the other way around too, rather than just insulting slim people.

x x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~~hannah~~)
    I think that yes, a size 6 at 5ft 7 is a bit on the small side but if she's happy then thats whats important.

I'm 5ft 5, a size 6 top (when they have them in the shop), and wear 6 and 8 in trousers/skirts/dresses. I dont consider myself 'disgustingly thin'.

We talk about slightly overweight people like they are 'curvy', putting the nice spin on it, why cant we do the same the other way around too, rather than just insulting slim people.

x x x
    That's a fair point but being slim is potentially as unhealthy as being overweight. Being 5ft 7 and a size 6 can be as damaging to ones health as being 5ft 7 and a size 20, it's just a different type of unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    Well we cant judge whether a size 6 at 5ft7 is very unhealthy, or just slightly on the thin side, coz we dont know her weight and thus BMI.

And its not being 'slim' thats unhealthy, its being 'thin'. The problem nowadays seems to be that the media seems to label people as 'thin' or 'fat' without there being any inbetween. At the moment being 'slim' seems to be frowned on as you are automatically labelled as 'underweight' even if youre not.

ReputationRep:
    Well we cant judge whether a size 6 at 5ft7 is very unhealthy, or just slightly on the thin side, coz we dont know her weight and thus BMI.

And its not being 'slim' thats unhealthy, its being 'thin'. The problem nowadays seems to be that the media seems to label people as 'thin' or 'fat' without there being any inbetween. At the moment being 'slim' seems to be frowned on as you are automatically labelled as 'underweight' even if youre not.
    You are right, BMI and exact weight are crucial rather than clothes size. A clothes size reveals very little as it depends on build, height, weight, body shape etc. I just hope people don't want to strive to be underweight because that's really bad

ReputationRep:

x x x
    You dont have to be slightly overweight to be curvy.

ReputationRep:
    Thats true. but they often say that, for example, Charlotte Church is 'curvy', when I think she looks ever so slightly overweight.

But if theres a picture of a celeb whos a little underweight, then shes 'disgustingly thin' and 'anorexic'. And this idea seems to have caught on away from the media.

x x x

ReputationRep:
    I think you're blind if you dont see the media absolutely blasting people for being the tiniest bit overweight. That's where the pressure to be thin comes from. Lately they've been better with it, trying to embrace curves and i think that's a good thing. I'm not saying it's great to call them anorexic or whatnot but i think the more they discourage young girls from "dying to be thin" then the better

ReputationRep:
    charlotte church is not over weight!!!! she just isnt a frail little waif like ppl like renee zellweger!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.