Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! :wavey:

Basicly i have chosen to do: Art, Maths, Biology and Chemsitry (hence my siggy) But i have heard from a few mates of mine that it'll be quite hefty because all 4 subject choices are hard.
    I chose these subjects as i still dont know what i really want to do as a career, im thinking about:
    I have an interest in psychology so maybe a Psychologist therefore i picked Maths and a science subect
    But then again i enjoy biology so i picked biology and chemistry (btw what careers involve biology?)
    But (lol) i also LOVE art so i picked art too.

So what do you guys think? Good subject combo? Or it'll be too hard? Or should i replace one of them for an easier subject such as Psychology?

Thanks
    SketchyCanvas

ReputationRep:
    btw, what careers involve Art or Biology? :p:

ReputationRep:
    They are very good subjects and if you choose them you'll have a lot of options open to you. If you're really interested in psychology maybe you should choose that, instead of maths maybe. Biology and chemistry compliment each other, wheras maths would be more relevant if you were choosing physics. Depends which subjects you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Goodish combo - has variety and they are enjoyable subjects in my opinion. If you enjoy them, it is irrelevent whether or not the work load if higher because your enthusiasm should be superior. Visit >> http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/index.cfm?id=1 for information on jobs. Don't let speculation that some subjects are harder than others put you off. I find Maths and Science easy, whereas I find English and Art much harder. What is that saying? - Aside from the obvious! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    They are very good subjects and if you choose them you'll have a lot of options open to you. If you're really interested in psychology maybe you should choose that, instead of maths maybe. Biology and chemistry compliment each other, wheras maths would be more relevant if you were choosing physics. Depends which subjects you enjoy.
    To become a Psychologist you need to have Maths as an alevel and one or more science subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Bloody hell! Stupid prolexic message causing me to double post... Can a Mod delete the first two? Ta.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    All a-levels are hard!

ReputationRep:
    lol, so what would you say is the hardest out of your a levels?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, the combination of subjects you chose are good. Since you are interested in psychology, you might want to drop one of the 4 subjects in year 13, and take on an AS psychology. One of my friends are applying for a psychology degree with just an AS along with other A-levels, and she still got an offer.

I think you can substitute Chemistry with Pyschology, as you like the other subjects.

(Original post by Whizz Kid)
    Bloody hell! Stupid prolexic message causing me to double post... Can a Mod delete the first two? Ta.
    You can delete them yourself. Click on the 'edit' button. On top, click on the 'delete message' radio button. Then click 'delete this message' button.

ReputationRep:
    From experience with a friend, he/she spent 70 percent of his/her time in the art room, just because there was sooooo much work to cover.
    There's a hell of a lot to do for chemistry and biology too: that's if you want the A.
    Maths is a must whatever uni course you apply for. okay not for classics, but it's a basic choice. Keep your maths and the chem as your foundation. Most unis take you for bio chem courses without bio but must be chem.

If it was me: I know that I don't cope well with heavy work loads, then i'd do maths chem and bio.
    For As i chose maths, chem, french and german. Chem was too much for me aswell as the others so i had to drop it: even though it was my favourite subject.

ReputationRep:
    Hi im doin as level french german biology an chemistry.. my friends have sed that 2 languages and the 2 sciences wil b near on impossible coz the work load wud b waay too much.. well this is al depending on my gcse results ( grrrr 2 wks!! its nt fair )
    im predicted a* for both langs and As for both the sciences im doin .. A* for doule science overall ... any suggestions as to whether this is good mix.. any advice from students doing these subs from last years as candidates thank u xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE-prinzessin1988]
    Hi im doin as level french german biology an chemistry.. my friends have sed that 2 languages and the 2 sciences wil b near on impossible coz the work load wud b waay too much.. well this is al depending on my gcse results ( grrrr 2 wks!! its nt fair )
    im predicted a* for both langs and As for both the sciences im doin .. A* for doule science overall ... any suggestions as to whether this is good mix.. any advice from students doing these subs from last years as candidates thank u xxxxxxxxxxxxx[/QUOTE]

I don't see why it would be TOO much work, although I would heart of hearts only recommend 3 A-levels. I did French, German, Chem and Maths. I spent all my day doing chemistry and so neglected all my other subjects. Just because you can write and speak the languages really well, doesn't exempt you from doing the work... or so i found out!

Tell me a bit about your ability with the languages... as that will help, but i see you may be a (near) native german.
    To be quite candid, I would advise against Bio and German, and do maths instead.

ReputationRep:
    PS. Enlighten us as to the teaching quality you have in your mentioned subjects. That should swing the decision a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldenratio)
    From experience with a friend, he/she spent 70 percent of his/her time in the art room, just because there was sooooo much work to cover.
    There's a hell of a lot to do for chemistry and biology too: that's if you want the A.
    Maths is a must whatever uni course you apply for. okay not for classics, but it's a basic choice. Keep your maths and the chem as your foundation. Most unis take you for bio chem courses without bio but must be chem.

If it was me: I know that I don't cope well with heavy work loads, then i'd do maths chem and bio.
    For As i chose maths, chem, french and german. Chem was too much for me aswell as the others so i had to drop it: even though it was my favourite subject.
    Thats what i was thinking with the Art because it'll take up a lot of my time but its my favourite subject :p:

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry
    Maths with mechanics
    Biology
    French
    Music

Retarded combination I know, the workload will probably force myself to drop one in the first week but hey.
    Music should be fun though considering I've done grade 8 piano and violin and I love French so it shouldn't be too bad.

ReputationRep:
    well you see im carrying on at my secondary school sixth form its a girls grammar school.. the languages teaching hasnt been very good over the past 5 years i must say with my first language i studied since year 7 being french.. i basicaly taught myself to gcse level.. however in german i had two eyars of good teaching which set me off for a good gcse time...lol i hav most probably always been top of my year for both languages obtaining a level 7 at SAT level.. which i herd is quite rare or sumfink...i wudnt consider myself near native but other ppl think im like totally flawless.. but i gess every1 has their bad dayz! unfortunately my bad days were crossing the edexcel german an french exams grrrr i just am expected so much of by my languages teachers lik im sposed 2 b near native by their standards . as for science well i decided to choose these as i really enjoy them.. ive bin told 2 drop either chemistry or biology coz they r both hard work together as wel as langs on top.. but i cud no way do maths no offence.. i WAS in the top set. dont get me wrong but at the bottom of it lol! my target grade is an A u have to get an A to study maths a level at my school.. i dnt think il make it sumhow lol! i do hav a chance but neway i fink i scared my maths teacher by jokingly saying on the maths lesson that il do maths next yr lol! so wat ya fink guys? good luck 2 all btw for gcses!!! xxxxxxx plz reply

ReputationRep:
    I'd stick with your combination, you don't need a phsychology as or a2 to read it at university, but you do need maths and on science, but two is better. Art is a lot of work, but keep on top of it and don't leave it all until the night before the deadline and you'll be ok.

ReputationRep:
    For as level i hope to do biology, maths, chemistry and geography. Would that be ok or do you htink it will be too much work? In the future i aim to do zoology at uni, so my subjects are geared towards that

ReputationRep:
    AH!! Everyone seems really sure about what they will do, but the closest i am to deciding is that i am DEFINITELY doing either Art or Textiles - even my definitely is unsure :eek:

SketchyCanvas - My sister took Biology and Chemistry too, because it was recommended to her and she said that the Biology really helped her understand some of the Chemistry (or vice versa)
    My point is they are good choices...so is ART! YEH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saphira)
    AH!! Everyone seems really sure about what they will do, but the closest i am to deciding is that i am DEFINITELY doing either Art or Textiles - even my definitely is unsure :eek:

SketchyCanvas - My sister took Biology and Chemistry too, because it was recommended to her and she said that the Biology really helped her understand some of the Chemistry (or vice versa)
    My point is they are good choices...so is ART! YEH!
    Well do you have any idea what you want to study at uni or what career you would like when you leave school? Also, what are your best subjects?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.