Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    I agree (I've reiterated this in earlier posts).

My point is, your original quote of a racism definition doesn't account for superiority in different fields by different races, only universal superiority.
    Well, I was suggesting as a way of example that all races are exactly similar except in skin pigmentation.

Also, the definition can account for all the discrepancies between races, but you would need a collosal, unintelligible calculation to find out which race finally ends up being superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    but you would need a collosal, unintelligible calculation to find out which race finally ends up being superior.
    The one that survives of course! The other "races" that are inferior would have died out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    The one that survives of course! The other "races" that are inferior would have died out...
    That applies more to species, rather than race, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I thought I should say that by being i meant 'as' rahter than 'in the future', but actually both kind of equate to the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    That applies more to species, rather than race, surely?
    Maybe, but what is race? Define that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Maybe, but what is race? Define that
    The terms are muddied, however it means a genealogical line within a species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    The terms are muddied, however it means a genealogical line within a species.
    That would mean it would be possible for a race to be extinct...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    That would mean it would be possible for a race to be extinct...
    Yes. Ignore my earlier wonderment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alec)
    Yes. Ignore my earlier wonderment.
    Earlier wonderement ignored...

ReputationRep:
    1) Your argument doesn't take into account "superiority".

2) I wouldn't call reaction to the strength of the Sun, a character trait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    1) Your argument doesn't take into account "superiority".

2) I wouldn't call reaction to the strength of the Sun, a character trait.

We've already been over this, read through the thread again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    We've already been over this, read through the thread again.
    Can't be arsed.

ReputationRep:
    this is off topic but it only requires one answer how often are you on here bigcnee coz i remember you joining aout the same time as me and your posts number is flying v high!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissmequick)
    this is off topic but it only requires one answer how often are you on here bigcnee coz i remember you joining aout the same time as me and your posts number is flying v high!!!
    He joined in June...You in december...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    He joined in June...You in december...
    ok but when i joined i assumed he did around the same time because his post number was low then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissmequick)
    ok but when i joined i assumed he did around the same time because his post number was low then
    He had about 1400 post count? When you joined? I'm pretty sure that was the figure

ReputationRep:
    I blame improved Net access and general laziness.

ReputationRep:
    back to this race thing........ how would you explain intelligence etc in different races, eg the idea that Asian/Chinese are better at maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    back to this race thing........ how would you explain intelligence etc in different races, eg the idea that Asian/Chinese are better at maths?
    Without having any information about IQ (broken down into maths, literary, spatial etc), by race, it's rather difficult to say.

An IQ test wouldn't be an entirely fair measure though. You'd have to make a sample of a population take exactly the same test for X amount of races. How can you though, without translating it? After translation, the tests wouldn't have explicitly the same meaning, and wouldn't be identical to one another making the information void.

I suppose though, considering there are physical differences between race, in stands to reason there are races who on average have a higher IQ, just as there are races who on average can run 100m faster than others.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.