Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'aquired' the new album a couple of days ago (ahem) and oh my god it's amazing! Definitely recomend it!

so yeah...anyone else heard it? thoughts? opinions in general of DCFC?

and also...do they ever play gigs in England? wouldn't mind going to see them...but they dont seem to ever tour Europe...

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'acquired' have you got it copied, or downloaded it illegally? :eek:

Erm, is it available on amazon.co.uk yet, because I really want it to! I think I might get it in America because I'm going to Florida on Monday, and it'll be out there, won't it?

Is it really that good??! I didn't think anything could beat "Transatlanticism". I mean all of DCFC's albums have been good, but they do seem to get better with each one!

What's it like?

And yeah, I wanna see them live too, but I looked on their site and there's no UK Tour plans that I know of.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and "opinions" in general - they're fantastic. I made a thread on them a while ago. I like The Postal Service too, but DCFC are better. My favourite track is probably; "Title and Registration" but I love "The New Year", "Expo' 86", "Lightness", "That's Incentive", "A Lack of Colour", "We Laugh Indoors", "Photobooth" etc. Actually I love them all.

If "Title and Registration" isn't my fav track though, "We Looked Like Giants" definitely is. What a tune! :p:

ReputationRep:
    *cough* glassdanse.com *cough*

Deffo not out in England yet, August 30th I think...will be buying it when it's out! Don't think it's out in America...but I could be wrong.

I've always prefered We Have The Facts... to Transatlanticisim, but yeah, from the first few listens, I'm liking this one more! It's more of the same really, but IMO, that's no bad thing...

ReputationRep:
    *sidles over to glassdanse*

Yeah, "We Have The Facts..." is a great listen too. I love "For What Reason", "Company Calls", "Lowell MA" et al - in fact it's an 'every-track-is-a-good-track' release. But yay, I'm all excited for "Plans" now!!

They're really good. In fact, I would probably say that DCFC are my favourite band. Modest Mouse a close second, or on par perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    cool, overall they're one of the most consistantly brilliant bands in the world. The photo album is my favourite i think, although i'll give this a listen.

I hope they don't become really mainstream after their OC appearence, part of the reason i love them so much is because whenever they come to the uk they plan such tiny venues.
    It'll be like idlewild all over again

ReputationRep:
    wow, I will follow you into the dark is amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    wow, I will follow you into the dark is amazing
    Definitely my favourite on the album...

ReputationRep:
    OOO!! New Stellastarr* album is on glasdanse.com....:eek:

(off topic but it's my thread so meh)

ReputationRep:
    Does Death Cab For Cutie have anything to do with the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band song of the same name?

ReputationRep:
    i don't know, i'm a big fan of both but over the last 3 or 4 years have never been able to find out if death cab for cutie are infact named after the bonzo dog doo dah band. I can't imagine they got their name from anywhere else, its not exactly something you'd just make up.

I mean they are totally different, although i wouldn't mind hearing death cab for cutie doing a cover of Tubas in the Moonlight or Mr Apollo

ReputationRep:
    They don't seem as unique as Bonzo. And their website doesn't, as far as I can tell, acknowledge Viv Stanshall et al., but like you said, it doesn't seem very likely that they'd just come up with that name. Unless it's actually from somewhere else, and Bonzo were simply the first to nick it.

ReputationRep:
    I love the album. I really really love it, and I'm definitely gonna buy it the very day it comes out. I love Marching bands of Manhattan, I just love the "your love is gonna drown" line... what sarah said, is beautiful. I will follow you into the dark is probably my favorite one too. It is a great song.... Soul Meets Body is probably my least favorite death cab track ever. Still, the whole album is amazing.
    But they shouldn't have cut stability and added it as stable song....

I am obsessed with this band (ask spikdboy, lol) and I can't pick between The Photo Album and Transatlanticism for a favorite. I also can't wait to hear Chris Walla's production on Plans =). I'm listening to the John Byrd EP right now actually, and then the photo album and then transatlanticism, then plans for like the third time today... so what a coincidence, lol.
    I just love Ben Gibbard's lyrics, and Chris Walla's production, and the regular simplicity.
    I wish they came to Mexico...

ReputationRep:
    I also want to buy the Drive Well, Sleep Carefully DVD... soon, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Death Cab are amazing :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I've just downloaded "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" and "Soul Meets Body", so far so good. Especially IWFYITD - that's the problem with getting the supposed best song first; there's a danger all the rest might pale in comparison - but not with DCFC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I've just downloaded "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" and "Soul Meets Body", so far so good. Especially IWFYITD - that's the problem with getting the supposed best song first; there's a danger all the rest might pale in comparison - but not with DCFC.
    Different Names For The Same Thing is another highlight for me...

but yeah, I will follow you into the dark is the best song on the album by quite a distance IMO...perhaps my all time favourite Death Cab song...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    Different Names For The Same Thing is another highlight for me...

but yeah, I will follow you into the dark is the best song on the album by quite a distance IMO...perhaps my all time favourite Death Cab song...
    It's definitely one of the best. But I don't know if anything could beat "Title and Registration" for me; the lyrics in that song are amazing. "Lightness" and "We Looked Like Giants" too.

But yeah, "IWFYITD" is a fantastic track. I'm just listening to "Marching Bands of Manhatten" now. I'll look for "Different Names For The Same Thing" - I thought that one might be a good 'un actually, I like the title.

I want to buy it now! (We're such illegal scroungers! :p: ). I don't think anybody can match this band, no-one. It's amazing that they're not absolutely huge.

ReputationRep:
    they are pretty big in america.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    they are pretty big in america.

Well they deserve to be, if anybody does.

Finished with "Plans" now. Highlights thus far (I'm aware some will be slow-growers): "I Will Follow You Into The Dark", "Soul Meets Body", "Crooked Teeth", "Different Names For The Same Thing", "Marching Bands of Mathatten"....in fact, this is getting silly. They are all good.

Does anybody else find the pace is a lot slower than some of the old stuff? Like their are more melodic tracks, and less pumping drums. I like a nice mix of both.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.