The Student Room Group

Stop my calculator showing fractions as answers?

CASIO fx-85ES is the model, I've googled but to no avail.

Can anyone instruct me on how to stop it showing fractions as answers? I don't have the instruction booklet.

Scroll to see replies

there's a little button mid-right with S-D or something similar. Press that.
Press SHIFT then MODE (SETUP), then 2: LineIO. That should fix it.
Reply 3
Ok I pressed that and it still does the fractions.

It has [D] and Math and a triangle pointing upwards on the display at the top if that helps =[
Reply 4
WhatIsAUsername?

:woo: Thankyouthankyouthankyou

will rep tomorrow
aliluvschoc
:woo: Thankyouthankyouthankyou

will rep tomorrow

No problem. Glad I could help.
Reply 6
WhatIsAUsername?

I would leave calculator showing fractions and use the button when you want answer in decimal form. Do remember that fractions are usually preferred by examiners.
steve2005
I would leave calculator showing fractions and use the button when you want answer in decimal form. Do remember that fractions are usually preferred by examiners.

That is actually what I do. Thanks for the advice anyway.
Reply 8
when the fraction comes up press ENG
Reply 9
steve2005

100%
Truncating answers can also be an issue.

Working in fractions is generally far tidier on paper too as it will allow for cancelling and easier manipulation

(1/8)^2 compared to (0.125)^2 seems a no brainer
steve2005

As OP is a Psych student, I assume that this is for degree level statistics. In which case, it's more of an annoyance and it isn't really preferred.
but to be honest, for sciences you don't want to work in fractions because you've got to sit there on your digital scale using decimals not fractions. I find it irritating too.
Reply 12
Missy Bee
100%
Truncating answers can also be an issue.

Working in fractions is generally far tidier on paper too as it will allow for cancelling and easier manipulation

(1/8)^2 compared to (0.125)^2 seems a no brainer

I'm doing a degree containing statistics, I need to work with, and present the absolute numerical values. :o:

I have no idea about maths papers though, but it's an interesting discussion. I'd never have thought fractions to be preferable!
You can also press shift and then Enter to get answers in Decimals without having to change modes (make sure you don't do the calculations twice i.e. what you're calculating should either be entirely number based or simply be "Ans" and nothing else). But then if you have no use for fractions and 9 or so decimal places is accurate enough then you may as well change the mode so you always get decimal answers.
Reply 14
aliluvschoc
I'm doing a degree containing statistics, I need to work with, and present the absolute numerical values. :o:

I have no idea about maths papers though, but it's an interesting discussion. I'd never have thought fractions to be preferable!

Fair one.
Probably better off with one which doesn't have the 'text book' display (the fraction/surds). The older model has the normal display

pi/2 & sqr root 2 etc etc are great on these calcs as a mathematician.
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?

THANK YOU! Been beating my head against the wall with the same problem as OP.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
S-->D or shift S-->D
Thank you so much, this was very helpful
Oh my god thank you it worked. You are so smart. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you
This thread saved me I will not be getting beaten by casio the calculater that's about 20 years old Iol

Quick Reply