The Student Room Group

Do you go to all of your lectures?

I was just wondering how many of you go to all of your lectures? If any at all :biggrin:

I know that my friends brother doesnt actually go to any except for his ancient history lectures as they're so boring. Instead he just prints off notes from the web-site. This I guess isnt the best thing to do... But do you miss out on stuff like essays etc. if you dont go to lectures? Or do you get them in the smaller 10 person class kind of things? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In a word... no.
But then I don't do an essay subject - I do Computer Systems Engineering and almost all of the lecturers give handouts which cover most stuff I need to know :smile: Some of them are not the most talented teachers ever so I usually find it's more productive to get the handouts and read them over myself. If I know they're going to explain a big project or something though, I'll make sure I go along so I don't miss anything.
Jenn xx
You really should try and get to most of the lectures, but in most universities, lectures are not “compulsory”, seminar and tutorials are.

Most of my lecturers don’t give out detailed handouts; they’re usually background info, quotations, definitions and names of people that have been discussed during the lecture.

This may sound geeky, but you are in university, primarily, to learn!!
Reply 3
martynwilliams

This may sound geeky, but you are in university, primarily, to learn!!

lies!! :biggrin:
paddy123
lies!! :biggrin:

:eek:
Reply 5
Ive been in uni a year now, and i dont know anyone who has been to all their lectures. Its ok to miss the odd one but dont make a habit of it cause it will probably affect how well you end up doing in your exams. The temptation is there to miss lectures as there isnt a registrer so no-one knows that your not there. But there is a register for tutorials.
Legend_16
Ive been in uni a year now, and i dont know anyone who has been to all their lectures. Its ok to miss the odd one but dont make a habit of it cause it will probably affect how well you end up doing in your exams. The temptation is there to miss lectures as there isnt a registrer so no-one knows that your not there. But there is a register for tutorials.

I didn’t go to the odd lecture in the first year, but as the first year doesn’t count towards your degree anyway (you’ve got to pass it to move on to the 2nd year, but the grades don’t count towards your classification) it really didn’t matter, but last year, I think I only missed two or three lectures.

I live 15 miles away from the University, and there was the odd cold, damp morning, when I had a 9am lecture (which means getting up at 7am) I really could have stayed in bed! So I turn up on time for the lecture, and what REALLY annoys me, is when people who live on CAMPUS or very near to campus turn up late, when I’ve travelled 15 miles by car to get there on time!!

But anyway, going back to the point, it’s quite important you try and turn up for all the lectures, because they will catch you out in seminars, when they ask questions on a particular lecture, which you haven’t been to!
Reply 7
Did anyone go to all of their lessons at college? .. lol ... i was sooo good the first year but then realised how gash it was and i could have been out having fun!

Must not slip into those bad habbits again though!
Reply 8
I went to most my lectures the only one I didn't was database systems in the first year it was quite easy stuff I've done before at college such as normalisation, access, VBA etc I didn't attend a single lecture and still got 80% :biggrin:

However other modules I found really hard despite going for every lecture, one I would have almost failed, I got 42% but they bump peoples mark up a little if they do badly but have attended all lecures. Also if you didn't attend lectures and struggeled the tutors would tell you go get lost, if you attended most lectures and found it hard they would do their best to make sure you passed the module.
Reply 9
martynwilliams
I didn’t go to the odd lecture in the first year, but as the first year doesn’t count towards your degree anyway (you’ve got to pass it to move on to the 2nd year, but the grades don’t count towards your classification) it really didn’t matter!

At Imperial it counts as 10%! :redface:

mR_CaRL
Did anyone go to all of their lessons at college? .. lol ... i was sooo good the first year but then realised how gash it was and i could have been out having fun! !

well in private school (and even more if you are a boarding student!) is compulsary although in Year 12 (no boarder) I skip ALL the Business lessons from March onwards :P and half of the Maths ones from April onwards and a few double physics in the afternoon... :P
kitsune
At Imperial it counts as 10%! :redface:

Oh right, sensible incentive to make sure students turn up to lectures eh!
Reply 11
martynwilliams
Oh right, sensible incentive to make sure students turn up to lectures eh!

I think ICL is the only uni that does this! Not even Cambridge!
martynwilliams
I live 15 miles away from the University, and there was the odd cold, damp morning, when I had a 9am lecture (which means getting up at 7am) I really could have stayed in bed! So I turn up on time for the lecture, and what REALLY annoys me, is when people who live on CAMPUS or very near to campus turn up late, when I’ve travelled 15 miles by car to get there on time!!

Tell me about it. I once travelled all the way up to London for a seminar only to find that it was only me and the lecturer. God damn that was annoying.

martynwilliams
But anyway, going back to the point, it’s quite important you try and turn up for all the lectures, because they will catch you out in seminars, when they ask questions on a particular lecture, which you haven’t been to!

Yes. I try to go to all of my lectures. I've probably missed a handful this year. Not because I was 'skiving', just because of late trains or because of other things that I had to go to (eg. a funeral).

I may also pop over to Belgium for a few days this term. The difference is, compared to school, I'm going to apologise to my lecturers for missing their lecture - because it's an adult environment - whereas in school, I'd be nothing but glad to 'get off' school for a day or two.

Going to university and not going to lectures is thoroughly immature. If you don't want to be there, don't go. Nobody is forcing you to get thousands of pounds in debt and learn something.
kitsune

My college (Heythrop) has some bizarre system for degree assessment which works out a median score based on eighteen of your marks split across the three years - and two of the median marks are from the first year.
i tried to go to all my lectures but missed a months worth because i had mumps! managed to catch up fine tho but i do advise you attend most of em
As a few people have mentioned, what's the point of paying so much money and getting into so much debt to go to university, then not bothering to go to lectures? It's a waste of time, a waste of money and a waste of a place taken away from someone who really wanted to be there. You might be able to get handouts, but generally they'd probably just give you an overview and not go into as much detail as the lecturer did. Another point is that if you realise you're failing and go to your lecturer for help, they're far more likely to be nice and help you if you have a good attendance record so they know you're actually trying.
Reply 16
I dont go to all of them... there is actually no point with some units, i just get the notes off the web, look at the them in my own time and im much better off. Not all lecturers are born to lecture, some of them are sooo dull that you learn nothing. Ive only had 2 units out of... about 20 that have and attendance taken

but saying that my attendance was better in the second year than the first!
kitsune

My ex boyfriend is studying at Warwick and his first year counted for 10%.
tommorris
Tell me about it. I once travelled all the way up to London for a seminar only to find that it was only me and the lecturer. God damn that was annoying.

Yes. I try to go to all of my lectures. I've probably missed a handful this year. Not because I was 'skiving', just because of late trains or because of other things that I had to go to (eg. a funeral).

I may also pop over to Belgium for a few days this term. The difference is, compared to school, I'm going to apologise to my lecturers for missing their lecture - because it's an adult environment - whereas in school, I'd be nothing but glad to 'get off' school for a day or two.

Going to university and not going to lectures is thoroughly immature. If you don't want to be there, don't go. Nobody is forcing you to get thousands of pounds in debt and learn something.

Totally agree with everything you say there!

I actually think department and universities should keep check on who does and does not turn up to lectures, and give the ones who turn up regularly extra credit when it comes to degree classification. Why should those people who don’t turn up get away with not going to lectures?
Reply 19
susiemakemeblue
My ex boyfriend is studying at Warwick and his first year counted for 10%.

What course? Can you keep a long distance relationship? :redface:

Latest