Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    My ex boyfriend is studying at Warwick and his first year counted for 10%.
    Mine's the same (Computer Systems Engineering at Warwick), as was my boyfriend's I believe (Maths and Physics also at Warwick). I think it's mainly for the science degrees that they make the first year worth part of your overall degree.
    And to clarify my position on not attending lectures: I wouldn't completely skip the work that was covered in lectures (cos then I'd fall way behind, obviously) but I don't think that lectures are the style of teaching that I work best with so I find it's more effective to take the lecture notes as guidelines of what to learn and then teach it to myself. I don't know about anyone else but I find it really hard to actually learn stuff when someone is just talking at me with a bunch of slides for an hour - labs are much better and I don't mind sitting down with some notes and reading them over myself either. So, if I find I'm not getting anything out of being in the lectures, I don't go to them and just use the notes as guidelines of what to learn.
    Jenn xx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't miss a single lecture, practical or tutorial in my first year :angel:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: that's so... COOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I didn't miss a single lecture, practical or tutorial in my first year :angel:
    Well, as you're a Swansea graduate, i'd expect nothing less!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    Well, as you're a Swansea graduate, i'd expect nothing less!!

Er - I probably only made about 70% of lectures at Swansea (a figure brought down by having too many hangovers in my first year!!!).

ReputationRep:
    Er - I probably only made about 70% of lectures at Swansea (a figure brought down by having too many hangovers in my first year!!!).
    :eek: shameful!

ReputationRep:
    No, 11 in the morning is too early.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: shameful!
    Is 'Divas' still there, or has it been rebranded?

ReputationRep:
    Is 'Divas' still there, or has it been rebranded?
    Still there! JC's has been taken over by the SU now too.

ReputationRep:
    Is JC's still all 'mock tudor'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    No, 11 in the morning is too early.
    I just hope the nice people who "make" the timetable wont give me 9am lectures this year, because it means that I have to get up at 7am to get to Swansea on time!!

ReputationRep:
    Is JC's still all 'mock tudor'?
    what do you mean??

I've only been in there a few times to be honest....

ReputationRep:
    I just hope the nice people who "make" the timetable wont give me 9am lectures this year, because it means that I have to get up at 7am to get to Swansea on time!!
    You don't pick your own classes/times? You're old enough da*n it!! :eek:
    7? That's crazy. That's when I went to bed last night...or should i say this morning.
    I actually had an 8 o' clock class twice a week which I was on time for because she took attendance.

Then I had class at 11 the rest and I hardly showed up....had to photocopy notes from a classmate b4 the final.

ReputationRep:
    I went to swansea as well and probably went to about 80% of the lectures. Some I didnt go to because they were badly taught and some just because of the timing, I used to have one lecture on a friday afternoon at 5pm and sometimes it was just too tempting to go back home and see friends for the weekend that one day early.

Going back to uni this year and hope i am a little more disciplined and will attempt to go to all lectures.

ReputationRep:
    I tried to go to them, but six 9am lectures a week is hard! There was a week when I didn't go to any, and I think I went to around 10% of my maths and physics lectures. Can't miss some pracs as they count towards final mark for the year, and can't miss supervisions or you get in big trouble.

Estimate I probably went to around 60-70% of lectures in total, perhaps less. Still got a 2i but it doesn't count to final degree.

ReputationRep:
    7? That's crazy. That's when I went to bed last night...or should i say this morning.
    I actually had an 8 o' clock class twice a week which I was on time for because she took attendance.

Then I had class at 11 the rest and I hardly showed up....had to photocopy notes from a classmate b4 the final.
    The uni sets the lectures, and you choose your own courses from a selection. But they don't change the lecture times. At Cambridge they're fixed every year. So if you're a natsci who want to take Physics and Maths, you get six 9ams a week.

ReputationRep:

No, the lecturers only lecture a lecture once, we don’t have repeats (in the Politics department anyway) neither do we have reading weeks!

I’m not too sure how the third year works though. The classes are going to be quite small in number, as they cap 3rd year modules, so they may be taught in seminar style classes rather than lectures.

Some lecturers (and one in particular) give notes (one of them gives pages and pages of notes) others don’t. The thinking behind that is a) if they give out notes, people wont bother turning up to lectures and b) they’ll spend the lecture reading the notes rather than listening to them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    I tried to go to them, but six 9am lectures a week is hard! There was a week when I didn't go to any, and I think I went to around 10% of my maths and physics lectures. Can't miss some pracs as they count towards final mark for the year, and can't miss supervisions or you get in big trouble.

Estimate I probably went to around 60-70% of lectures in total, perhaps less. Still got a 2i but it doesn't count to final degree.
    How do you manage six 9am lectures in a 5 day week? Do they lecture on Saturdays??

ReputationRep:
    Does Swansea still have 8.30am lectures?

ReputationRep:
    Does Swansea still have 8.30am lectures?
    No, they start at 9am now, last one is 5pm-6pm.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.