Driving Schools Watch

This discussion is closed.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I just got my provisional last week, and I am looking around for driving schools. Does anyone know how much BSM charge per hour, and whether it is worth going with any particular National driving school or private ones? I've had a look at the AA school and they seem to be quite good...
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
I just got my provisional last week, and I am looking around for driving schools. Does anyone know how much BSM charge per hour, and whether it is worth going with any particular National driving school or private ones? I've had a look at the AA school and they seem to be quite good...
Go private, its cheaper...
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Go with a private instructor its loads cheaper and more often than not the tuition standard is better. Ask around at school to see which local instructors are most popular.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I'll phone up a few people and see what they've done... although the national ones would give u simulator training - is that helpful at all, or is it not worth bothering about...

What kind of prices do private driving schools charge, if the average I've seen so far are about 20/21 pounds per hr?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
I'll phone up a few people and see what they've done... although the national ones would give u simulator training - is that helpful at all, or is it not worth bothering about...

What kind of prices do private driving schools charge, if the average I've seen so far are about 20/21 pounds per hr?
Simulator training, HAH! waste of time, might as well buy colin McRae rally
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My lessons were £15 and that was only a year ago. Seriously ring round every instructor in the yellow pages in your area. The prices vary tons.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
As others have said here BSM and the other well known companies such as AA charge the earth and the standard of tution is often not as good as private people.
Squirrel
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Talk to friends who live near you about how good their instructors are and how much they charge.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
I started with Acclaim and failed 4 times so switched to BSM and passed in a couple of months, they did charge a ridiculous amount though. Some places do special student deals, so its worth asking about that, I'd also recommend having more than an hour if its possible, I found that with only having an hour when I was with Acclaim it wasn't long enough to do much, by the time I'd driven to Loughborough (where I was going to take my test) I didn't have time to do much else before I had to drive back again, so I didn't get as much practice driving round the test routes as i would have liked
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Get your parents to teach you! At least some practise so it gives you extra time to practise with the car
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i was with BSM bloody expensive - £42/2 hours. Had 40 hours. Failled my test twice (still not passed) for stupid things, eg parking too far away from the kurb, which my driving instructor never picked up on.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
My dad taught me free!! one of my favourite prices.
And I can drive well too.. plus once the time came for me to drive around on my own, particularly on the motorway, he was comfortable for me to use his (and my mum's) car. Woohoo

oh sorry, I meant to also say - if that's not possible, the simulator I don't think is worht going with somewhere like bsm for. Private people are far better (or so i've heard) and cheaper..
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.26%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (164)
40.49%
Nope, not that interesting (163)
40.25%

Watched Threads