This discussion is closed.
big_red
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just wondering whats the difference between say an undergraduate MSc in Physics and a Mphys, or a BA nad a BSc in the same subject.

Hey first post! Go easy!
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just wondering whether this would recieve better coverage in teh sub forum marked "University..."
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this should be in the uni subforum. BA is arts BSc is science there isnt any difference in classification. a BA first is just as good as a BSc first.
big_red
ok i put it there...sorry
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by big_red)
ok i put it there...sorry
thats better
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, the m in MSc signifies master of science (usually 4 years)

the b in BSc is bachealour of science(3 years)

im not sure of the difference in MSc in physics and a MPhy

a BA is bachelour of arts.

BEng is bachelour in engineering etc
big_red
I was sorta explicitly refering to the first example, MSc in Physics vs Mphys Physics. Any clues??? Are they equal degrees with different titles, I think there id also an MSc Maths vs MMath Maths analogy.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
An MSc isn't an undergraduate degree, it's a one year postgraduate course.

If you mean the difference between MSci and MPhys for example, there isn't any really, just the name.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah they're all the same, although certain uni's like Oxford and Cambridge offer BAs only across the board - they don't have distinctions between BA or BSc.

oh, and apparently ur BA gets automatically upgraded to MA 3 yrs after graduating from Oxbridge with no further work, as long as you pay 10 quid for certificate costs and P&P.
Seer
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
yeah they're all the same, although certain uni's like Oxford and Cambridge offer BAs only across the board - they don't have distinctions between BA or BSc.

oh, and apparently ur BA gets automatically upgraded to MA 3 yrs after graduating from Oxbridge with no further work, as long as you pay 10 quid for certificate costs and P&P.
Yeah, anyone wanna tell me why that's allowed? It makes a mockery of everyone else's MAs
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
Yeah, anyone wanna tell me why that's allowed? It makes a mockery of everyone else's MAs
But that's why Oxbridge don't do MAs apart from in that instance.
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Seer)
An actual Masters degree from Oxford or Cambridge is a MPhil. People know that a MA (Oxon) or MA (Cantab) is just a regular degree.
way2go
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
What is the purpose of this?
janon
Report 16 years ago
MA = master of arts, makes sense. why should the majority be stuck with an obscure abreviation just because Oxford and Cambridge feel the need to be different and non-conformist, thereby further elevating their already wrongly inflated egos, and belief in their own superiority, which is based entirely on fiction.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (30)
7.77%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (33)
8.55%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (86)
22.28%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (50)
12.95%
No, nothing has changed (117)
30.31%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (70)
18.13%

Watched Threads