The Student Room Group

Organ Donation

Hi everyone. Just wondering what your views of organ donation is? Thinking of signing up to become a donor. That advert where the boy is watching tv with his mum and she turns away and when she looks back at him he looks like he's dying kinda gave me a kick up the bum to sign up. Knew someone who died too and their mum allowed her organs to be used and it saved so many lives.

If you don't want to become a donor why not and if you do why? Sorry for going on lol And here's a link if you fancy having a look about becoming a donor :smile:

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im a Sikh and after looking into organ donation decided to sign up to be a donor. I found out that my religion teaches me that the body is just flesh and that emphasis is places on selfless acts (to save another life) and so decided to donate my kidney's, liver and heart. The thought of knowing that it may one day save someone's life is the reason i chose to become a donor.
Reply 2
There's been a lot of threads on this recently. Anyway, I personally haven't signed up.
Reply 3
Personally, I have a very low opinion of people who object to donating their organs after they die. It is like, how selfish and greedy can someone be?
Reply 4
Yeah.
Well, my way of looking at it, when I'm dead, I'm dead. xD I won't need my organs any more, so I should give 'em to someone else who can stay alive for a few more years.
And I would be all "eww but they're my eyes/corneas in someone else" but, I'll be dead, so, won't care, even if at the moment I find it a bit weird.

Bit blunt or whatever, but eh. :P
Meh... I'm on the list.

What use I have got with my bits after I've kicked the bucket?
I'm on the list and told my parents that what ever can be used, should be.

I just think it's awful to take your organs to the grave when you can't use them, and they can benefit someone else.
Although... I wouldn't want to leave my body for scientific research, I don't know why but I don't want medical students cutting me up to 'have a look'.
Reply 7
I'm on the list as of the last 3 weeks or so. I'd never thought about it so I put me registering down to the effectiveness of the latest ad campaign.
Reply 8
I signed up last week. I think anyone who would accept and organ should.
Reply 9
Roobagnall

Although... I wouldn't want to leave my body for scientific research, I don't know why but I don't want medical students cutting me up to 'have a look'.

I was of the opinion that its one in the same, if you're down for organ donation then there's a chance you could be used by students. But not 100% on that..
Reply 10
ANOTHER one of these threads? Yes I'm a donor.
Reply 11
hmmm I wouldn't mind signing up as well.....
All usable organs should be taken regardless of the person/family's wishes.

At the very least we should have an opt out system.
i dont want to because they are my organs

selfish? yes
do i care? no
Reply 14
Yes I am on the organ donor list, also on the bone marrow and blood donor list too. When I am dead they can take whatever they want and give it to whoever needs it.
Reply 15
I signed up yesterday night after seeing the ad too. I think the only thing stopping me before was that I thought it would take a long process but it was actually really simple so that was okay.
I dont know what my religion says about it but im a Hindu so im going to be cremated anyways so if I have some healthy organs left when I die then ofcourse I am happy for them to be used to save somebody elses life.
Plus there is a sever shortage of asian organs apparantly, so I did my bit =) Also want to give blood but kinda scared about all that blood being taken which causes light headedness, fainting etc
Reply 16
wouldnt accept one, wouldnt give one
No, I might in a few years, but right now I'm not comfortable with the idea - I don't like to think about dying at all!

Also not keen on the idea that I don't know if they would be used to save lives or to be cut up by students. Some may say that either is a good thing, but I hated even cutting up a sheep's eye in biology, so don't fancy the idea of myself strapped naked to a table and being cut to pieces.

Judge if you wish, it won't make a difference to me. I donate blood, which is perhaps a small thumbs up.
Reply 18
tinktinktinkerbell
i dont want to because they are my organs

selfish? yes
do i care? no

So if one day you are in need of a life saving organ transplant, you will not be accepting it?
Reply 19
CKin2U
I signed up yesterday night after seeing the ad too. I think the only thing stopping me before was that I thought it would take a long process but it was actually really simple so that was okay.
I dont know what my religion says about it but im a Hindu so im going to be cremated anyways so if I have some healthy organs left when I die then ofcourse I am happy for them to be used to save somebody elses life.
Plus there is a sever shortage of asian organs apparantly, so I did my bit =) Also want to give blood but kinda scared about all that blood being taken which causes light headedness, fainting etc

That's great :smile: I heard about the shortage of asian donors aswell. Oh I'm scared about giving blood too. I faint at giving a tiny sample at the drs so don't see how I can handle giving more than that! The needles don't bother me (I am a student nurse after all) but my body just can't handle it!

Latest

Trending

Trending