The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Be talented at football cos real talk if your not AT LEAST in a League 1 academy by now it just aint happening
There were a couple of kids signed with premiership clubs at my brother's primary school. They played in local youth teams and were scouted there. Mind you, one of them was Alex Ferguson's grandson :rolleyes:
Reply 3
You go to their open day/summer school events and if you show promise, you're invited to the Academy. Other ways are local/school teams, that have a high status.
Danny Wellbeck is so ****.
Reply 5
Revolution is my Name
Danny Wellbeck is so ****.

And you play for who? :indiff:
Reply 6
Ok kool, thanks guys!
Reply 7
Be good at football and play lots of Saturday/Sunday league games as well as playing for your school.

Generally if you aren't in an academy by 12 at an absolute push you are never going to make it.
Reply 8
You can audition for the F-Factor from the end of April.
Reply 9
Generally scouts will go to watch the best teams in local leagues play or big games i.e cup finals, county games and make note of the good players. You probably won't know you are being watched usually, so you don't have the added pressure. I got scouted for Newcastle when I was about 14, so you don't always have to be snapped up straight away although it does help.
Generally you'll have to attend summer schools and open training sessions, which can carry quite hefty fees in themselves - I know this as I know a young lad quite well who has had a couple of Arsenal trials (he's 10 this year) but wants to sign for Yeovil Town. If he does make it, then look out for a young lad called Fred Parsons in the future. :fyi:
Reply 11
My mate got signed for Birmingham at 16, spotted playing for his sunday league team. He was only released last year, actually broke into the reserves but they said he wasn't good enough.
Kevmeister
And you play for who? :indiff:

I don't see what bearing that has on being able to criticise Wellbeck for being a sub-par Premiership footballer.
Revolution is my Name
I don't see what bearing that has on being able to criticise Wellbeck for being a sub-par Premiership footballer.

You're a sub-par poster, critiquing a lad that is only 19 as sub-par for his division. I'm sure you know more than Alex Ferguson. :rolleyes:
Being a very good, outstanding and talented player. You don't necessarily have to go through the academies -though it will make it easier- and a lot of scouted boys won't make it, exspecially when they joined at a very young age.
Kevmeister
You're a sub-par poster, critiquing a lad that is only 19 as sub-par for his division. I'm sure you know more than Alex Ferguson. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because Ferguson always gets it right? I'm sure Eric Djemba-Djemba can confirm that...
Revolution is my Name
Yeah, because Ferguson always gets it right? I'm sure Eric Djemba-Djemba can confirm that...

So, you're admitting it was wrong to criticise a lad that is only 19? Good, glad we got that sorted. I never said Fergie always gets it right, did I? I said I was sure that you know more than him, and now I've realized that you do, and I bow to thee, oh football deity. :adore:
Reply 17
Hire an agent to whore you around clubs.

I'll do it for a good fee.
Reply 18
Be good at football.

Play for a club and get spotted.

Go along to open trials.
Reply 19
I don't know why people are saying 'summer schools' etc. Most kids get picked up from a very early age (~11-12) playing junior sunday league or for their school. An academy standard player will be miles better than anyone else on the pitch. Also, generally, if you're not picked up by the time you're 14/15 and you've been active in football you're probably not good enough.

Latest