The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

chemistry: Bristol vs Bath

So, I want to ask a few questions about Bristol university, because I have a little problem deciding which uni to choose. I want to study chemistry and I know that officialy is Bristol the best uni for it. I have been to the open days for Bristol and for Bath and I liked more the campus of Bath, but I was told that in second year you have to leave the campus anyway. I want to go to Bristol, probably...but there are some things I do not know about, so:

- How is it with being a member of a sport team? I play basketball, but I would like to try rugby (I am from Slovakia and I have never played rugby, I have just recently became a fan of it, based on watching 6 nations:biggrin:). Is there any female team, which I could join? Do I have to pay for it? Is Bristol good for playing sports (I do not mean good in league, just if it is nice to be a member of team over there).

- How difficult is it to get a scholarship? Do you have to apply for it?

- Can you easily find a job? Is it possible to work directly at uni, in your department?

- Are the students "proud" and happy to be there?

Okay, so those are the questions I can think of now, I am sure I will find some more just after I post this:biggrin: Anyway, if somebody could answer them it would be great, thanks :wink:
Reply 1
You can find some information on the sports teams and societies here: http://www.ubu.org.uk/sport#2

Womens Rugby is on there I believe!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I'm doing chemistry at Bristol, and I did consider going to Bath. I liked the campus at Bath and the department was good, but in the end I picked Bristol because the department was better and the city seemed more involved and exciting. And I'm glad to be here, bristol is a great city and the department is brilliant - we're all proud to be here and loving student life.

We've got womens rugby and basketball along with tons of other clubs - how much it costs to play depends on the sport and level but it won't be free. As well as the main university club there's often informal sports teams set up in your halls or department so there'll be a team at your skill level.

Scholarships depend on your grades and family income (if you're a UK citizen). It's a bit more complicated for international students - have a look on http://www.bristol.ac.uk/studentfunding/

Jobs are available, there aren't any in the chemistry department but you can get them in places like the sports centre. Lots of local businesses employ students at the weekends.

Hope that helps!
Reply 3
Preasure
I'm doing chemistry at Bristol, and I did consider going to Bath. I liked the campus at Bath and the department was good, but in the end I picked Bristol because the department was better and the city seemed more involved and exciting. And I'm glad to be here, bristol is a great city and the department is brilliant - we're all proud to be here and loving student life.

We've got womens rugby and basketball along with tons of other clubs - how much it costs to play depends on the sport and level but it won't be free. As well as the main university club there's often informal sports teams set up in your halls or department so there'll be a team at your skill level.

Scholarships depend on your grades and family income (if you're a UK citizen). It's a bit more complicated for international students - have a look on http://www.bristol.ac.uk/studentfunding/

Jobs are available, there aren't any in the chemistry department but you can get them in places like the sports centre. Lots of local businesses employ students at the weekends.

Hope that helps!

I am also considering Bath mainly because the campus. But they said you have to leave after first year. And I really like Bristol, though I have been there only twice or so...
And thank you for the reply :smile:
anka16
So, I want to ask a few questions about Bristol university, because I have a little problem deciding which uni to choose. I want to study chemistry and I know that officialy is Bristol the best uni for it. I have been to the open days for Bristol and for Bath and I liked more the campus of Bath, but I was told that in second year you have to leave the campus anyway. I want to go to Bristol, probably...but there are some things I do not know about, so:

- How is it with being a member of a sport team? I play basketball, but I would like to try rugby (I am from Slovakia and I have never played rugby, I have just recently became a fan of it, based on watching 6 nations:biggrin:). Is there any female team, which I could join? Do I have to pay for it? Is Bristol good for playing sports (I do not mean good in league, just if it is nice to be a member of team over there).

- How difficult is it to get a scholarship? Do you have to apply for it?

- Can you easily find a job? Is it possible to work directly at uni, in your department?

- Are the students "proud" and happy to be there?

Okay, so those are the questions I can think of now, I am sure I will find some more just after I post this:biggrin: Anyway, if somebody could answer them it would be great, thanks :wink:

There is a women's rugby team and they absolutely except players who have never played before as long as you are keen to put some effort in! It costs £30 to join the athletic union at Bristol, but I think after that you don't have to pay to join any clubs. The most expensive cost would be going to the gym if you wanted to go there to exercise, I believe it costs around £460 for full use of all gym and sports facilities at Bristol for 3 years.

As long as you are motivated and come here a few weeks before term starts, you should have no problem finding a job. Might not be your ideal place to work but you can definately find somewhere! Working at uni or in your department, as far as I know, doesn't ever happen for undergraduates.

Everyone loves Bristol! Great atmosphere, great uni, great people, great city.
I can't decide between Bristol and Bath for Chemistry. My mum reckons Bath is better for me as its a campus and everything's in one place and since I'm partially sighted feels it would be safer all around. However when I visited Bristol it just felt "right" to me but my mum feels it would be unsafe for me due to the gang crime in bristol and therefore says she wouldn't support me well if i go to borstal. I feel really confused because I really liked bristol but my um says I should go to bath. What'd you all think? I need some advice please...!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending