The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

hey does anyone think its worth me buying University Physics with modern physics by H young and RD freedman, because its recommended for quite a few modules im taking, however i checked the price of it on amazon its about $124.00 or something 0_o about £90-£100 over here?
been recommened to buy Modern engineering mathematics by G james
and mathematical methods for physics and engineering by reily hobson and bence...but they're soo expensive even the used ones.:frown: on amazon. $50 for the former and $65 for the latter.
anyone got any of these books to sell for a cheaper price? :p:

EDIT: i found them in blackwells for £37 and £36.
Textbooks in America are often a lot more expensive than they are here. Books that are used in America have editions sold here that say things like "NOT FOR SALE IN AMERICA" (like this) just so they can charge a lot more to americans.

Don't you have access to a library that has the books available? You could just go and look up things you need if your notes or whatever don't make sense.

I have a copy of the Riley, Hobson and Bence book but that was useful to me because the whole first year NatSci Maths course seemed to be lifted from it.
Reply 322
.S.O.S.
hey does anyone think its worth me buying University Physics with modern physics by H young and RD freedman, because its recommended for quite a few modules im taking, however i checked the price of it on amazon its about $124.00 or something 0_o about £90-£100 over here?
been recommened to buy Modern engineering mathematics by G james
and mathematical methods for physics and engineering by reily hobson and bence...but they're soo expensive even the used ones.:frown: on amazon. $50 for the former and $65 for the latter.
anyone got any of these books to sell for a cheaper price? :p:

EDIT: i found them in blackwells for £37 and £36.

Be careful with Y&F. There's an American edition, and a UK edition.
Reply 323
The American university compendium texts are rubbish. Don't buy them. They're expensive, and most of the time they just don't have the detail beyond your lectures. You're better off using dedicated books specific to each topic you study, and you really shouldn't have to buy that many if you have a good library on hand.

If you do buy some (I bought a couple of the core texts in my 1st year for things like mechanics and maths), then go to Amazon Used or Abebooks - they're well cheap 2nd hand, and usually in good condition (people, in general, keep their physics textbook on a shelf for 99% of its life!)
Reply 324
Worzo
(people, in general, keep their physics textbook on a shelf for 99% of its life!)

That's possibly the last place my Y&F is to be found. Being by far and away the biggest book I own, it's usually either a doorstop, being used as a stand, or to prop something up :biggrin:
Physicists also smile when we see rainbows, but our emotional reaction is doubled by our understanding of the deep physics relating to the prismatic effects of raindrops. Similarly, physicists appreciate sunsets more than anybody else, because we can enjoy the myriad colours and at the same time grasp the nuclear physics that created the energy that created the photons that travelled for millions of years to the surface of the Sun, which then travelled eight minutes through space to Earth, which were then scattered by the atmosphere to create the colourful sunset. Understanding physics only enhances the beauty of nature.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,3605,1647948,00.html
'Keats claimed that physics destroyed beauty. Keats was being a prat.'

Its an article on why people should take physics i guess.

I think to get more people to take physics, we also have to get ride of the stereotypical image of the geek aswell as the preceptive difficulty.
http://www.haverford.edu/physics-astro/songs/

physics songs loooooooooooool :p:you can actually listen to some of them.

here is a taster:

Free electrons of course have ability
To move to and fro with agility
But despite being swift
If there's no net drift
It's a clear exercise in futility

Yet all of this random activity
Gives a metal a special proclivity
To amperes provide
When volts are applied
With a property called conductivity

So a fellow named Ohm with felicity
Dreamed up a law of great simplicity
V equals I R
Is what made Ohm a star
It's the basic law of electricity
Reply 327
I object to that article, though I can't figure out why.

I know why I object to this though:
2. You're in the back of a stationary car with a helium balloon. When the car accelerates, which way does the balloon move?
a) Forwards b) Backwards c) Up d) It doesn't move

My answer: e) You haven't told us which direction the car is accelerating in!
Princess Ana

i think when it says forwards it means in the direction of the motion of the car.
:smile:
Reply 329
.S.O.S.
i think when it says forwards it means in the direction of the motion of the car.
:smile:

Hmmm. What if the car had fallen off a cliff and is accelerating downwards?
Princess Ana
Hmmm. What if the car had fallen off a cliff and is accelerating downwards?

hmmm. good point.:smile:
Reply 331
Princess Ana

If you are holding the ballon then it isn't going to move at all with repect to you. Also from what frame of reference are we looking at it's motion with respect to anyway?

The question is horribly ambiguous.
jpowell
If you are holding the ballon then it isn't going to move at all with repect to you. Also from what frame of reference are we looking at it's motion with respect to anyway?

The question is horribly ambiguous.

I think its just ment for young kids/people without such a scientific background, so if they manage a few questions right it would encourange them to further investigate what physics is about.
Reply 333
Well yes maybe. It could have still done with a quick explanation of why each correct answer was actually correct.
Hi. I havent done any Physics since GCSE and I wanted to ask if anyone could suggest which books I should read before looking at the more challenging "A Brief History of Time" by Hawking books. I'm not doing A- Level Physics, its just for interest.
I found a book called "Advanced Physics for You"- I havent bought it yet. Is this good? Could anyone suggest anymore?
Thanks
frank_drebin
Hi. I havent done any Physics since GCSE and I wanted to ask if anyone could suggest which books I should read before looking at the more challenging "A Brief History of Time" by Hawking books. I'm not doing A- Level Physics, its just for interest.
I found a book called "Advanced Physics for You"- I havent bought it yet. Is this good? Could anyone suggest anymore?
Thanks

Hey, well I suggest going for the pop science type of books ("Advanced physics for you" is an A-level textbook btw - probably a bit on the boring side). Perhaps try something like "six easy pieces" or "In Search of Schrodingers Cat". If you have a look at the "recommended physics reading" thread stickied in this forum you may be able to find something at the right level for you.

In theory, any pop science book that you find in a book shop like WH Smiths (I argue its status as a book shop but there we go) should be readable, as they are supposedly written with the layman in mind. Of course, some are more advanced than others. Even "A Brief History of Time" is understandable to you I expect. There is only one equation in it and it is the ideas which are complex rather than any maths or highly advanced physics.
F1 fanatic

Hey, well I suggest going for the pop science type of books ("Advanced physics for you" is an A-level textbook btw - probably a bit on the boring side). Perhaps try something like "six easy pieces" or "In Search of Schrodingers Cat". If you have a look at the "recommended physics reading" thread stickied in this forum you may be able to find something at the right level for you.

In theory, any pop science book that you find in a book shop like WH Smiths (I argue its status as a book shop but there we go) should be readable, as they are supposedly written with the layman in mind. Of course, some are more advanced than others. Even "A Brief History of Time" is understandable to you I expect. There is only one equation in it and it is the ideas which are complex rather than any maths or highly advanced physics.

Hi. Thanks, Ill check those out
*sigh* I never imagined uni involved so much work :smile:, and my worst nightmares come true (maybe) I don't like they way they stucture the questions, at least the math ones. and my lecturers are like 'up themselves', (definatly our year tutor who i have for math lectures wonderful(!) - am i allowed to say that?
.S.O.S.
*sigh* I never imagined uni involved so much work :smile:, and my worst nightmares come true (maybe) I don't like they way they stucture the questions, at least the math ones. and my lecturers are like 'up themselves', (definatly our year tutor who i have for math lectures wonderful(!) - am i allowed to say that?

Which uni is that? It's still freshers week for me but I have found my physics tutors to be quite friendly (if a little odd).
.S.O.S.

Well, its going to be different from A-level. They tend to be much more ambiguous but you do get used to them and see a pattern after a while. Don't judge it all just yet. Some people take a while to adjust to, and the simple fact is that most of these lecturers do actually know a lot and can therefore happily act like they do. I'm sure after a while you'll get used to it :smile:

The Strangest Quark
but I have found my physics tutors to be quite friendly (if a little odd)

Of course they're odd... they tutor physics. What did you expect? :p: I swear some live in their own little world.

Quick Reply

Latest