The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

funkypish
Thanks :smile: yea we have two recommended texts for quantum but one is really similar to our lecture notes and im looking for a different point of view, and the other one just gives you a load of formulae without explaining where they came from or anything

What are the titles?
Any recomendations on an excellent book for electronics in physics? pleaseeeee, :frown: my lecturer and his notes are useless and i've tried books in the library but they seem more aimed for engineers. thanks.
Bluefairy
Any recomendations on an excellent book for electronics in physics? pleaseeeee, :frown: my lecturer and his notes are useless and i've tried books in the library but they seem more aimed for engineers. thanks.

I would say that most EM texts cover a small amount of circuit theory if that's the type of electronics you mean. You're right though, it isn't extensively covered. The recommended texts for our course were:

"Electronics Circuits, Amplifiers and Gates" by Bugg and "Basic Electronics for Scientists" by Brophy. I've no idea if either are any good though. I didnt use them.
Any astronomers out there? :smile:
Reply 584
Am I welcome here, because I share your love for Physics ^^
(i hope not to have to face some racist who can't bear french people...even after the rugby world championship and this gift from France to England... i'm kidding, i've watched the match with an English guy, lots of fair play. See you on this forum>>)
Alexandre.
Jasmine*
Am I welcome here, because I share your love for Physics ^^
(i hope not to have to face some racist who can't bear french people...even after the rugby world championship and this gift from France to England... i'm kidding, i've watched the match with an English guy, lots of fair play. See you on this forum>>)
Alexandre.

of course you're welcome :p:
NDGAARONDI
Any astronomers out there? :smile:

Got an MSc in Astronomy, does that count?
teachercol
Got an MSc in Astronomy, does that count?

Naturally. Did want to do Cambridge's certificate of higher education in astronomy but it finishes too late and rather a lot to travel by train (3 hours or more).
Got mine from Sussex Uni back in the day when Roger Tayler and Leon Mestel were running the dept.
thanks F1, but i bought the book my lecturer recommended (unless tis, ah well, sigh, just dont have the gift for electronics).

I want to share my anger here, there are absolutely no student work(research related)/internships for 2nd year physics students, ridiculous, right im off. goodbye.
Reply 590
2nd year Physics student?
:wink: Great, good choice !!! :smile:
Reply 591
Here's a question:

If you were in a room, which had no walls or windows, and you couldn't see the outside world at all. Then this room was spun around in circles horizontally, you would feel a centripetal force, but would you get dizzy?
PHamnett
Here's a question:

If you were in a room, which had no walls or windows, and you couldn't see the outside world at all. Then this room was spun around in circles horizontally, you would feel a centripetal force, but would you get dizzy?

A room with no walls? how does that work?
:roflmao
Reply 594
PHamnett
Here's a question:

Non sequitur aside:-

The inner ears have two fluid filled chambers with hairs that detect the movement of the fluid by the motion of water across them and thus cue the brain to motion.

Being as the brain also uses visual cues to determine your orientation and direction of motion, and knowing from experience that not being able to determine your direction of motion visually makes you more likely to be dizzy, I'd say yes you'd get dizzy, but possibly less so, if you stood in the centre of this impossible room. I would suggest this would minimise the differences between both ears thus making your orientation, movement and direction of motion easier for your noggin to work out. God I'm bored :biggrin:

On second thoughts: yes you would become dizzy because the brain worms in your ears don't like being shaken and would crawl down your aural canal and into your stomach and lay eggs, and everyone knows this makes you dizzy and nauseous. This would also make you more susceptible to attack by ear wigs - the natural enemies of brain worms - Which could then burrow into your brain causing you to lose 90% of your cognitive brain function, leaving you a cabbage or with the same mental aptitude as a creationist or five contestants in the Big Brother house.
If you ride Mission Space at DisneyWorld you'll know the answer. If you keep your head still, you cant tell that you are moving in a circle. if you move your head sideways, you can sense the Coriolis force - and you cen get dizzy.

They take great care to keep peoples heads still and attention focusedd on a screen in front.

First time I went on it, I'd estimate acceleration at around 2-3g sustained. Last time it was much tamer 1-2g maybe. A lot of people threw up....
Reply 596
Any religious Physicists on here? (hope i spelt that right:s-smilie:)
Can I join this soc?
Reply 598
Rei
Any religious Physicists on here? (hope i spelt that right:s-smilie:)

Well I'm pretty serious about Physics. But I would hardly call it my religion :P.
Reply 599
Citrus Lemon
Can I join this soc?

You can ask here.

Click on the right hand side of the physics society Join this soc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=list&page=9

You might have to wait a bit 'til someone gets round to processing it.

jpowell
Well I'm pretty serious about Physics. But I would hardly call it my religion :P.

Hint :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest