Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Physics Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getoom)
    forever, really?
    Their expected lifetime is older than the age of the universe. Not forever obviously, but a long time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought about to deduce the damped oscillation for weeks. As far as I see I have to use the integral calculus at the end to get the formula for spring pendulum. Is there an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    I have a question in terms of frequency: is a harmonic always higher than fundamental oscillation? that makes sense in my view, because harmonics have always more wavelengths than fundamental oscillations. So harmonics must have a higher frequency. The more the higher. Am I right?
    Think of a standing wave on a string, confined at each end. The amplitude must be zero at each end and so the fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency you can have (with wavelength twice the length of the string). A Harmonic is then some multiple of the fundamental frequency.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Think of a standing wave on a string, confined at each end. The amplitude must be zero at each end and so the fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency you can have (with wavelength twice the length of the string). A Harmonic is then some multiple of the fundamental frequency.
    Thanks ofr answer. you are helpful. And now I want just to know if there is an alternative deduction to the damped oscillation. In my considerations, I have used a differential calculus and the integral calculus to get the formula for spring pendulum. But its too complicated in my view. Moreover the evidence for Euler's number is too implausible. What is the best way to get the formula for damped oscillation in a spring pendulum?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ofr answer. you are helpful. And now I want just to know if there is an alternative deduction to the damped oscillation. In my considerations, I have used a differential calculus and the integral calculus to get the formula for spring pendulum. But its too complicated in my view. Moreover the evidence for Euler's number is too implausible. What is the best way to get the formula for damped oscillation in a spring pendulum?
    As far as I can remember you can't do it mathematically without some reference to calculus. It's a second order differential equation, which is fairly standard to solve, usually be assuming a form for the solution, inserting it into the equation and then determining the constants.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (...) and then determining the constants.
    What did you mean? damping constant? Euler's number? As far as I know the damping constant is important to distinguish between three oscillators: overdamped case, critical damping and underdamped case.

ReputationRep:
    What did you mean? damping constant? Euler's number? As far as I know the damping constant is important to distinguish between three oscillators: overdamped case, critical damping and underdamped case.
    See if you can follow this http://www.haverford.edu/physics-ast...s/misc/dho.pdf
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    See if you can follow this http://www.haverford.edu/physics-ast...s/misc/dho.pdf
    Thanks for link. As like I have to use differential and integral calculus to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for link. As like I have to use differential and integral calculus to get it.
    Differentiation yes, integration no. Calculus is by far the easiest way of deriving it, as far as I know. You best get used to it, should you do a physics degree you will spend your life solving differential equations. :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought about the spring pendulum. Displacement and amplitude s0 to be exactly. In my consideration the spring pendulum forces both gravitation and resilience. So this is my equation:
    Fg = Fr
    m*g = D*s => s = m*g / D.
    That would be the displacement of the spring pendulum.

To calculate the amplitude s0, I thought about the potential relationships. In my consideration the total energy is the same to all kinds of moments in terms of the displacement of the spring pendulum:
    E = m*v².

In my view the velocity v is the maximum one, vm. The maximum velocity can be calculate by the maximum displacement sm which is equal to the displacement s at the beginning and the circuit frequency, omega:
    vm = s*omega; omega = 2*pi/T

So, the calculation of total energy is: E = m*(s*2*pi/T)². And when I get the total energy, I'm able to calculate the amplitude s0 which kinetic energy is 0 (due to the moment t = 0). In my consideration the total energy consists of elongation. That's why my equation is:
    E = 1/2*D*s0² => s0 = square root of 2*E/D

But if I'm consider the amplitude s0 is the maximum one, and the maximum is the displacement at the beginning, my calculation for displacement must be equivalent to the calculation for maximum amplitude:
    s = s0 = m*g/D = square root of 2*E/D.

Am I right with all my considerations?

ReputationRep:

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."
    Thanks Boz. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dknt)
    thanks boz. :awesome:
    brudahhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Hey, can I join this society please?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naadirah21)
    Hey, can I join this society please?

Click HERE and join
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have a question in terms of displacement. Is the maximum displacement the way which deflect the distance of a spring pendulum when the weight will be add to the one? Then this is my formula for maximum displacement:
    sm = s = m*g /D.

Here are some explanations, if you are confuse:

sm: maximum displacement
    s: displacement
    m: mass (of the weight)
    g: gravity (9,8 N)
    D: spring rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    Click HERE and join
    I can't seem to find the option to join... Whereabouts is it on the page?

ReputationRep:

Should be top right in an orange box.

ReputationRep:

What the above poster said

ReputationRep:
    I'm already a member of TSR, I have an account etc... The orange box says 'sign up for free'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 26, 2018

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.