The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

Is it too late to ask you what did you like most of all in astro and quantum physics? can you tell something about these, especially in astro physics, as my knowledge in it is moderate in comparison to another fields of physics.
Reply 1123
Original post by Kallisto
Is it too late to ask you what did you like most of all in astro and quantum physics? can you tell something about these, especially in astro physics, as my knowledge in it is moderate in comparison to another fields of physics.

In astrophysics, I really like exoplanets. Looking forward for the JWST :excited: maybe it'll be able to detect signs of life! :dontknow:

Quantum physics is just weird. It makes me feel tingly when there's something strange we can't explain. It's exciting. It means there's either a new discovery on the way, or there's something wrong about modern physics, both of which would be groundbreaking :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys! :biggrin:
I'm doing my AS levels right now, but after I finish high school, I'd really like to study sth pertaining to physics. Like more specifically, I want to be a professor of physics. I'm not completely aware of all the branches of physics, but do you guys have any recommendations? Like what stream do you think is the least popular? So far from what I've studied, I enjoy studying about waves, their properties and behaviour, as well as quantum physics (we've learned about particle theory of light). I do not like electricity much tho. I also like the mechanics part of physics. Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1125
Original post by Droneon
Hi guys! :biggrin:
I'm doing my AS levels right now, but after I finish high school, I'd really like to study sth pertaining to physics. Like more specifically, I want to be a professor of physics. I'm not completely aware of all the branches of physics, but do you guys have any recommendations? Like what stream do you think is the least popular? So far from what I've studied, I enjoy studying about waves, their properties and behaviour, as well as quantum physics (we've learned about particle theory of light). I do not like electricity much tho. I also like the mechanics part of physics. Thanks in advance for your help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

QED, QCD, and QFT maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
QED, QCD, and QFT maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1127
Original post by Droneon
What are those?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are my crocs! :tongue: :wink:

Quantum electrodynamics, quantum chromodynamics, and quantum field theory

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right. :biggrin: Those do sound interesting so I will surely check them out. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1129
Original post by Droneon
Oh right. :biggrin: Those do sound interesting so I will surely check them out. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Np :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, long time no write to you. Sorry, but had no time last days ago.

Surely a stupid question about quantum chromodynamics, but I wonder how the color charges comes into being. Are there certain processes to color these subatomic particles (quarks and gluons) to get to know the interactions of them?
Reply 1131
Hi, long time no write to you. Sorry, but had no time last days ago.

Surely a stupid question about quantum chromodynamics, but I wonder how the color charges comes into being. Are there certain processes to color these subatomic particles (quarks and gluons) to get to know the interactions of them?

I have no idea! Will have to research :smile:

:borat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
I have no idea! Will have to research :smile:

:borat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? you have studied quantum chromodynamics, but you are not able to answer this simple question asked by an outsider? give me the answer when you got it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1133
Really? you have studied quantum chromodynamics, but you are not able to answer this simple question asked by an outsider? give me the answer when you got it.

I haven't studied it, I have merely read a little bit about it :redface:

I believe the colour is just a natural property of a particle, such as charge and mass. Although I am not certain, I don't think anyone knows why quarks have certain colours

I have studied (a-level) quantum electrodynamics though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yoo this thread was started in 2005????!?!?!
Reply 1135
Original post by CorpusLuteum
Yoo this thread was started in 2005????!?!?!

Back when I was 7 :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyx
Back when I was 8 :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

BACK WHEN I WAS FIVE god knows what I was doing then...
Jheeeeeeeezeeeee
Reply 1137
Original post by CorpusLuteum
BACK WHEN I WAS FIVE god knows what I was doing then...
Jheeeeeeeezeeeee

Back then I wanted to be a biologist. Now I'm a physicist :redface:

Also, I was 7 not 8. The 7 and 8 are too close together in the keyboard :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyx
Back then I wanted to be a biologist. Now I'm a physicist :redface:

Also, I was 7 not 8. The 7 and 8 are too close together in the keyboard :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait, that means you're 19 right now. How are you such a young physicist? Or do you just say that cuz you love physics? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1139
Original post by Droneon
Wait, that means you're 19 right now. How are you such a young physicist? Or do you just say that cuz you love physics? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely :tongue:

I love physics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest