Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting at Winstanley College (Wigan) in September, and there's one thing that crossed my mind today. Some colleges like Runshaw near Preston give their students a "study day" sometime in the week. It's basically a day off, depending on if you're in your first year or your second.

Does anyone know if Winstanley does the same kind of thing? Or does it just depend on what periods you have? If thats the case, Im probably there every day, since I'm taking 5 AS levels :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of that :confused: I think at most schools and colleges you just have free periods.

ReputationRep:
    It could work if your an A2 student. They could make it so people had all free periods on one day and call it a study day, but I don't know the system so can't help.

ReputationRep:
    I - and most of the rest of my college - got Wednesday afternoons off. I think this is the norm is the South, because all the various college/sixth form sports teams seemed to be free to play each other.

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

I went to Runshaw College and got Tuesdays off in the first year and Wednesdays off in the second year. Plus lots of free periods in between.

If you are taking 5 AS Levels, chances are you will get less free periods than people only taking 4, because you will have to fit in around your 5th subject.

To be honest I don't know about Winstanley, but Runshaw students actually requested a study day because of the workload.

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form didn't schedule normal lessons on Monday mornings (except Key Skills/General Studies, but that doesn't count) or on Wednesday afternoons, but I did Latin - my fifth A level - in those periods. Other people did GCSEs or played sport, some just used them as free periods. You ought to have some free periods, but if you're doing five A levels, good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    We used to have "enrichment afternoon" on a wednesday. We had to take part in an activity such as playing a sport or instrument. They put a stop to it last year though.

ReputationRep:
    We had Enrichment on a Wednesday in the Lower, although I never did it as it clashed with Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairey87)
    We used to have "enrichment afternoon" on a wednesday. We had to take part in an activity such as playing a sport or instrument. They put a stop to it last year though.
    (Original post by Charlottie)
    We had Enrichment on a Wednesday in the Lower, although I never did it as it clashed with Further Maths.
    In my school, the lower sixth has an enrichment afternoon too from September to March. Some students don't even go, instead they go home instead or stay at school to do some work. The teachers didn't care.

I find the enrichement afternoon good though, as it takes a rest from academic stuff, and do the stuff you like to do.

We have activities like learning a language, canoeing, kayaking, golf, mentoring, gym, art, etc...

ReputationRep:
    strange...

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.