Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would approach the matter very delicately, when you are alone with the person, be forthright and honest, yet deflect the attention away from yourself, something along the lines of,

"Hey X, this is slightly awkward for me to bring up this topic of conversation and please dont be offended, but some people have been saying things about your body hygeine. personally i dont think its much of a problem, but you might want to wear extra perfume/deodorant, to make a point, just so that people dont say anything, you know how people talk, even if there isnt really a problem it gets blown out of proportion, you may have noticed that i always wear perfume as i'm quite self conscious about it as well."

ok that may not all be relevant to you so adapt it how you see fit, other people have made recommendations about incorporating it into a joke, personally i would find that either (a) offensive or (b) think that you were just joking so ignore it.

lol as I reread that i cant help but thnk it sounds sarcastic, however im sure that in a real life conversation situation, with the correct supportive tone of voice it should work fine. I woul also suggest that shortly after making the point you attempt to change the conversation to avoid any awkwardness that your friend may be feeling, and try not to act any differently (may be stating the obvious here, but all the same)

anyway hope it works out,

peace

ReputationRep:
    I'd get close to the person (not with other people around, to protect their feelings), then squint at them suspiciously and say 'Are you not wearing deodorant today?'

That implies to them that you've only just noticed the smell, and perhaps that they don't smell all the time, but they may get the message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by habosh)
    there is this thing you put on your feets like a powder,and before and after you wear your shoe wash them with soap,and when you take off your shoe don't put it in a closet of something like that,put it infront of the window or something,doing these three togather would work

i have powder I have practically every shoe product going deodorising spray and everything but they still smell.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends sometimes smells a bit..I just tend not to do anything because I always see her with body spray/deo/perfume around so I think she must know or at least be smell aware.

If it was much worse than it is, I only notice when I hug her, I would buy her a body spray gift set or something for her birthday to start and then maybe write her a note letting her no gently she might want to find a better deodrant.

Viviki - my feet smell when I've worn shoes without socks..even though I wash my feet loads and put shoe spray in my shoes! I'm gonna start putting talc on them or something. Only I notice the smell but still I don't like it!!

ReputationRep:
    this may sound stupid but I thought girls sweat less so don't have sweating problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    this may sound stupid but I thought girls sweat less so don't have sweating problems.
    I've seen some girls, not even necessarily overweight, sweat buckets in the gym, a lot more than most guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophdoph)
    One of my friends sometimes smells a bit..I just tend not to do anything because I always see her with body spray/deo/perfume around so I think she must know or at least be smell aware.

If it was much worse than it is, I only notice when I hug her, I would buy her a body spray gift set or something for her birthday to start and then maybe write her a note letting her no gently she might want to find a better deodrant.

Viviki - my feet smell when I've worn shoes without socks..even though I wash my feet loads and put shoe spray in my shoes! I'm gonna start putting talc on them or something. Only I notice the smell but still I don't like it!!

oh god! Girls talking about their smelly feet. This is BAD! I can't really think of a bigger turn-off to be honest, although there are probably worse places to smell bad.

and it's true that wearing shoes without socks is very unhygienic but of course you're not going to be wearing socks with open-toe shoes or sandals or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will)
    I'd get close to the person (not with other people around, to protect their feelings), then squint at them suspiciously and say 'Are you not wearing deodorant today?'

That implies to them that you've only just noticed the smell, and perhaps that they don't smell all the time, but they may get the message.
    That's a good one... the solution of the poster at the top of this page is good as you'd be honest, but it's maybe brutally honest. You don't have to tell them that everyone's noticed they smell. How bad would that be for the person on the other side. To start off, just tell them that you've noticed they smell a bit. If they don't seem to take it seriously, then you might consider telling them how bad the problem is.

ReputationRep:
    people always used to notice a smell around my sister's friend, but she never said anything to her i think it would hurt a lot to be told you smell badly would it not? you could sort of casually use a body spray in front of them and say how you're always worried about it kind of thing... maybe they would emulate your behaviour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lirael Abhorsen)
    people always used to notice a smell around my sister's friend, but she never said anything to her i think it would hurt a lot to be told you smell badly would it not? you could sort of casually use a body spray in front of them and say how you're always worried about it kind of thing... maybe they would emulate your behaviour
    No, it wouldn't work. You have to tell them clearly that they don't smell good.

ReputationRep:

!
    well thigs she might do,not the spray thing but maybe she should wash the armpit area of her shirt,because if the shirt was smelly it wont do her anygood,and erm she must always wash before putting deodorant :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

:puke:

Oh comon, some things should keep to yourself!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh thats tough. Once at school this lass said the the other that 'when you walked past I could smell a whiff of BO' which was true but really didnt go down to well, sometimes honestly isn't the best policy!

ReputationRep:
    During my last year of sixth form, during most classes I sat next to this huge guy with long hair, a bit of a beard most of the time, who was into fiction/fantasy stuff, video games and also... thai boxing :confused: and seriously he smelt really disgusting.
    I don't think I ever told him simply because I really didn't want him as an enemy. The scary thing is that after a month, I couldn't even smell anything anyway. Or maybe it's just his hygiene that improved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * gemchicken *)
    Oooh thats tough. Once at school this lass said the the other that 'when you walked past I could smell a whiff of BO' which was true but really didnt go down to well, sometimes honestly isn't the best policy!
    If you're going to let them know, honesty is the best way. The thing is, you need tact which is a whole different thing.
    Actually thinking back, I wonder if I didn't tell my smelly neighbour in class a few times "It kind of smells, doesn't it?" but I really had to tread carefully as I didn't want this guy to hate me.
    He also was really into this girl without his feelings being reciprocated. I think that might have made him a bit more conscious about his hygiene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, at uni one of my friends was really drunk and said to this girl "this is deodorant. you night want to try it" and sprayed loads at her. That wasn't a good approach.
    i think that is as funny as ****. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    oh god! Girls talking about their smelly feet. This is BAD! I can't really think of a bigger turn-off to be honest, although there are probably worse places to smell bad.

and it's true that wearing shoes without socks is very unhygienic but of course you're not going to be wearing socks with open-toe shoes or sandals or whatever.
    whats worse? going down on a girl and it smells like silage?

ReputationRep:
    I just go "Damn dude, you reek." I laugh, they laugh, and the next day the problem is sorted. My response when people tell me I smell, "Well what do you expect, I haven't had a bath for a week." It goes down well.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.