Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    I also hate the way people go on about how exams are getting easier. I had an idea, for that channel 4 show "That'll Teach 'em" (where they make kids do exams from the 50's to see how they compare) and I think they should do it the other way around, take some people who went to school in the 50's and see how they do in the modern education system. If exams really are easier, it should be clear to see.
    Very good suggestion- maybe all on :tsr: should sign a huge petition and we should send it to Channel 4 asking them to do that.

ReputationRep:
    It's because girls have higher aspirations.

That's interesting - never thought about it that way before. I certainly cannot be accused of not having high aspirations - but I think it is also very important to have realistic ones as well. Having aspirations helps you to progress I think - although if you sett them too high, you just end up being disappointed.

I like the suggestion about the ''That'll teach 'em'' programme - it would be interesting - especially since some of the content in some subjects has changed so dramatically since the 1950's, it is almost impossible to compare. It's interesting how, generally speaking, people that make those type of comments are those who work in the media, who are therefore not directly involved in the education system, - perhaps they would be a little more appreciative of our efforts if they were!

ReputationRep:
    People only believe GCSE's are easier as the exams are now clearer. Where as before students may have had to write an obscure essay, now the questions are split and made easier to answer. Furthermore, teaching is more structured to help students pass the exams with exam techniques, and students are now more motivated as they realise why they have to pass them. Furthermore, our parents cannot answer the questions we are asked as the curriculum and teaching methods have changed.

ReputationRep:
    Very well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally_Ally)
    Don't turn on the radio or the news channels, they'll just make you more nervous
    Ergh, I'm already feeling nervous

EDIT: But thank you for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauncouldstone)
    I like the suggestion about the ''That'll teach 'em'' programme - it would be interesting - especially since some of the content in some subjects has changed so dramatically since the 1950's, it is almost impossible to compare.
    That is very true. You can't really compare the same subject to 50 years ago, as the syllabus must have changed so dramatically that we probably didn't learn much of what was learnt back then and vice versa.

And I don't think that GCSEs and A-Levels are necessarily easier. Maybe it is because of the change in the way in teaching, or the availability of more books to more people or something. Other factors, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthrax)
    OMG. It's a piece of paper and I'm sorry to burst the bubble of all those who handed their lives over to the education system but it's a waste.
    waste?! :confused: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    I also hate the way people go on about how exams are getting easier. I had an idea, for that channel 4 show "That'll Teach 'em" (where they make kids do exams from the 50's to see how they compare) and I think they should do it the other way around, take some people who went to school in the 50's and see how they do in the modern education system. If exams really are easier, it should be clear to see.
    That would be a really good idea. I enjoyed both of the "That'll Teach 'em" series, and it would definitely be interesting to see which they found harder/easier.

ReputationRep:
    My friend said she heard on the radio that the percentage of people this year passing GCSE's have again risen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEAD BOY)
    My friend said she heard on the radio that the percentage of people this year passing GCSE's have again risen!
    But that's a good thing for us, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestone)
    Of course, but that's going to mean even more people saying 'see, that's proof that exams are getting easier!' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. Yes because it means you have a greater chance of having passed. No, because if your someone who was likely to pass anyway it means there is greater competition for college places etc.

ReputationRep:
    in an ideal world, only you and future wife will pass.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.