Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reliable set of world rankings for universties anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see how you can compare them as every government has completly different ways of compiling the statistics.

ReputationRep:
    no, nowhere

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about any universities outside the UK. How ignorant of me.
    Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    There's one somewhere that has about 4 US universities, Oxford, another load of US unis, Cambridge, ICL...

Or I think ICL might have been higher than Oxford or Cambridge, I dunno...

Basically we all know the Brit ones are best, unless you want to do something really unusual.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showthrea...world+rankings

See the link in that thread, not thought to be reliable... thought you might still want to see it though.

ReputationRep:
    looks like complete nonsense to me...

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the top 5 UNIS in the world are in the US and these include 5 of the 10 ivy league school..(ie. Harvard, princeton, etc).
    Oxford and Cambridge come later on in the rankings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mb85)
    Apparently the top 5 UNIS in the world are in the US and these include 5 of the 10 ivy league school..(ie. Harvard, princeton, etc).
    Oxford and Cambridge come later on in the rankings
    The five universities in question - Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial and UCL - at present receive one third of the £1bn to fund research annually, and respectively claim the top five positions in this year's Sunday Times university league tables. However, an unofficial ranking of the world's best universities, using criteria such as faculty quality and facilities, put all five outside the top 25, with prestigious American institutions Princeton, Harvard and Yale taking the top three positions.

I was referring to this table:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...&output=gplain

ReputationRep:
    Tokyo ahead of Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Jools i cant see cambridge on that list anywhere? and that list is such bollox, it put ox at no.38 LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzie)
    Jools i cant see cambridge on that list anywhere? and that list is such bollox, it put ox at no.38 LOL
    Cambridge is 28th. And the tables prove that Seer's question is impossible to do an accurate league.

ReputationRep:
    ooh ok, the table was really hard to understand coz it had no formatting, on my screen anyway :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    I don't have an exact link to quote but if you go to the EducationGuardian online and then to Higher Education they have a link to the most recent world rankings.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.