Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ... is Ireland...

http://www.economist.com/theworldin/...3372495&d=2005

ReputationRep:
    How does that make Ireland the worlds best country? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It makes Ireland the country with the highest quality of life, out of a sample of countries, according to the economist.

ReputationRep:
    "Britain languishes in 29th place"

what a surprise :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's good to know that Slovenians have it better than us and that Chileans aren't too far behind!

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i reckon it is the north that dragged us down :p:

ReputationRep:
    *breathes deep breaths and calms*

I was thinking the same actually!

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't Norway or one of the other scandinavian countries the best country in the world in terms of standards of living?

ReputationRep:
    I think a truly objective way to measure the "quality of life" in a country is to measure its migration patterns. The Economist survey might claim that Greece is better than France, but I doubt there are many Frenchmen moving to Greece, or any Russians moving to Pakistan or Indonesia for that matter. Ranking Mexico and Chile above the Czech Republic and Israel is also ridiculous. Inevitable these surveys come down to what weight you give to each variable.

(Original post by Alexdel)
    Wasn't Norway or one of the other scandinavian countries the best country in the world in terms of standards of living?
    Norway was the richest country in the world until a few years ago (due to its extensive oil reserves), but America is now richer (this excludes Luxembourg because a country must have more than 3 citizens).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Norway was the richest country in the world until a few years ago (due to its extensive oil reserves), but America is now richer (this excludes Luxembourg because a country must have more than 3 citizens).
    No I'm not talking about GDP per capita....

Norway is higher than the US in GDP per capita...

This is irrelevant since we are talking about standard of livings for everyone not just for the super rich like Gates who make the GDP per capita figure in measuring standards of living, worthless.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not talking about GDP per capita....

Norway is higher than the US in GDP per capita...

This is irrelevant since we are talking about standard of livings for everyone not just for the super rich like Gates who make the GDP per capita figure in measuring standards of living, worthless.
    Wrong: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2004rank.html

You can always use median income instead, a stat in which the US is number one as well.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/.../2004rank.html

You can always use median income instead, a stat in which the US is number one as well.
    No you are wrong:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_gdp_cap&int=-1

note the 2005 at the bottom of the stats...

ReputationRep:
    I think a truly objective way to measure the "quality of life" in a country is to measure its migration patterns. The Economist survey might claim that Greece is better than France, but I doubt there are many Greeks moving to France, or any Russians moving to Pakistan or Indonesia for that matter. Ranking Mexico and Chile above the Czech Republic and Israel is also ridiculous. Inevitable these surveys come down to what weight you give to each variable.

Luxembourg only has 3 citizens :confused: ?

ReputationRep:
    No you are wrong:

No, your source is wrong. It even cited the CIA factbook as its only source. The CIA factbook page was updated in July, your source used the CIA factbook update from March, and was probably using the data from 2003.

(Original post by Darth)
    Luxembourg only has 3 citizens :confused: ?
    That was a slight exaggeration.

ReputationRep:
    No, your source is wrong. It even cited the CIA factbook as its only source. The CIA factbook page was updated in July, your source used the CIA factbook update from March, and was probably using the data from 2003.
    Of course one of the most respected if not the most accurate site out there is wrong....and you are right...

Anyway it hardly matters when it comes to whhich is the best country in the world...you just quoted it in an attempt to show the US is top of something...

ReputationRep:
    Oh. I feel quite stupid for even cosidering that Luxembourg really had 3 citizens, i had no idea that you were exaggerating, you don't do so as a rule. I expected you'd pile on me loads of evidence proving that Luxembourg did have only 3 valid citizens :frown:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth)
    Oh. I feel quite stupid for even cosidering that Luxembourg really had 3 citizens, i had no idea that you were exaggerating, you don't do so as a rule. I expected you'd pile on me loads of evidence proving that Luxembourg did have only 3 valid citizens :frown:
    You live and learn. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think a truly objective way to measure the "quality of life" in a country is to measure its migration patterns. The Economist survey might claim that Greece is better than France, but I doubt there are many Greeks moving to France, or any Russians moving to Pakistan or Indonesia for that matter. Ranking Mexico and Chile above the Czech Republic and Israel is also ridiculous. Inevitable these surveys come down to what weight you give to each variable.
    Not two bad posts in one day! :eek:
    Usually you are extremely good.

The last two sentences are, I believe, correct.

Migration patterns are a terrible indicator (one that only an american or a frenchman would endorse!).
    You assume that people migrate primarily because of quality of life. It also implies that the quality of life in the country they move to, is the country with the best standard of living.
    There are several things wrong here.

1)There is imperfect knowledge. People do not know a lot about other countries (the US is famed for being insular).
    2) Some countries have an unfair advantage which have nothing to do with standard of living (at least not directly). Holywood propaganda is the most obvious example.
    3) People often move to a country which is similar to their own in culture. And englishman would be more likely to move to the US or Australia because the language is the same there. France or Germany, despite having similar standards of living would seem less attractive.
    4) Some countries have an unfair disadvantage. Ireland tends to live in the shadow of Great Britain (more specifically London). If people are going to move to one of these two islands, then they are most likely going to move to London, due to the 'glitz' factor. Culturally, Ireland and Great Britain are extremely similar...
    5) Some people do not have a choice where they move to. If I got a job in China as head of a corporation there, I would not be able to live in...Italy, say.
    6)Some countries have tighter immigration laws than others. This tends to independent (dammit, it IS independent) of the quality of life. An economic migrant from Saudi Arabia would likely move to Egypt, Tanzania or even Germany. The US and the UK would probably be less inclined to let him in without severe checks... (I am not implying anything about Germany!)

ReputationRep:
    No you are wrong:

british virgin islands seem like a paradise to me with 110000 dollar gdp per capita.lol

ReputationRep:
    The best coutry in my opinion in Britain (preferably Scotland) followed by Ireland, then the USA, then Canada. But then, I would not like to live in a Francophone coutry or one that doesn't speak English. I'm a bit of an xenophobe that way. In fact, I would seem to be a rather big xenophobe, seeing as I consider anyone not living in my home county as a foreigner and therefore inferior.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.