Turn on thread page Beta

Hairdye on carpet watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My mum accidently spilt black hairdye all over a patch of my carpet in my bedroom. It looks really bad and Ive used soap and water, carpet shampoos and vanish. But all they've done is made the dye colour abit lighter. Still looks really bad.

How can I remove it without damaging the carpet?

Love BlueAngel xx

ReputationRep:
    Is it permanent hairdye or the stuff that washes out after 20 washes or something?

If the latter then you'll just have to be persistant with it and it should come out eventually. If the former, then I have no idea how you can shift it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Is it permanent hairdye or the stuff that washes out after 20 washes or something?

If the latter then you'll just have to be persistant with it and it should come out eventually. If the former, then I have no idea how you can shift it.
    I think its permanent, although, my mum uses it on her bits of white hair, but after a month or so, she has to use it again, so maybe its semi permanent.

ReputationRep:
    You might need to get a carpet cleaner in to it, be careful what you put on it, a lot of DIY stuff can make things worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    You might need to get a carpet cleaner in to it, be careful what you put on it, a lot of DIY stuff can make things worse.
    Yeah I tried some old carpet shampoo I had, the one which you put in vacuum cleaners, and I think it made the dye soak into it more and made it go worse. I think I'll hit the DIY shops tmrw. oooo how fun :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Red Wine will get that out. Alternatively, try bleach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    Red Wine will get that out. Alternatively, try bleach.
    I'll try the red wine.
    But bleach :eek: are you joking?

ReputationRep:
    heheh or learn to live with it! My carpet is full of splotches of hair dye, a brand new purple blotch joined thme a couple of days ago. I think ti makes the room original and gives it character, either that or I am too lazy to attempt to get it off!

ReputationRep:
    dont put red wine on it...

mean person who ever said that:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalibantre)
    dont put red wine on it...

mean person who ever said that:p:
    very very cruel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    very very cruel
    How about white wine? I don't know if it would work but i hear it can get stains out and if it doesn't work it proabably wouldn't stain(much) because its white wine not redwine.

i just did a google but how bout this
    http://www.ehow.com/how_18790_clean-hair-dye.html

ReputationRep:
    My mum accidently spilt black hairdye all over a patch of my carpet in my bedroom. It looks really bad and Ive used soap and water, carpet shampoos and vanish. But all they've done is made the dye colour abit lighter. Still looks really bad.

Love BlueAngel xx
    Oops! If your mum did it, get her to buy you a new carpet.

ReputationRep:
    could get a mat to lay over the area and cover it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~cherrykisses~)
    could get a mat to lay over the area and cover it
    Yeah thats what Ive done, just put a rug on it that matches my curtains and told my mum to give me laminate flooring

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't your mum clear it up??? Seriously, I wouldn't care at all about a stain if my mum didn't.

ReputationRep:
    That Vanish stuff's supposed to get tuff like hair dye out; not sure if it works though.

Apparently if you add Coca-Cola to fabric softener in a washing machine it helps to lift out wine and grass stains, maybe that'll work. Failing that lay the guilt trip on dear old Mum.

ReputationRep:

Love BlueAngel xx
    http://www.diynot.com/pages/st/st031.php
    http://www.anyclean.co.uk/cleaning_t..._dye_stain.htm
    hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Felt tip pens

ReputationRep:
    dye the rest of the carpet.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.