This discussion is closed.
princess-renamed
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
wha about in england whtas the highest paid job here? n wha degree do u need to becum a stockbroker?
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by princess)
wha about in england whtas the highest paid job here? n wha degree do u need to becum a stockbroker?
We have CEOs here too! But also corporate lawyers/barristers/stockbrokers are very well paid.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by princess)
economics??
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mb85)
Apparently I heard ppl who have degrees in Acturial Science are the highest paid.........
On average, maybe. However, there probably aren't many actuaries on boards of directors (?) at big companies, who will be the top earners. I expect the boards will be made up of accountants and stock brokers and the like.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
being a lawyer in the city is incredibly well paid: i shadowed a guy who can charge 450 an hour, so in a meeting one afternoon he made about 2500 quid.... and he earns a %age of the company's turnover as his salary.

or u could become a footballer... and earn 90000 a week
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeh, i want to be a lawyer in the city, loads of my cuz's mates are. Apparntly the employment rate after the law conversion is 55%!!
Perdurabo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How much can a giggolo make?
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Actuarial Science is the highest paid job in Britain
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh please, stockbrokers are the least respected finance professionals on Wall Street and even in the city (I should know I have family in the world of high finance). A stockbroker is a glorified salesman for goodness sake!!
You want money, become an investment banker at any bulge bracket firm. The money is good, but can you handle working 80 to 100hrs a week? No joke, neither are those guys, at top banks most of the graduate intake are oxbridge (at least british intake anyways). If you go anywere other than oxbridge (meaning places like bristol and ucl, NOT CRAPPY SALFORD) or lse don't even think of applying at an investment bank unless you have a 1st and even that is no guarantee. Bankers in their first year in the city can earn a TOTAL PACKAGE anywhere between £28000 and £35000+. Thats why its almost oxbridge exclusive, they want the best if they're paying you that much.
Otherwise if you want a very comfortable life but not KENSINGTON comfortable be a damn accountant (crap job), but again dont try and work for people like deloitte and pwc, these are places for only the highly educated.
Please stop thinking about money, if you have brains you will have it, if not BE A DAMN ENTREPRENEUR!!
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
yeh, i want to be a lawyer in the city, loads of my cuz's mates are. Apparntly the employment rate after the law conversion is 55%!!

soz i know this was a week ago.......but is 55% high or low for a law conversion? i'm considering it.....
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well.......for my business administration 4yr thin sandwich course at Bath.....u get to spend work placements at firms such as Deloitte and PWC.....if they only want oxbridge then they shouldn't even bother accepting students from Bath uni.......and surely if u're good enough while u're working there, they'll ask u to go back.......so is there really no hope if i finish my degree from say Bath or Warwick uni? is it really just oxbridge they're interested in?
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wonkey)
but again dont try and work for people like deloitte and pwc, these are places for only the highly educated.

well.......for my business administration 4yr thin sandwich course at Bath.....u get to spend work placements at firms such as Deloitte and PWC.....if they only want oxbridge then they shouldn't even bother accepting students from Bath uni.......and surely if u're good enough while u're working there, they'll ask u to go back.......so is there really no hope if i finish my degree from say Bath or Warwick uni? is it really just oxbridge they're interested in?

Hey Bath is a great university you have nothing to worry about, i was talking to these wannabees from low rate places. I presume you're applying for accountancy, it is a lot easier to get a job as one than an investment banker at say goldman sachs, that REALLY is oxbridge only (well with a few exceptions). Given the current climate in the city, IB jobs are very difficult to land but coming from bath i think you could give it a shot, but make sure you get a first, with some of these people anything less that 100% isn't good eneough.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
Hey Bath is a great university you have nothing to worry about, i was talking to these wannabees from low rate places. I presume you're applying for accountancy, it is a lot easier to get a job as one than an investment banker at say goldman sachs, that REALLY is oxbridge only (well with a few exceptions). Given the current climate in the city, IB jobs are very difficult to land but coming from bath i think you could give it a shot, but make sure you get a first, with some of these people anything less that 100% isn't good eneough.
lol, phew thanx for that.......i'm not feeling as bad now, i thought there was no hope. but a 1st is gonna be hard..... :s I'm actually applying for business management.....but I haven't decided whether to pick Bath or not yet. Its either Bath or Warwick but have not yet received an offer from Warwick (fingers crossed). if u have any suggestions, pls mention it. Thanx
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
actuaries can earn from £50,000 to over £100,000 a year!
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Weirdo)
actuaries earn between £50,000 and £90,000 a year!

wot degree do u need to become an actuary? accountancy?
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wonkey)
wot degree do u need to become an actuary? accountancy?
well, you could study actuarial science, but having something like a maths, computer science, or physics degree is ok as well coz you have to train for at least 5 years after uni (you get paid during that time though)
Me2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
people, don't choose you job purely on the amount of money you will earn, that way you won't be happy, and if thats all that keeps you going, at rough patches it may not be enough to stop you from dropping out (of university, or training) as you really need to be doing something you enjoy, as you will be spending the rest of your life doing this, and you appear to be choosing it for all the wrong reasons
Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got this off a site...

"Most entrants to this career will have a degree in maths, statistics or economics, although trainees can enter with an minimum of A-level maths grade B (or grade A in Maths Scottish Higher).

An actuary will join an insurance company and receive training on the job. In addition, he/she will study part-time for the examinations of the Institute or the Faculty of Actuaries. These will be completed over a five to six year period - but once you have finished, your salary goes through the roof!"

It also says that while you're trianing, you get paid between £15,000 and £25,000 (but those amounts can increase a lot if you're in the city)
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Weirdo)
actuaries can earn from £50,000 to over £100,000 a year!
I know one who earns more.
s-man
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i kno a bin-man who earns £100,000

PS. He may or may not be imaginary, i cant remember hahahahahahahah
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads