Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by wonkey)
    wot degree do u need to become an actuary? accountancy?
    Most have maths, but you can do it with any degree. Basically, you just have to proove you have the potential to pass the exams (which are very, very hard and can take up to 12 years to complete). The exams require maths that is way beyond a-level though, which is why a lot of maths graduates go into it.

If you do acturial science or maths, you get exeptions from some of the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Most have maths, but you can do it with any degree. Basically, you just have to proove you have the potential to pass the exams (which are very, very hard and can take up to 12 years to complete). The exams require maths that is way beyond a-level though, which is why a lot of maths graduates go into it.

If you do acturial science or maths, you get exeptions from some of the exams.

ahhh....cool thanx, it doesn't sound like its right for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    Hey Bath is a great university you have nothing to worry about, i was talking to these wannabees from low rate places. I presume you're applying for accountancy, it is a lot easier to get a job as one than an investment banker at say goldman sachs, that REALLY is oxbridge only (well with a few exceptions). Given the current climate in the city, IB jobs are very difficult to land but coming from bath i think you could give it a shot, but make sure you get a first, with some of these people anything less that 100% isn't good eneough.
    Hi. I have 11A* & A at GCSE, and 5As at AS (predicted 5As at A2), adn was aiming to do maths at oxford, then attempt to do investment banking, at somewhere like goldmann sachs. Unfortunately I did not get an offer, so instead I am considering either LSE or warwick, for mathematics and economics. A couple of questions, 1) which university do you suggest?, and 2) is there really no way of getting into these big firms without an oxbridge degree? cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    Hi. I have 11A* & A at GCSE, and 5As at AS (predicted 5As at A2), adn was aiming to do maths at oxford, then attempt to do investment banking, at somewhere like goldmann sachs. Unfortunately I did not get an offer, so instead I am considering either LSE or warwick, for mathematics and economics. A couple of questions, 1) which university do you suggest?, and 2) is there really no way of getting into these big firms without an oxbridge degree? cheers
    I would suggest the LSE as it goes down better with large employees like Goldman Sachs. Secondly you certainly don't need an Oxbridge degree to work for them, a 2.1 from LSE is just as well considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggy Hog)
    I would suggest the LSE as it goes down better with large employees like Goldman Sachs. Secondly you certainly don't need an Oxbridge degree to work for them, a 2.1 from LSE is just as well considered.
    Thanks a lot, but if thats so then whats the other guy chattin about. He sez his parents are in finance so he knows, and that if you havent got an oxbridge degree then you basically have no chance.

ReputationRep:
    translators also earn quite a lot - get to the top and it's upwards of £60,000 pa. also if you work freelance you can earn even more. there's a shortage atm as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, but if thats so then whats the other guy chattin about. He sez his parents are in finance so he knows, and that if you havent got an oxbridge degree then you basically have no chance.
    I have to disagree. My godfather is a Goldman Sachs partner and he values a good degree from the LSE (one of my choices) just as much as an oxford degree. Things like languages or people skills are more important to him anyway, and a lot of people with firsts from Oxford often lack these (people skills) as they are just too clever.

My aunt, who recruited accountants for a big four firm, seems to regard Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial and UCL as the best unis. I don't know if she thought they were all equally good, though. UCL seems a bit high, but that's probably because she went there .

You may be suprised to hear that the university is apparently more important than the quality of the degree. I don't know if this is true for all recruiters of accountants, or even of other recruiters from her firm, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case for most jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I have to disagree. My godfather is a Goldman Sachs partner and he values a good degree from the LSE (one of my choices) just as much as an oxford degree. Things like languages or people skills are more important to him anyway, and a lot of people with firsts from Oxford often lack these (people skills) as they are just too clever.

wow thanks thats useful information, and pleasing . What subject are you applying for at LSE, and other unis u applying to?

ReputationRep:

You have mis-interpreted what i have said, LSE IS GREAT!!!Despite my offer from Cambridge i am still considering choosing lse, but my parents and teachers are banging on at me and warning me not to make such a decision.
    I said oxbridge AND lse are well targeted by investment banks. Go to lse if you ever have the chance, you can work anywhere london, nyc, tokyo (if thats you cup of tea).
    So sorry if i mislead you.
    But surely, your chances of becoming a goldman banker is slim to non if you don't get and oxbridge or lse degree.

ReputationRep:
    You have mis-interpreted what i have said, LSE IS GREAT!!!Despite my offer from Cambridge i am still considering choosing lse, but my parents and teachers are banging on at me and warning me not to make such a decision.
    I said oxbridge AND lse are well targeted by investment banks. Go to lse if you ever have the chance, you can work anywhere london, nyc, tokyo (if thats you cup of tea).
    But surely, your chances of becoming a goldman banker is slim to non if you don't get and oxbridge or lse degree.
    Ah k yeh sorry mate I mis-read. Yeh unfortunately I did'nt get in to Oxford, but hopefully I can go to LSE, it looks spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Ah k yeh sorry mate I mis-read. Yeh unfortunately I did'nt get in to Oxford, but hopefully I can go to LSE, it looks spot on.
    Ha, I am in exactly same situation. I got rejected from Ox to read
    Maths and Stats . I need international sponsorship cos I cant afford a penny. well Ox is famous arent they?

I got an offer for Maths and Economics from Nott. and Economics,Ecnomitrics and Finance from York.

Still waiting to hear from LSE : business maths, Management Sciences.
    Imperial's Maths for Finance.

What college have you applied to ? mine was St peter's ( Sh*t hole)
    It was aweful. I had my 2nd choice in Christ Church . It was like watching primiere division club playing conference team !!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you go to the careers section of some of the best banks and management consultancies (VERY VERY POPULAR WITH OXBRIDGE STUDENTS) you will see profile of some people at the firm (choose london offices) and most will be oxbridge and lse, and theres also the other top ten uni's dotted around.
    I am aiming to work in an investment bank, BUT not as a banker but as a trader. Traders make ruffly the same as bankers BUT only work market hours, well about 60hrs a week whereas bankers can work 100hrs a week when a closing a major deal. I like the have some form of a social life, no just mingling with the pothead stockbrokers in the canteen. Oh yes you ever seen american psycho, with the hours bankers work its no wonder they take drugs. lol did you know employees at these banks are given drug tests, so i advise you guys planning on trying 'weed' when in uni not to do it. you'll probably continue using it after uni.

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is the deal, you wanna be an investment banker go to oxbridge, LSE or get a damn good 1st from the other good places (if you have any idea you'll know where i mean).
    Invesment banks have different departments, you wanna be a trader be good at maths and go anywhere in the russell group but top firms will take students from oxbridge and the other 10 or so reputable universities.
    Then there are back office jobs, crappy lower paid (BY CITY STANDARDS) jobs mainly filled by students from places like your lancasters and sheffields.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    Ha, I am in exactly same situation. I got rejected from Ox to read
    Maths and Stats . I need international sponsorship cos I cant afford a penny. well Ox is famous arent they?

I got an offer for Maths and Economics from Nott. and Economics,Ecnomitrics and Finance from York.

Still waiting to hear from LSE : business maths, Management Sciences.
    Imperial's Maths for Finance.

What college have you applied to ? mine was St peter's ( Sh*t hole)
    It was aweful. I had my 2nd choice in Christ Church . It was like watching primiere division club playing conference team !!!!!!!

I applied to stannes, which was ace, and second was wadham, which was ace. haha, so i wasa little disappointed. I almost applied to imperial for maths woth finance but didnt really like the uni. got offers for maths with economics at york, Maths/op research/stats/eco at warwick, maths at durham and bath.

it sounds like you enjoy maths, but would like to use it in a financial or economical sense, which is what i want to do i think. do you want to go into investment banking also?

ReputationRep:
    I applied to stannes, which was ace, and second was wadham, which was ace. haha, so i wasa little disappointed. I almost applied to imperial for maths woth finance but didnt really like the uni. got offers for maths with economics at york, Maths/op research/stats/eco at warwick, maths at durham and bath.

it sounds like you enjoy maths, but would like to use it in a financial or economical sense, which is what i want to do i think. do you want to go into investment banking also?
    Well ... Not sure. Thinking of being an Actuary but training is too long.
    Who earns more um.. 28 years old Qualified Actuary ? or Investment Banker ?

I do indeed enjoy Maths a lot. But dont wanna do straight maths.
    Thing is I am an international student and I will be in massive debts.
    So I really havent got a choice but to go for highest earning profession.
    I did actually applied to MORSE in warwick but phoned UCAS and changed to Imperial. Bit regretting now.

LETS BE RICH !!

ReputationRep:
    clerical administrator of neurological methodology is one of the highest overrated jobs in the country! However its all bout the mooney! So yeah be a clerical administrator of neurological methodology, that or a DJ!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illumintai)
    Well ... Not sure. Thinking of being an Actuary but training is too long.
    Who earns more um.. 28 years old Qualified Actuary ? or Investment Banker ?

I do indeed enjoy Maths a lot. But dont wanna do straight maths.
    Thing is I am an international student and I will be in massive debts.
    So I really havent got a choice but to go for highest earning profession.
    I did actually applied to MORSE in warwick but phoned UCAS and changed to Imperial. Bit regretting now.

LETS BE RICH !!
    lol yeh the other profession i was thinking about was actuary. I think earnings are similar but investment banking looks more exciting. Yeh morse looks good and i liked warwick, hee dont mean to rub it in. But im still pinning my hopes on LSE. have you got msn?

ReputationRep:
    lol yeh the other profession i was thinking about was actuary. I think earnings are similar but investment banking looks more exciting. Yeh morse looks good and i liked warwick, hee dont mean to rub it in. But im still pinning my hopes on LSE. have you got msn?

You're kidding me right?
    Yes actuary's make good money but trust me you'll certainly make much more as a banker.
    By the age of 28 most bankers will have an MBA, in fact you will rarely progress to this stage without one. At 28yrs most will be associates or senior associates.
    At this stage the performance of the firm will have a great impact on the employees total pay package. Base lets say me be £80000, but the huge salaries you often here about may take the associates total pay to amounts you cannot even comprehend. £250000 plus, i don't know, the better you are the greater your pay.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to say you're a ****ing retard. You can get a better job without a degree from the unis you mentioned. No reputable company in world has that much reliance on so called 'magic' degrees when employing.

By the age of 28 most bankers will have an MBA, in fact you will rarely progress to this stage without one. At 28yrs most will be associates or senior associates.
    At this stage the performance of the firm will have a great impact on the employees total pay package. Base lets say me be £80000, but the huge salaries you often here about may take the associates total pay to amounts you cannot even comprehend. £250000 plus, i don't know, the better you are the greater your pay.
    Please tell me you're ****ing kidding. You have an extremely warped sense of the business world if you think you're going to be a senior associate by the age of 28 and are making 100k+. You're in for a huge shock dude. The 80s are gone, all the movies you watch about stockbrokers doing lines of coke of their secretaries tits and lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills, yeah well they're movies.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.