This discussion is closed.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
If you go to the careers section of some of the best banks and management consultancies (VERY VERY POPULAR WITH OXBRIDGE STUDENTS) you will see profile of some people at the firm (choose london offices) and most will be oxbridge and lse, and theres also the other top ten uni's dotted around.
I am aiming to work in an investment bank, BUT not as a banker but as a trader. Traders make ruffly the same as bankers BUT only work market hours, well about 60hrs a week whereas bankers can work 100hrs a week when a closing a major deal. I like the have some form of a social life, no just mingling with the pothead stockbrokers in the canteen. Oh yes you ever seen american psycho, with the hours bankers work its no wonder they take drugs. lol did you know employees at these banks are given drug tests, so i advise you guys planning on trying 'weed' when in uni not to do it. you'll probably continue using it after uni.
hmmm....i think u have watched too many movies......getting a degree from oxbridge and lse does not mean u automatically get given a job at the top investment banks......MBA graduates from places such as Upenn (whorton)....MIT (sloan) and harvard/stanford business schools have trouble getting jobs as TRANIEES for investment banks..so what makes u think u will easily get a job just going to LSE or oxbridge???.....and even if they do....they are treated like absolute 'biatchess'...all they do is get coffee and food for their bosses.......and out of a trainee class of about 100.....only about 20 are left after the first year....and maybe only 10 end up working......i would advise you to read 'Liar's Poker' by Micheal Lewis....it's an autobiography of his career at Soloman Brothers......a big investment firm in the US that is closed down now i think...wake up.....u aren't vin diesel in bioler room or charlie sheen in wall street
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh yes you ever seen american psycho, with the hours bankers work its no wonder they take drugs. lol did you know employees at these banks are given drug tests, so i advise you guys planning on trying 'weed' when in uni not to do it. you'll probably continue using it after uni.
i am not usually very perceptive but i bet u are a rich white private school mommy's boy......as for social life....what do u plan on doin...having tea parties with your brethren of rich 250k+ earning fellow traders......DONT DO WEED AT UNI....COZ U WILL PROBABLY USE IT AFTER.......wtf? the only way i reckon u will get a job is if someone in your family feels sorry for u and hires u/.....
illumintai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leeroy)
lol yeh the other profession i was thinking about was actuary. I think earnings are similar but investment banking looks more exciting. Yeh morse looks good and i liked warwick, hee dont mean to rub it in. But im still pinning my hopes on LSE. have you got msn?
yeah I ve got msn.

[email protected]
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok, whatever you say. I tell you the truth and nothing else, i said going to oxbridge, lse and the like will make it that much easier. The job climate is crap now in the city so it makes it difficult for someone from one of the less reputable uni's to become a banker.
You know what, scratch that, the never will. I-banking is incredibly difficult. Did you know that banks are increasingly recruiting from the continent, lets face it we the english are not too keen on foreign languages, whereas many european graduates who end up in london banks are multi-lingual.
Don't tell me crap about the pay packages, yes base salaries may not be too huge but bonus' will get you up there. Did you know that the commissions of many estate agents in the most exclusive neighbourhoods in Surrey depend heavily on the city bonus, that shows just how big they can be. The americans are the rally big earners they will certainly be earning megabucks by age 28 (if they make it that far).
Honest, an Investment banker by age 28 at the associate level will certainly be making in excess of £100000 even in this market decline.
But hey things are looking bright and maybe when you graduate the bear market in swing (hardly).
You say you will find it just as easy to get a job if you went somewhere outside the russel group, sure if it was somewhere like exeter with a good rep but certainly the other ones (i won't mention in case someone becomes dis-heartened).
So there you have it, i know my facts if you dont believe me, click on pay on www.efinancialcareers.co.uk, or www.vault.com (American site but on the message board they can tell you about london salaries at top banks)

yes i've heard of liar's poker and the salamon brothers thing.
i know my banks, you need not tell me of them.
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
http://www.efinancialcareers.co.uk/, if the stupid site messes my links up again its
efinancialcareers website (co.uk)
but for vault its .com
_Shines_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
"Honest, an Investment banker by age 28 at the associate level will certainly be making in excess of £100000 even in this market decline."

-That's true!! A friend of mine's brother is retiring at the age of 30, he's made over £2million being an investment banker!
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
YOU SEE!!there you go.
So moutuwah or whatever your name is, you lowlife don't come hear shouting your mouth of when it's clear you don't know anything. I'm just a rich white boy ey?

Enough of that. I say if you want to be rich? Be a derivatives trader dammit.
the g
Report 15 years ago
Ok, whatever you say. I tell you the truth and nothing else, i said going to oxbridge, lse and the like will make it that much easier. The job climate is crap now in the city so it makes it difficult for someone from one of the less reputable uni's to become a banker.
You know what, scratch that, the never will. I-banking is incredibly difficult. Did you know that banks are increasingly recruiting from the continent, lets face it we the english are not too keen on foreign languages, whereas many european graduates who end up in london banks are multi-lingual.
Don't tell me crap about the pay packages, yes base salaries may not be too huge but bonus' will get you up there. Did you know that the commissions of many estate agents in the most exclusive neighbourhoods in Surrey depend heavily on the city bonus, that shows just how big they can be. The americans are the rally big earners they will certainly be earning megabucks by age 28 (if they make it that far).
Honest, an Investment banker by age 28 at the associate level will certainly be making in excess of £100000 even in this market decline.
But hey things are looking bright and maybe when you graduate the bear market in swing (hardly).
You say you will find it just as easy to get a job if you went somewhere outside the russel group, sure if it was somewhere like exeter with a good rep but certainly the other ones (i won't mention in case someone becomes dis-heartened).
So there you have it, i know my facts if you dont believe me, click on pay on www.efinancialcareers.co.uk, or www.vault.com (American site but on the message board they can tell you about london salaries at top banks)

yes i've heard of liar's poker and the salamon brothers thing.
i know my banks, you need not tell me of them.
I won't bother arguing with you further on this point, you're either some copyinh and pasting random financial information from somewhere or a schizo. You talk about investment banking, then real estate then derivatives trading, its obvious to me you know nothing besides some crap you read on some bull**** site. Thanks for the amusement, my mates really enjoyed reading your posts but I've grown weary now, see ya in the real world sometime duder.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
YOU SEE!!there you go.
So moutuwah or whatever your name is, you lowlife don't come hear shouting your mouth of when it's clear you don't know anything. I'm just a rich white boy ey?

Enough of that. I say if you want to be rich? Be a derivatives trader dammit.
look at the top 10 richest ppl in the world today....are any of them/ were any of them traders?????? i'll bet the vast majority of them are entrepeneegros.........

p.s. sorry i dont have lots of links for you to look at...coz i cant be ****ed arguing....coz its so blatently obvious that u know everything bout making money and the banking industry.....my appologies for calling u rich and white.....tooodles.....love and kisses......take care....ciao...
xxx muah
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
do i smell sarcasm?
yes but look at the times richlist, several are bankers.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
do i smell sarcasm?
yes but look at the times richlist, several are bankers.
i agree...
mb85
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I have a friend of mine and his dad plays the piano at an exacutive 5 star hotel....He claims piano players are highly paid.....and it shows with the cars he's got........... He has an X5, a Porche Cayanne S and a Lumina SS.
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well too late, i'm 18 and i only have grade 5 on the piano, those guys devote their whole lives to the damn thing.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well too late, i'm 18 and i only have grade 5 on the piano, those guys devote their whole lives to the damn thing.
i'm 17....i past grade 8 when i was in year 10......but i am nowhere as good as professionals.......they curress the notes like micheal jackson curresses a kid......and molest the notes better than late romantic composers...
illumintai
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by matouwah)
i'm 17....i past grade 8 when i was in year 10......but i am nowhere as good as him......he curresses the notes like micheal jackson curresses a kid......and molests the notes better than late romantic composers...

ta~~ public school boys ... ( no offence mate)

Only thing I can do well ,I mean really well, is breathing..
the g
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by illumintai)

I'm good at fighting.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by illumintai)

i am overseas student....in my school they beat u with bamboo sticks untill u can play an instruement to a high level....good thing my beatings didnt last more than a few years....
mb85
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
but is it fair earnin this much and drivin cars like X5 and porche when u only play the piano at sum 5 star hotel????????????? My friends dad must be doin sumthin else....is it really possible????? do piano players get paid that much.....I am really scared...help me plzzzzzz
the g
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mb85)
but is it fair earnin this much and drivin cars like X5 and porche when u only play the piano at sum 5 star hotel????????????? My friends dad must be doin sumthin else....is it really possible????? do piano players get paid that much.....I am really scared...help me plzzzzzz
he must be an oxbridge derivatives realestate trader who dabbles in investments. thats the only way he could afford such things. and he must have never set foot in another university and must take drugs during the course of a 150hour work week.
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mb85)
maybe he gets tips from some 'exacutive' hotel guests.......maybe he has sex with rabits for extra cash.....maybe he crashes his cars and fakes his death and collects money....maybe maybe he is ousama....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (164)
70.69%
No I haven't decided yet (40)
17.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
12.07%

Watched Threads