Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    HAHAHA!!!mcgill, funny i've never heard of the damn place (what a name!!).
    Anywhere in the world you go, people will have heard of oxford and cambridge, but i doubt many would have hear of the so called 'mcbrill'.
    150000 USD, yeah sure maybe as a drug dealer.

There's no way its better than oxbridge, so you just run along and go to mcgill.
    Too bad you haven't heard of it, it's one of the best universities in north american and its mba program is rated in the top ten outside of the united states by business week magazine. the $150k starting salary is pretty much ******** for any uni

Anywhere in the world you go, people will have heard of oxford and cambridge, but i doubt many would have hear of the so called 'mcbrill'.

There's no way its better than oxbridge, so you just run along and go to mcgill.
    Mcgill is a great uni, look it up.

ReputationRep:

oh come on. just cos you got an offer from cambridge.

You are just a public school boy doing whatever your "daddy" tells you.

Person who mentioned about Mcgill obviously has a wider vision and insight.

You wont say Oxbridge is better than MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford would you ?

You know those Unis in US are just as rich as international corporate companies.

ReputationRep:

you havent heard of mcgill? ....lol.......thats antoher turn off about going to Uni to the Uk......ppl like u...

ReputationRep:
    To be an investment banker do u HAVE TO do Economics at uni, or could u have done something else e.g I am going to do computing next year at imperial (if i get the marks) and a friend is doing physics at ucl, just want to know what the options are....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    To be an investment banker do u HAVE TO do Economics at uni, or could u have done something else e.g I am going to do computing next year at imperial (if i get the marks) and a friend is doing physics at ucl, just want to know what the options are....
    yeah i think u do need to have some sort of business college....why dont u consider pursing an MBA after u are done at imperial....tahts what i intend to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    yeah i think u do need to have some sort of business college....why dont u consider pursing an MBA after u are done at imperial....tahts what i intend to do...
    As far as Im aware your not allowed to do an MBA after graduation, you have to have x years of experience in the financial sector, 5 i think it is. I may be wrong, but Im sure i read this before when looking into it myself. Oh yeah, economist... what are the main differences between trading and IBanking?

ReputationRep:
    Economist I agree with you about stockbroking not being a respected profession, and I would not consider it myself. Still you can't deny that the good ones earn a lot of money (at the expense of other people lol) so if it is just money that everyone is after, it is as good as any.

Glad to see though that people are starting to realise that money is not everything, although I don't think investment bankers have the best reputation either for that matter in terms of share tips, company recommendations! Hehe

Illumanti: I wouldn't recommend applying to a US uni after 1 year in England. Either do your military service and then apply to university, or skip it altogether. I don't think investment banks will necessarily reject you on account of your age, provided that you get the necessary grades and perform well enough in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    As far as Im aware your not allowed to do an MBA after graduation, you have to have x years of experience in the financial sector, 5 i think it is. I may be wrong, but Im sure i read this before when looking into it myself. Oh yeah, economist... what are the main differences between trading and IBanking?
    no u needd 5 years to do an executive mba........u can do MBA rite after....check this link.... http://www.uk-learning.net/t21827.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Of course not, I can see why you'd think so.
    Thats the great thing about these banks, the training is excellent (not uncommon to be whisked off to nyc for training).
    An imperial degree is definately highly valuable, just make sure you do well.
    I know of a girl who works at morgan stanley in canary wharf, she read mml at cambridge. Goes to show how far an oxbridge degree can carry you.

ReputationRep:
    investment bankers spend hours hunched behind computers, poring over financial statements, and churning out spreadsheets by the pound. traders keep one eye on their Bloomberg screen, a phone over each ear, and a buyer or seller on hold every minute the market’s in session. Traders work hand in hand with the institutional sales group, whose members hop from airport to airport trying to sell big institutions a piece of the new stock offering they have coming down the pipeline. Then there are the analytically minded research analysts, who read, write, live, and breathe whichever industry they follow.
    btw that was a copy and paste, call me lazy.

ReputationRep:
    investment bankers spend hours hunched behind computers, poring over financial statements, and churning out spreadsheets by the pound. traders keep one eye on their Bloomberg screen, a phone over each ear, and a buyer or seller on hold every minute the market’s in session. Traders work hand in hand with the institutional sales group, whose members hop from airport to airport trying to sell big institutions a piece of the new stock offering they have coming down the pipeline. Then there are the analytically minded research analysts, who read, write, live, and breathe whichever industry they follow.
    btw that was a copy and paste, call me lazy.
    cool, i spent a fair bit of time with the institutional sales desk wen i did work experience at hsbc in canary wharf, sounds good. Just gotta hope i get an offer form LSE now, to set me on my way.

ReputationRep:
    My Uncle earns £450,000 a year as a international armoured car consultant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJGoodwill)
    My Uncle earns £450,000 a year as a international armoured car consultant!
    what the hell does one of those do?

ReputationRep:
    An Oxbridge degree is certainly not essential for trading...my cousin who has only a 2.2 from Newcastle is now a trader because a friend put him forward when he heard they were looking. But though earnings are potentially enormous he's in the office by 6 a.m. daily...

Can't believe that 'The Economist" hadn't heard of McGill...it's brilliant..

ReputationRep:
    what the hell does one of those do?
    He sells people [governments, embassys] armoured cars to their specification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SJGoodwill)
    He sells people [governments, embassys] armoured cars to their specification
    wow that sounds cool how did he get into that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bond)
    An Oxbridge degree is certainly not essential for trading...my cousin who has only a 2.2 from Newcastle is now a trader because a friend put him forward when he heard they were looking. But though earnings are potentially enormous he's in the office by 6 a.m. daily...

Can't believe that 'The Economist" hadn't heard of McGill...it's brilliant..
    Yes, but what firm does he work for. Unless he's a brilliant mathematician i see know way of him working at a top bank in london with only a 2:2.

OK OK maybe the mcbril thing was a bit ignorant, i;ve just asked someone and they've said it's could. Nobody's perfect.

ReputationRep:

Now now its not nice to mock others! But when he said you get paid $150000, i think he meant canadian dollars and not USD. So that would be around £60 000...which i think is about right, i dont know the exact exchange rate...but it kindof goes with what you said in your previous posts. Also you have to remember that in north america they get paid **** loads. As for McGill...ive never heard of it...maybe unlike oxbridge its not just a name. i dunno...

btw economist...would a degree in ppe get you a job in banking ... seeming that you know so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    Now now its not nice to mock others! But when he said you get paid $150000, i think he meant canadian dollars and not USD. So that would be around £60 000...which i think is about right, i dont know the exact exchange rate...but it kindof goes with what you said in your previous posts. Also you have to remember that in north america they get paid **** loads. As for McGill...ive never heard of it...maybe unlike oxbridge its not just a name. i dunno...

btw economist...would a degree in ppe get you a job in banking ... seeming that you know so much
    dammit ppe will get you a job as superman if you want it.
    I don't know what the big deal is about ppe, but its very well repested. PPE will take you places beyond your wildest dreams
    Tony Blair studied at st.johns oxford, did he read ppe?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.