Turn on thread page Beta

Why does everyone want a job in banking? I couldn't think of anything I'd hate more. Don't you think there's more to life than money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theECONOMIST)
    dammit ppe will get you a job as superman if you want it.
    I don't know what the big deal is about ppe, but its very well repested. PPE will take you places beyond your wildest dreams
    Tony Blair studied at st.johns oxford, did he read ppe?
    No he did Law

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the big deal is about ppe, but its very well repested. PPE will take you places beyond your wildest dreams

no he did law...i think

ReputationRep:

lol shame i'm not interested in PPE.........applied for E+M instead at ox.......but rejected still, so i guess it wouldn't make much difference as to what course u choose.

ReputationRep:
    lol eggy hog...you beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    Economist...what are you studying and where...?

Also would a law degree be just as valued as a PPE or Physics and Philosophy?

I don't really know what i want to do at univesity...something along the lines of what ive mentioned above...my history teacher suggested PPE which is probably what i might go into, not because she said i should do it...anwayz...i have a year and half yet to decide!

ReputationRep:
    i see know way
    they've said it's could.
    Nobody's perfect.
    quite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    Economist...what are you studying and where...?

Also would a law degree be just as valued as a PPE or Physics and Philosophy?

I don't really know what i want to do at univesity...something along the lines of what ive mentioned above...my history teacher suggested PPE which is probably what i might go into, not because she said i should do it...anwayz...i have a year and half yet to decide!
    I am in my final year of school. I have been accepted to read economics at cambridge.
    Urm, not too sure about law it seems a bit vocational to me. If I was torn between finance and law i would choose the finance related one for undergrad then you can always go to law school if finance isn't your thing.
    But i'm sure a good law degree from a good university will give you as good a chance as any.
    There's always corporate law if thats your cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    not bad this, for all you young budding economists.

http://www.efinancialcareers.com/art...7&subsection=5

ReputationRep:

do you think a joint honours maths and economics a good basis for a career in finance, in that you get an insight into both, or not as it may assume lack of commitment to one in particular?

ReputationRep:

by the sounds of thing..........a degree like business management wouldn't be highly rated?! its quite worrying now........i should have thought more carefully and stuck to my original choice of doing econ except i prefered the management courses as u get a taste of everything (acc and fin, law, marketing, econ etc).....

ReputationRep:
    the economist is like patrick bateman junior.

i mean, how can a 17 yr old be so arrogant already? you haven't even done anything in your life yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd)

i mean, how can a 17 yr old be so arrogant already? you haven't even done anything in your life yet.

cos hes in at cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd)
    its uncanny.

Oh Sussudio....

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I always failed to understand how PPE seems to get people so far in the City. I mean, the Economics is very basic and very little maths is covered, the Philosophy is interesting but pure philosophy grads never earn anything, and the Politics is only really any use if you are going into the Civil Service or Politics. Yet a lot of the investment bankers are PPE graduates. Can someone explain this to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd)

Thankfully everyone hates an arrogant person so if he carries on exactly as he is, people will try to do him over just because he pisses them off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Thankfully everyone hates an arrogant person so if he carries on exactly as he is, people will try to do him over just because he pisses them off
    In fairness he has an offer to do economics at cambridge, and knows a hell of a lot about his career of choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    In fairness he has an offer to do economics at cambridge, and knows a hell of a lot about his career of choice.
    So he says yes, though you're sadly mistaken if you think grades/university choice is everything. Attitudes, Communication Skills and the Ability to think coherently and concisely on your feet is everything thesedays. A Russell Group University certainly helps, 300+ UCAS points and above a 2:i certainly helps. If theECONOMIST comes across in an interview/consultation like he does on this forum he'll be working in some cold calling stock firm for the rest of his days. Do ignore him you potentials as he's only trying to dishearten you from reaching your goals. Russell Group university, 300+ UCAS points, 2:i in a Mathematical degree = well on your way.

ReputationRep:
    whoa whoa whoa, whats all this. I try to educate people here and all i get back is bittel comments. Look i won't say it again oxbridge will make things easier (much easier) as 2:1 in many cases are accepteble, but for many other uni's lower down the russell group table a 1st may be needed to avoid your c.v being chucked in the bin.
    Tell me how i come across as arrogant, and why would i deter people from pursuing a career in the financial services, all these accusations just don't make sense.
    I guess thats the bull you've got to live with for getting an offer at Cambridge, and i'll just have to live with it.

Oh yes someone said something about business management, as long as its from a russell group (i won't say its oxbridge only as it seems to anger many people, though i never even said that).

I don't know why PPE is highly valued, to study three different subjects all at one, i just don't know where you can deepen your knowledge to an extremely high level.

ReputationRep:
    You amuse me with your Boiler Room stereotypes.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.