This discussion is closed.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Why does everyone want a job in banking? I couldn't think of anything I'd hate more. Don't you think there's more to life than money?
Eggy Hog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by theECONOMIST)
dammit ppe will get you a job as superman if you want it.
I don't know what the big deal is about ppe, but its very well repested. PPE will take you places beyond your wildest dreams
Tony Blair studied at st.johns oxford, did he read ppe?
No he did Law
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know what the big deal is about ppe, but its very well repested. PPE will take you places beyond your wildest dreams

no he did law...i think
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

lol shame i'm not interested in PPE.........applied for E+M instead at ox.......but rejected still, so i guess it wouldn't make much difference as to what course u choose.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol eggy hog...you beat me to it
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Economist...what are you studying and where...?

Also would a law degree be just as valued as a PPE or Physics and Philosophy?

I don't really know what i want to do at univesity...something along the lines of what ive mentioned above...my history teacher suggested PPE which is probably what i might go into, not because she said i should do it...anwayz...i have a year and half yet to decide!
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i see know way
they've said it's could.
Nobody's perfect.
quite.
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Economist...what are you studying and where...?

Also would a law degree be just as valued as a PPE or Physics and Philosophy?

I don't really know what i want to do at univesity...something along the lines of what ive mentioned above...my history teacher suggested PPE which is probably what i might go into, not because she said i should do it...anwayz...i have a year and half yet to decide!
I am in my final year of school. I have been accepted to read economics at cambridge.
Urm, not too sure about law it seems a bit vocational to me. If I was torn between finance and law i would choose the finance related one for undergrad then you can always go to law school if finance isn't your thing.
But i'm sure a good law degree from a good university will give you as good a chance as any.
There's always corporate law if thats your cup of tea.
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
not bad this, for all you young budding economists.

http://www.efinancialcareers.com/art...7&subsection=5
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

do you think a joint honours maths and economics a good basis for a career in finance, in that you get an insight into both, or not as it may assume lack of commitment to one in particular?
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

by the sounds of thing..........a degree like business management wouldn't be highly rated?! its quite worrying now........i should have thought more carefully and stuck to my original choice of doing econ except i prefered the management courses as u get a taste of everything (acc and fin, law, marketing, econ etc).....
lyd
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the economist is like patrick bateman junior.

i mean, how can a 17 yr old be so arrogant already? you haven't even done anything in your life yet.
babylon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lyd)

i mean, how can a 17 yr old be so arrogant already? you haven't even done anything in your life yet.

cos hes in at cambridge
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lyd)
its uncanny.

Oh Sussudio....
Saxman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, I always failed to understand how PPE seems to get people so far in the City. I mean, the Economics is very basic and very little maths is covered, the Philosophy is interesting but pure philosophy grads never earn anything, and the Politics is only really any use if you are going into the Civil Service or Politics. Yet a lot of the investment bankers are PPE graduates. Can someone explain this to me?
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lyd)

Thankfully everyone hates an arrogant person so if he carries on exactly as he is, people will try to do him over just because he pisses them off
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
Thankfully everyone hates an arrogant person so if he carries on exactly as he is, people will try to do him over just because he pisses them off
In fairness he has an offer to do economics at cambridge, and knows a hell of a lot about his career of choice.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leeroy)
In fairness he has an offer to do economics at cambridge, and knows a hell of a lot about his career of choice.
So he says yes, though you're sadly mistaken if you think grades/university choice is everything. Attitudes, Communication Skills and the Ability to think coherently and concisely on your feet is everything thesedays. A Russell Group University certainly helps, 300+ UCAS points and above a 2:i certainly helps. If theECONOMIST comes across in an interview/consultation like he does on this forum he'll be working in some cold calling stock firm for the rest of his days. Do ignore him you potentials as he's only trying to dishearten you from reaching your goals. Russell Group university, 300+ UCAS points, 2:i in a Mathematical degree = well on your way.
theECONOMIST
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
whoa whoa whoa, whats all this. I try to educate people here and all i get back is bittel comments. Look i won't say it again oxbridge will make things easier (much easier) as 2:1 in many cases are accepteble, but for many other uni's lower down the russell group table a 1st may be needed to avoid your c.v being chucked in the bin.
Tell me how i come across as arrogant, and why would i deter people from pursuing a career in the financial services, all these accusations just don't make sense.
I guess thats the bull you've got to live with for getting an offer at Cambridge, and i'll just have to live with it.

Oh yes someone said something about business management, as long as its from a russell group (i won't say its oxbridge only as it seems to anger many people, though i never even said that).

I don't know why PPE is highly valued, to study three different subjects all at one, i just don't know where you can deepen your knowledge to an extremely high level.
onearmedscissor
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You amuse me with your Boiler Room stereotypes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (32)
8.58%
Confident (49)
13.14%
Indifferent (53)
14.21%
Unsure (93)
24.93%
Worried (146)
39.14%

Watched Threads