Turn on thread page Beta

Highest Paid Job??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Going back to the original post, i know an actuary who works for an insurance firm in the City. He is in the 5th year of his actuarial studies course (self-taught of course!) and still has a couple of years to go! The money is IS good though!

Anyway, the 3 other trainees whom he started with got firsts/upper seconds from Oxbridge/LSE. And where did my friend go? Reading! Just shows that you don't need a first from a 'premier league' uni. The fact that he has an MSc in investment banking may have helped though...

J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onearmedscissor)
    You amuse me with your Boiler Room stereotypes.
    Oh please, boiler room was about a bunch of looser stockbrokers.
    I hardly see myself goind down that route, i wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemies (ok maybe i would).

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anything about 'Mckinsey & Company'.

Is it an investment bank?

ReputationRep:
    whoa whoa whoa, whats all this. I try to educate people here and all i get back is bittel comments. Look i won't say it again oxbridge will make things easier (much easier) as 2:1 in many cases are accepteble, but for many other uni's lower down the russell group table a 1st may be needed to avoid your c.v being chucked in the bin.
    Tell me how i come across as arrogant, and why would i deter people from pursuing a career in the financial services, all these accusations just don't make sense.
    I guess thats the bull you've got to live with for getting an offer at Cambridge, and i'll just have to live with it.

Oh yes someone said something about business management, as long as its from a russell group (i won't say its oxbridge only as it seems to anger many people, though i never even said that).

I don't know why PPE is highly valued, to study three different subjects all at one, i just don't know where you can deepen your knowledge to an extremely high level.
    Firstly, you are terribly obsessed with Cambridge, it doesn't do EVERYTHING for you, although you probably don't realise this ...you will have to actually *work*. Secondly please get your head out of your arse. Thirdly if Cambridge knew the type of person they had just accepted.....LOL...your ucas app would have been shoved down the toilet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    u aren't vin diesel in bioler room or charlie sheen in wall street
    If I go to Cambridge do I get to be Ben Affleck, will a 2:1 at lse at least get me a shag jenny lopez..."I just want some chocalate love'"....no....well **** you....2RIP

THAT'S IT IM DONE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Firstly, you are terribly obsessed with Cambridge, it doesn't do EVERYTHING for you, although you probably don't realise this ...you will have to actually *work*. Secondly please get your head out of your arse. Thirdly if Cambridge knew the type of person they had just accepted.....LOL...your ucas app would have been shoved down the toilet
    I think you are being a bit unfair on the economist; his earlier posts were very useful. Secondly, no one is denying that to get to the top you need to work hard, whatever university you went to.
    However, without an oxbridge degree, your chances tend to be more limited.
    For example, a relation of mine was one of 10 graduates to join McKinsey (spelling?) when she left Oxford a couple of years ago. Of the other 9, 6 others had been to Oxbridge, 2 to the LSE and one to Bristol.
    Graduates of other universities hardly got a look in. It seems unfair but that's the way the world works

ReputationRep:
    economist do u have msn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    economist do u have msn?
    theECONOMIST, do you mind if I add you on my msn as well ? if you dont mind..

ReputationRep:
    sorry, i don't have msn but i will always be glad to answer any questions you have.

To the person who asked, Mckinsey is a world leading management consultancy firm. Jobs in this line of work are incredibly difficult to come by. I'm very sorry to say it, but again you will find it full of graduates from oxbridge, lse and the other sussell group unis.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah McKinsey is a cool career. If you get a job there, even if you only work there for a few years, then the world is your oyster!

Economist those are my thoughts exactly on PPE. Oxford does not even have a particularly good reputation for economics, the only subject there which would be any use for banking.

Oh and with the job market so competitive at the moment, a further degree can be very useful, especially if you are not an Oxbridge graduate with a first. Something like an MSc in Economics and Finance, or FInance, will greatly increase your chances of getting into an investment bank. Something to bear in mind.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are being a bit unfair on the economist; his earlier posts were very useful. Secondly, no one is denying that to get to the top you need to work hard, whatever university you went to.
    For example, a relation of mine was one of 10 graduates to join McKinsey (spelling?) when she left Oxford a couple of years ago. Of the other 9, 6 others had been to Oxbridge, 2 to the LSE and one to Bristol.
    Graduates of other universities hardly got a look in. It seems unfair but that's the way the world works
    Maybe I was a little harsh as he was quite helpful in his earlier posts HOWEVER he still comes across as very 'stuck up' and arrogant. Also, I feel that if you do work v hard at another high up russell group uni, it wouldn't be that hard to get your foot in the door. Depends on your dedication, motication etc...
    I would finally like to point out that there are alot of dodo brains going to oxbridge. This girl I know got offered ABC to do Education with Maths and yet got crappy ASs/GCSEs, is a wet trout etc hehehe. The course you do at oxbridge is also important.....econ at cambs if of course very credible, but you might still be a 'dodo' head. Anybody can read on the net the info you've provided us with....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eggy Hog)

A relation of mine also joined McKinsey 10 years ago (incidentally to s/he who asked, its the top management consultancy worldwide and a headhunter once told me that if you get in to McKinsey you "are made for life")..and of the 16 taken on, 3 were Oxford, 4 Cambridge, 3 Bristol, 3 Trinity College Dublin and balance were LSE I believe). Anyway she hated it there as she worked 18 hours a day for 18 months and then left!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bond)
    A relation of mine also joined McKinsey 10 years ago (incidentally to s/he who asked, its the top management consultancy worldwide and a headhunter once told me that if you get in to McKinsey you "are made for life")..and of the 16 taken on, 3 were Oxford, 4 Cambridge, 3 Bristol, 3 Trinity College Dublin and balance were LSE I believe). Anyway she hated it there as she worked 18 hours a day for 18 months and then left!!
    Sorry that should have been approx. 5 years ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    Maybe I was a little harsh as he was quite helpful in his earlier posts HOWEVER he still comes across as very 'stuck up' and arrogant. Also, I feel that if you do work v hard at another high up russell group uni, it wouldn't be that hard to get your foot in the door. Depends on your dedication, motication etc...
    I would finally like to point out that there are alot of dodo brains going to oxbridge. This girl I know got offered ABC to do Education with Maths and yet got crappy ASs/GCSEs, is a wet trout etc hehehe. The course you do at oxbridge is also important.....econ at cambs if of course very credible, but you might still be a 'dodo' head. Anybody can read on the net the info you've provided us with....
    Are you implying that i'm a dodo brain (whatever that is).
    Who said i won't work hard at Cambridge?
    I don't reallt care who joins me in Cambridge, what the hell does a girl getting an offer, despite bad grades, have to do with me eh?
    some people will surprise you in life, who said they didn't spot great potential in her during her interview. Maybe it's that you're jealous that you didn't get in. Then again oxbridge has many 'dodo brains' why should anyone want to go there?

ReputationRep:
    Money money money - it seriously wont make you happy - get a job you will enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Mo money, mo money, mo money.

ReputationRep:
    would u clean the bin or flip burgers if u enjoyed it and got a **** pay????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Mo money, mo money, mo money.
    like biggie said...mo money mo problems...that's just the way it is.

biggie also said "playa take of your jewls, this a ****ing robber fool"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    like biggie said...mo money mo problems...that's just the way it is.

biggie also said "We have, the playaz, and we have, the playa haters, Please don't hate me because I'm beautiful baby"
    biggie is also a fat, dead ******* who ran his mouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the g)
    biggie is also a fat, dead ******* who ran his mouth.
    that's right, he is.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.