The Student Room Group

ISA cheating? Is it and should I report it?

In the biology AQA as ISA in a class other the mine, my friend told me their teacher told the whole class what the things in the experiment title did before their written exam. I think this bit is allowed - even though my teachers never did this. Your meant to research yourself (you get the title a few weeks before).

* This is the dodgy bit - my friend was struggling on a question and their teacher was looking over their shoulders at the questions. The teacher said 'you know this' and the girl said she didn't. The teacher said 'well... what does *this and this* do' the girl said what they did (as the teacher had told them at the start - seen the paper already too). The teacher nodded.*

The teacher confirmed the answer, as well as hinting and that's not allowed right? :mad: I asked my bio teacher, she said if someone was completely stuck they could help them, then take a few marks off. However my friend got an A and always does, so she wouldn't have got a U or anything.

Sorry, I don't think I'm allowed to say the exact experiment, as it's ongoing, but the gists there. I really think this is dodgy, it's unfair to everyone taking the biology ISAs everywhere. What do you think? I don't know who I'd tell anyway. :frown: shouldn't it have been exam con ditions anyway - this ISA was in class - but the next ones we're doing are going to be in the exam hall, where this couldn't happen.

Scroll to see replies

Report it. Cheating is the worst when it comes to exams. It's unfair to everyone else doing the test.
Reply 2
To be honest, I have no idea what the real rules for ISAs are like. In my school it's not a blatant as that, but teachers are still perfectly happy to do a 'recap session' of the things which who knows, MIGHT JUST come up in the test afterward. More than once they've gone through a particular example with the class, and mentioned they might want to remember it... only for the exact question to come up.

And apparently this is all within the rules. So by all means report it, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't go anywhere. As far as I can tell ISAs are a bit of a joke. However, the moderator did take 15% off all of ours for biology this year, so I only got a B in mine :rolleyes:
Reply 3
don't be a narc
Reply 4
I wouldn't report it.

As long it does not affect you I don't see the problem.

And if you do report it and it does effect your friends result then she wont be to happy with you, yes it is unfair but so is life. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
adam271
I wouldn't report it.

As long it does not affect you I don't see the problem.

And if you do report it and it does effect your friends result then she wont be to happy with you, yes it is unfair but so is life. :s-smilie:

This.:rolleyes:
don't dob your friend in.. it's not your friends fault that the teacher gave her the answer. it doesn't effect you so i wouldn't get involved.
Reply 7
this p****** me off soooooo much. My teacher does that, but she doesn't do it to everyone including me.
and surprise surprise, i wonder who gets higher marks.............
Reply 8
Lmao, you guys are complaining about Biology?

You should see my school. :rolleyes:

My teacher didn't even tell me what an ISA was until like the morning before the exam.

:afraid:
Reply 9
lol, believe me your example is nothing compared to what happens in my school. But in saying that both classes get the same "help" so it's fair; those who actually listen and remember do well, those who don't listen and forget don't do well, and that's basically how life works tbf
Grow up is what I'd say.

The student didn't ask the teacher to cheat. What's the point in ruining his/her grade and putting the teachers job at stake? Just get on with it.

Ignorance is bliss n' all that.
Reply 11
Face it, this world is built on cheating. Live with it.

What is reporting the teacher really gonna do for you? It won't do ****, the teacher might get into a bit of trouble, and other teachers could resent you, meaning you could be in trouble when they mark your ISA papers. Plus your talking about your friend here. The teacher helped with 1 question, a few marks. Come on...
Reply 12
Report it if you want. Worse happens elsewhere and they get off. Silly ISAs...

And I do agree with the above two posts. You're going to have to get over it.
If she is your friend then don't report it because it will probably ruin your friendship.
I'm sure if you were in the same situation as your friend then you wouldn't stop your teacher from talking to you and dropping you hints. You just sound competitive to me :ninja:
Reply 15
lol I guess everyones right, it just annoys me so much. I bet other colleges cheat even worse.
My 'teacher' did this. He was just helping out.

We had to guess this element from an experiemt we carried out using water of crystallisation.

And it was X = __________

And this girl put 'Al' and he said 'Now... it says X.... not X2 so it can't be that!'
Teachers have always, and always will, cheat on coursework by helping the students. In French our teacher would peruse textbooks until she found a question that was almost identical to the one we were going to have to do in a timed coursework assessment, and make us learn the answer to that.
Gemma2010
In the biology AQA as ISA in a class other the mine, my friend told me their teacher told the whole class what the things in the experiment title did before their written exam. I think this bit is allowed - even though my teachers never did this. Your meant to research yourself (you get the title a few weeks before).

* This is the dodgy bit - my friend was struggling on a question and their teacher was looking over their shoulders at the questions. The teacher said 'you know this' and the girl said she didn't. The teacher said 'well... what does *this and this* do' the girl said what they did (as the teacher had told them at the start - seen the paper already too). The teacher nodded.*

The teacher confirmed the answer, as well as hinting and that's not allowed right? :mad: I asked my bio teacher, she said if someone was completely stuck they could help them, then take a few marks off. However my friend got an A and always does, so she wouldn't have got a U or anything.

Sorry, I don't think I'm allowed to say the exact experiment, as it's ongoing, but the gists there. I really think this is dodgy, it's unfair to everyone taking the biology ISAs everywhere. What do you think? I don't know who I'd tell anyway. :frown: shouldn't it have been exam con ditions anyway - this ISA was in class - but the next ones we're doing are going to be in the exam hall, where this couldn't happen.

Yeah I would report it, this is really unfair on everyone else. When I did mine last week we did it in the main hall and there was an invigilator there and everything, no biology teachers were in the room.

Also the bit about taking marks off the bits they had been helped on, we got told that 2 biology teachers mark the ISAs together, incase one is really harsh etc, or that one gives extra marks.

But if it is just one question, then only 1 or 2 marks were at stake, so it wouldn't really effect their grade that much, but if it is really bothering you, I would tell the head of science, or head of biology or something. :s-smilie: Good luck! :smile:
Reply 19
wow, great teacher !

Latest